SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-10, 05:39 PM   #16
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Rgr that

But I am truly at a loss why you are experiencing problems because literally hundreds have downloaded my gramaphone tunes and I am yet to hear of any individuals experiencing any difficulty.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 06:07 PM   #17
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
That's the plan - just didn't know if anyone else had experienced issues with use of the Gram overloading their system to the point where the game crashes. I don't think that's the problem since I shouldn't be *that* close to maxing out resources, but wasn't sure how much strain it puts on everything. If it's minimal, that shouldn't be the issue here.

I will probably just put "It's A Long Way To Tiperrary" in there and let it play over and over again. That track makes me very happy.
Hey, thats my gramophone set up!
ryanglavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 08:58 PM   #18
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Rgr that

But I am truly at a loss why you are experiencing problems because literally hundreds have downloaded my gramaphone tunes and I am yet to hear of any individuals experiencing any difficulty.
Oh, I'm not assuming it's any file from your packs, I really don't know what it is. Only a few of the 20 tracks in the folder right now came from Subsim downloads, some I converted from mp3s I already had, and there may be an odd file that I picked up already in ogg format from some other source. Some of the ones that are getting skipped over are my own files, some aren't. I don't even know which track it's freezing on since it's not playing them in the designated order and freezes before I can tell which one it's trying to play when it crashes. Could be one particular file or several - I'll just have to see what happens when the game only has one file to choose from.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 08:59 PM   #19
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanglavin View Post
Hey, thats my gramophone set up!
Lol, I sometimes pull up the mp3 of it and let it play over and over again even when I'm NOT playing SH3.
Old 02-10-10, 10:53 PM   #20
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Well, after a bit of testing and experimentation, I am now more mystified than ever.

I removed everything from the Gram folder, and started putting files in one at a time.

First I put in the single file that was there after vanilla install. Went into the game, and everything works fine - except when I activate the gramophone, there are TWO files that play. One is the stock music that's in the Gramophone1.mp3 that came with the game. The other is a file that sounds like an old live recording of a speech being given in German followed by the the sound of marching feet, what may or not be gunfire or cannonfire, then more impassioned speechifying. A wartime or prewar historical recording to my ears. I can use the prev/next buttons to switch between this and the Gramophone1.mp3, which is the ONLY file that's in the Gram folder. Esc, exit, return to base, exit game.

I took out the stock mp3 and replaced it with Tarjak's RadioDL1.ogg file and went back into the game. Same deal. Now there's the mystery file, which plays first, plus the RadioDL1 track. Both play fine, I can skip backwards and forwards between the two.

Exited again and put in one of the .ogg files that always seemed to get skipped when I had a whole batch of files in there. Went back into game, now that file plays fine as well, I can use the prev/next buttons with no problem, but the mystery file plays first and is still there. Esc/exit/return to base/exit game again.

Then I took out the one .ogg file that I had just put in the Gram folder. It's now showing as empty. Go back into game, activate the gramophone, and the mystery file now plays as the one and only track even though it's NOT in the Gramophone folder. I have my folder options set to show me all files, including hidden and system files, so if it's in the Gram folder I should be able to see that it's there, right? And it's not. So where the hell is it, and why is it being included in the in-game gramophone playlist?

I never heard this file before at all, ever, when I've played the gramophone in the game. But if the game is trying to insert this mystery file into the playlist at a certain point and it's conflicting with the sequence I've set up by naming my files 001, 002, etc. - might that be what's causing the problem?
Old 02-11-10, 04:29 AM   #21
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I think what your experiencing is the games background music which is set to 'loop' playing at the same time as a gramaphone track. I'm at work right now and not sure which folder it resides in (either Music or Sounds) but IIRC can't you disable the music via the options panel (it's been so long ago since I've had cause to look in that area).

That is where I believe your problem lies.

Old 02-11-10, 08:35 AM   #22
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

But would the game treat one of those files like a gramophone track when the gramophone is activated in the game? That's the only time I'm hearing it.

It does sound like something that might play during the intro movie, and I skip that so if it does play there I wouldn't recognize it as such.
Old 02-11-10, 02:10 PM   #23
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:

But would the game treat one of those files like a gramophone track when the gramophone is activated in the game? That's the only time I'm hearing it.

It does sound like something that might play during the intro movie, and I skip that so if it does play there I wouldn't recognize it as such.
Go to: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX3.0\data\Sound\Music and temporarily take the music folder out (cut and paste to your worktop).

Load the game and see if that solves the problem.

If it does, you now need to go into your gramaphone folder and look for either a similar named track or identify the track in the music folder and remove it....then return the music folder.

You definitely have two trackd vying for the same air space.

Old 02-11-10, 02:27 PM   #24
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Go to: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX3.0\data\Sound\Music and temporarily take the music folder out (cut and paste to your worktop).

Load the game and see if that solves the problem.

If it does, you now need to go into your gramaphone folder and look for either a similar named track or identify the track in the music folder and remove it....then return the music folder.

You definitely have two trackd vying for the same air space.
Will try when I get home - I definitely want to figure out what file it is that's playing. I don't necessarily want to delete it, I just want it to play where it's supposed to play and not behave like it's in the Gram folder when it's not and crash my game by competing with files that are there.

And I can tell you, there's nothing in the Gramophone folder at all - nada -and the mystery file still played when I activated the gramophone in the game. Then and only then. I could understand if the game was trying to loop background music *as background* and not cutting it off when the gram was "ordered" to play, thus creating the conflict - but why it would treat the background music file as though it's in the Gram folder when it's not, and insert it into the game via that function - that still seems just plain bizarre to me.

Oh well. Search and destroy mission will have to wait for a couple hours at least. BUT I WILL FIND YOU, EVIL SOUND FILE!!! And when I do you will not deprive me of my toonz ever again.
Old 02-11-10, 05:52 PM   #25
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Hmm...I moved the Music folder to my desktop and out of the game folder - the game crashed when I went back in and tried to load a mission. So I moved it back. Went through and clicked on all the files in it, and none of them is the mystery track that's playing on my gramophone in the game.

I think I'm going to do a second install and open the game from there and see if the mystery file plays in that one.
Old 02-11-10, 10:25 PM   #26
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Will try when I get home - I definitely want to figure out what file it is that's playing. I don't necessarily want to delete it, I just want it to play where it's supposed to play and not behave like it's in the Gram folder when it's not and crash my game by competing with files that are there.

And I can tell you, there's nothing in the Gramophone folder at all - nada -and the mystery file still played when I activated the gramophone in the game. Then and only then. I could understand if the game was trying to loop background music *as background* and not cutting it off when the gram was "ordered" to play, thus creating the conflict - but why it would treat the background music file as though it's in the Gram folder when it's not, and insert it into the game via that function - that still seems just plain bizarre to me.

Oh well. Search and destroy mission will have to wait for a couple hours at least. BUT I WILL FIND YOU, EVIL SOUND FILE!!! And when I do you will not deprive me of my toonz ever again.
WATCHING SUBSIM AT WORK I SEE!!
Actually, thats a good idea.
Old 02-12-10, 06:04 PM   #27
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Okay, the "mystery track" that was being played by the gramophone in the game is the file Radio.wav that is included in the stock Gram folder along with Gramophone1.mp3.

Which doesn't explain why I was still hearing it on the gramophone when it was no longer in the folder, but at least I know what it was and where it came from originally.
Old 02-12-10, 06:08 PM   #28
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

I remember having one or two probs with this explicit file, too. had to deal with it until the end of the patrol and then deleted it mercilessly.
made me angry.
Old 02-12-10, 06:33 PM   #29
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

This is what's weird. Even when I delete it from the folder, IT STILL PLAYS in the game as though it's there.

I just went in and deleted it and went back into the game, and when I click on the gramophone and shuffle through the available tracks, it plays. And it's not in the folder! WTF?

What did you do to get it off the gramophone playlist? Because in my case deleting it from the Gram folder is not working.

I guess I could put it back and see if having it there keeps the game from crashing when I try to play other tracks, and then just skip over it when it comes up in the sequence... but it still doesn't make sense to me that it plays after being deleted.

Edit: I just did a search and there is no file by that name in the game folder, and no file containing that filename in the game folder. But it does appear in the Gramophone folders of 34 subfolders of the SH3 Commander/Date directory.

All 34 instances have the same filename, but the actual wav track differs depending on date. So I'm assuming that this is designed to substitute a more date-appropriate track for the Radio.wav that comes in the game, and if that's been deleted entirely...

I wonder if I can just rename all the files to 001.wav, and then select one that I don't mind playing all the time, and put that in all the folders plus the game's Gram folder. And let that be the first song in the playlist all the time. I don't have a problem with that, but will it work? Or maybe just copy my desired 001.ogg file into the game's Gram folder plus all the relevant folders in SH3 Commander and delete all instances of the Radio.wav file.

Or is it safe to just delete all the Radio.wav files from Commander and the game folder, and leave it at that?

Well I'm off to search the SHCommander thread and see if this has been covered. Probably has, lol.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 02-12-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-12-10, 07:41 PM   #30
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Well I'm off to search the SHCommander thread and see if this has been covered. Probably has, lol.
Well, to have the conversation here would help anyone else with a similar problem, who don't have to go searchin. So its good to have another one.

Tags
gramophone, radio.wav, sh3 commander