SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > 2008 Mystery Subsim Challenge
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-08, 06:41 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Mystery Subsim #63

Here is the initial shot of Mystery Subsim #63

Be the first to guess correctly the name of this subsim or naval game and have your name added to the prize pool.

If you guess, and you are wrong, then you have used one of your three wrong guesses alloted to each player. Each player gets only three wrong guesses in the whole contest before your participation ends, so guess wisely (if you are really sure). If you don't know, don't waste a guess! You can only guess incorrectly three times in the contest.

You cannot EDIT your post in this contest. An edited or deleted post counts as a guess.

Remember the rules!!

If no one tries to guess this shot, or no one guesses correctly, there will be an expanded shot to follow.

Good hunting!
Neal
Onkel Neal is online  
Old 11-28-08, 07:15 PM   #2
j_o_nn_y
Loader

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Silent service I

Last edited by j_o_nn_y; 11-28-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-28-08, 07:55 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
You cannot EDIT your post in this contest. An edited or deleted post counts as a guess.
Since, your edited post has the correct answer, and no one else has posted after you, I'll count your answer as a correct guess, with one wrong guess. Why can't people follow the rulez???

The venerable Silent Service.

About the game:

Quote:
Silent Service is a 1985 submarine simulator computer game. It was designed by Sid Meier and published by MicroProse for various 8-bit home computers, and in 1987 for 16-bit systems like the Commodore Amiga. The follow up game Silent Service II was released in 1990. The game accelerates real time when not in combat, to give the game a more arcade feel and to set it apart from the episodic nature of both past submarine simulators. Sid Meier described a number of key factors that influenced the design of the game: The size of the theatre, the variety of tactical situations, and evolving technology, such as torpedoes that did or did not leave trails of bubbles on the surface, and the use of surface radar. The battle stations were compartmentalized to allow players access to a great deal of information, but also focus on the task at hand. The game's graphics are very basic and it was often difficult to distinguish cruisers from tankers, etc. However the sound is quite atmospheric, such as the sounds of shell hits when being attacked by destroyers.

In 1986, Silent Service won the Charles Roberts/Origins Award for Best Adventure Game for Home Computer of 1985. It was followed by the much more realistic Silent Service II.

Remember, an edited post or deleted post counts as a wrong guess. If someone had posted the correct quess after you, he would have won this MS.

Next up, Mystery Subsim #64, and it ain't gonna be easy.

Neal
Onkel Neal is online  
Old 11-28-08, 08:02 PM   #4
j_o_nn_y
Loader

Downloads: 58

I did put Silent Service 1 and just corrected it to Silent Service I. lol. So I think I guessed it both times right.
Old 11-29-08, 02:36 PM   #5
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

This is the first sim that I knew and I missed my chance to answer! I played this game a lot on the old NES. I still got it with the box and manuals in good condition. When my computer at the time couldn't play Command: Aces of the Deep, I played this game. Quite often I wish SH4 used the music from SS!

Last edited by Syxx_Killer; 11-29-08 at 02:37 PM.
Closed Thread