Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-19-13, 09:03 AM   #1
Dammit_Carl!
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default SF2 - Wings over Viet Nam - Mod query

Okay. I'm slowly getting to a more "modern," sort of flight sim and pounding Charlie with napalm sounds fun. That, and my computer won't push some of the newer stuff so SF2 is a good trade-off it seems (pity about the multiplayer issue, though).

So, I get a good idea that the primo mods (for SF2 WoV in particular) are over at Combat Ace but I've tried 3-4 times to register there at this point to no avail. Fine.

1. Any of you fine people have these mods hanging around in an unpacked state?

&/or

2. Know of any other happening joint that I can get my SF2 WoV mod fix on?

Thanks!
Dammit_Carl! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 09:35 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Sorry, don't know any here that play it, but there maybe someone.
Old 02-23-13, 02:28 PM   #3
Dammit_Carl!
Torpedoman

Follow up:

Finally made onto Combat Ace - damn. There are a whole crapload of things to download for WoV. I'm impressed.

Think I'll go with the Israel themed game if this thing works out well.
Old 03-28-13, 03:55 PM   #4
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

After watching a bunch of vids. on YouTube, I decided to get WOV plus the YAP2 mod. Actually, there is now a YAP3, which is a separate D/L. So, for $33, $36 with the shipping, I get the WOV disc, the YAP2 disc, plus the YAP3 D/L.
From what I could see, and from what I've read, YAP did for WOV, what the Firepower addon did for CFS3. The graphics are much improved plus the addition of many objects to add to the immersion. Looks just as good IMO as CFS3 and BOB2WOV. We'll see how it goes.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-13, 05:15 AM   #5
Dammit_Carl!
Torpedoman

The Yankee Air Pirate set does look interesting - please keep us (well, me) informed on how it goes.
Old 03-29-13, 06:36 AM   #6
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Don't expect too much in the way of physics and realistic aircraft handling though. I've played WoV for some time (without major mods though) and the physics are extremely arcadish.
Old 04-16-13, 07:51 AM   #7
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

Just thought I'd give an update on the YAP3 install, albeit a late report It's up and running, and I must say that so far, I'm impressed I know it's not state of the art compared to more modern sims, but as far as I could tell, the YAP team has done a superb job in giving this title a makeover. The graphics are good IMO thanks to the team's efforts to add a heck of a lot of objects (especially the carriers, which will kill your FR until you take off) to add to the immersion. The landscape was redone and from altitude, the jungles look convincing. As for the flight models, I have everything set to realistic, and although I really don't know if it's true to life, I will say that I can't pull off any crazy moves without consequence.
The only drawback is that you could only fly single missions that have, up to this time, been converted to the YAP3 format. Trying to fly the stock missions or campaign will cause a CTD. Another thing is that you need to purchase the mission sets, as they become available (converted to YAP3). The first set comes with your purchase, and the rest are a modest $14.95 USD. I already purchased two extra sets, which adds new AC by the way. I do like the fact that these missions are historical in nature, and are recreated as accurately as possible.
Another quirk I have is the lousy visibility over the dash when trying to land. The default view commands, which may improve things, seem to be nullified by my use of Track IR. All in all though, I'm happy with my purchase, as I get to fly in a theater with AC that up until now, I only saw on documentaries. Well that's pretty much it. Off to practice those landings
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote