SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-16, 12:08 AM   #2026
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

I'll be downloading the 2.5 beta. What's not included in it, that's sitting on the shelf?
According to my scorecard, s7rikeback and Jeff-Groves are working together on the names issues, which also includes some of the airplanes. s7rikeback will probably be on here "early" tomorrow our time, since he's somewhere in the UK, and can probably update his portion then.

cdrsubron7 and myself are working on chasing down that elusive magically spawining 100 ship convoy of DDs in the Campaign, and since max-peck gave us a campaign files update, that will get incorporated into that - if we get it chased down...

In the meantime, back at the ranch, Rockin Robbins is waiting on a new, larger hard drive, in order to install Linux, since his Windows install got fogged up. He did incorporate your last versions of changes into the core... and to add insult to injury, Google Drive slowed to a crawl tonight.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 12:17 AM   #2027
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
In the meantime, back at the ranch, Rockin Robbins is waiting on a new, larger hard drive, in order to install Linux, since his Windows install got fogged up. He did incorporate your last versions of changes into the core... and to add insult to injury, Google Drive slowed to a crawl tonight.
It's been about 15 minutes and the download of 0.25 is up to 90MB!?!

I'm not waiting up for it.

My other computer is down too due to sending back the new video card I bought the other day being DOA. I'll have to go shopping again before it gets up and running.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 08:17 AM   #2028
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

None of these on-line file services are going to be super fast. Mediafire and the usual suspects are slowest, purposely holding you up for cash in order to download faster than a crawl. Unless you're prepared to shell out money.........HOLD IT! Torrent is the way to go, but we don't have enough people who would share the file to accelerate it properly, so it wouldn't be any better for this particular application. Just about all Linux distributions are done by Torrent because it's just much faster than other methods.

Tried Box this morning, my previous favorite file host before Google. I had forgotten why I kicked them to the side of the road. No single files over 250 GB unless.......wait for it.....you pay.

So I whipped over to my Dropbox account. I am very surprised that they accepted our 1 GB mod and it's uploading now. It is about fifteen minutes slower than the 22 minutes it took to upload to Google. So we'll see what the download speeds are like.

I say when you are downloading a gigabyte, it's not a watch the @#$$% thing download kind of thing. It's a start the download, shove it in the background and do something else. Come back in an hour to see how it's going.

I'm going to try the Google download and see how it goes on my computer. I'll let you know.

In the meantime Dropbox is uploading IN THE BACKGROUND where I don't have to watch the thing. I'll distribute links when I'm done.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 08:19 AM   #2029
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Correction: I am working on Linux now (maybe a reason Google Drive works so well for me and not for Windows users?), but don't have a large enough hard drive to allow me to run FOTRS Ultimate. I am running GFO with no problems at all. It's darned smooth, as a matter of fact.

If Microsoft drop-kicks Windows 7 (a distinct possibility) I won't miss them a bit.
Old 09-20-16, 08:33 AM   #2030
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Musta been lucky last night as I had no trouble d/ling the Betav0.25 last night.

max's Razzle Dazzle is not showing up in the Beta version now.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 09-20-16 at 11:00 AM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 09:06 AM   #2031
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Musta been lucky last night as I had no trouble d/ling the Betav0.25 last night. ...
My download for this machine went relatively fast last night, but the other computer was at it for quite a while. In fact, it was still downloading when I hit the rack. I haven't gone to check it yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
... max's Razzle Dazzle is not showing up in the Beat version now.
I'm wondering if max-peck's RazzleDazzle file "names.cfg" gets overwritten by the newer changes, and the skins have no guidance?

Also cdrsubron7, I'm in the process of trying to make a test mission that works consistently at creating the runaway spawn, and hopefully by noon time, I'll PM you with a link to it. If it works, it's our "proof"...

Edit: Almost forgot to mention there Rockin Robbins! The Graf Spee is again causing the ME to throw an error "The unit class BCGrafSpee from country German not found in the platforms library".

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-20-16 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Graf Spee & the ME
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 09:47 AM   #2032
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Looks like when you reassign ship names RazzleDazzle need a rewrite to match. Looks like a job for v0.27 or v0.3, whenever it gets done. It's important enough that I'd stop the presses to put it in there immediately.

Also, I noticed a white stripe on the bottom of the new flag. Photobucket didn't show it but GIMP spilled the beans that it was the original graphic. I fixed it and the new image is http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps20sdggxn.jpg
Old 09-20-16, 09:53 AM   #2033
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloading FOTRS Ultimate v.025 at an average of ~2900 KB/s from Google Drive. Couldn't ask more of any download site! I'm more than satisfied with that speed. Of course I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu 16.04 and that removes a lot of roadblocks inherent in Windows. Total download time: 4:59, that's four minutes fifty-nine seconds.
Old 09-20-16, 10:59 AM   #2034
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Downloading FOTRS Ultimate v.025 at an average of ~2900 KB/s from Google Drive. Couldn't ask more of any download site! I'm more than satisfied with that speed. Of course I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu 16.04 and that removes a lot of roadblocks inherent in Windows. Total download time: 4:59, that's four minutes fifty-nine seconds.
Used Firefox and Win 10. Take a deep breath and count to 10, Boss. Your blood pressure is high enough already.

Old 09-20-16, 11:01 AM   #2035
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
My download for this machine went relatively fast last night, but the other computer was at it for quite a while. In fact, it was still downloading when I hit the rack. I haven't gone to check it yet...

I'm wondering if max-peck's RazzleDazzle file "names.cfg" gets overwritten by the newer changes, and the skins have no guidance?

Also cdrsubron7, I'm in the process of trying to make a test mission that works consistently at creating the runaway spawn, and hopefully by noon time, I'll PM you with a link to it. If it works, it's our "proof"...

Edit: Almost forgot to mention there Rockin Robbins! The Graf Spee is again causing the ME to throw an error "The unit class BCGrafSpee from country German not found in the platforms library".
Will check it out when you get down, my friend.

Old 09-20-16, 11:17 AM   #2036
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Hey Guys

Check this out. It's pretty kewl.

Old 09-20-16, 11:38 AM   #2037
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Just wondering if any of you guys have heard from max lately? Haven't seen him around here lately. Hope everything is OK.

Old 09-20-16, 12:59 PM   #2038
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

If I was at home I'd pop a 500 GB HD in the mail for ya RR.
Old 09-20-16, 01:05 PM   #2039
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Well, I have half that size getting fitted with new partitions:

Now I have to wait for the copy, extend the partition to take up the remaining space on the 250 GB disk, do myself a little "sudo apt-update grub". If that doesn't work it's "sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub && sudo grub-install" and THEN "sudo apt-update grub". Then I'll be able to boot right into a much larger partition. Also note that this is a non-destructive process. If it all goes to worms you haven't lost anything and can try again. And this is a free operating system with all free software doing the heavy lifting of expensive Windows alternatives--most of the time doing it better.

It's amazing to have an operating system that trusts the user and isn't afraid to give them micro-control of their own machine.

Half done copying the partition from the smaller hard drive to the larger.....

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-20-16 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 01:08 PM   #2040
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

I've got several HD's at home. I find them at job site from time to time.
I added a 150 GB to my Notebook which already had a 500 GB in it.
It's Bitlocked.
I also carry a 1 TB external with me.

.25 Beta came down from Google fine this time.
Maybe a bunch of people were DLing last nite and caused my problem.
That and a crap Motel connection.

Oh yea. I'm online early today as I told them to kiss my stinky part I'm taking half a day off!!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 09-20-16 at 01:35 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote