SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-07, 09:26 AM   #61
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The KM Kaleuns had for that a table printed in paper, I have done one for SH3 and I'm thinking about making a mod for replacing the pull-down map in SH3 GWX or NYGM with it. Since the german U-Boot crews had no "tracking party", everything was done "on the fly" by two persons, the one directing fire and observation (IWO on the UZO when surfaced or Kaleun on the scope when submerged) and TDC operator. The first one gave all data he could observe or calculate directly, the second one did the calculations with wiz-wheels and tables and fed the TDC with the results.
The table I have prepared (Never seen a real one, but based on all info I have gathered by now) represents 3000x3000 metres in 36 squares (6x6), with the U-Boot down-left and the target up-left. The idea is to steer the U-Boot so that the enemy stays constant at 90 or 270 degree bearing, and make two observations. When you do the second one, you go in th square right from the U-Boot as much as it has advanced (There is another graded scale below for indicating distance travelled at 1, 3,5 and 7 knots), then down from the top as much as the enemy vessel closed in, and that gives you a point on the square. Since it has also graduated scale representing the AOB of the target, you just read the AOB in the line your determined point is intersecting. No need to plot or draw anything on the chart

Once you have the AOB, you simply use a slide ruler and determine instantly the enemy speed by taking your own speed and target AOB into account.
Old 06-06-07, 09:38 AM   #62
Maraz
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Very interesting, could you think about making this table available?
Cheers
Maraz

First career: VIIB
U-54
Current career (Black Sea): IID U-24

GWX 2.1, U-Jagd Tools, 100% difficulty, manual targeting, DiD,

Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 04:24 PM   #63
Kaleun Klink
Seaman

Downloads: 1

You know, an industrious kaleun (i.e., one with extra time on his hands) could bring in a little pocket change building and offering the various wiz wheels + instruction sheets...
:hmm:
(Not me, mind you: I'd get Elmer's glue everywhere.)

Current games: UBOAT ... Victory at Sea Pacific ...

Ye olde games: SH3 + GWX3 Gold ... SH4 plain vanilla ... Steam and Iron ... Jutland ... War Plan Pacific ...

...and many board games!
Kaleun Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 09:11 AM   #64
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Very interesting, could you think about making this table available?
Cheers
Maraz
They will come somewhen, but I have other priorities now. Here is an example of the crude version I'm using right now (Externally to the game, i.e. printed in a DIN A4 paper sheet). It has bits of graphics by other authors, so it is for personal use only, but you get the idea of how the final version I want should look like :hmm:

Old 07-16-07, 11:44 AM   #65
masterskop
Swabbie

Default Help with the back of the wheel

Hi Hitman,

I download the km wiz wheel. Man, that's fantastic. Makes game playing really a pleasure now. However after downloading the wiz wheel, I only have the following files:

1.1 Fix Read
Pailung Rad
Kurs Rad
Laga Rad
Transparencies
Lage Rad Rueck

I presume that these files are for the front part of the wheel. Do you have a download link to the back of the wheel as in Puster Bill's wheel that he made from your files? I know that the outer back wheel is the Lage Rad Rueck. But the center two wheels are what is missing from the download.
masterskop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 11:53 AM   #66
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Huhhh the pack (RAR file) should have 7 templates

You are missing templates 6 (Strecke Rad Rück) and 7 (Zeit Rad Rück):hmm:

Are you sure they were not in the file?? Which one did you download?
Old 07-16-07, 12:01 PM   #67
Heibges
Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puster Bill
OK, here is my pitiful attempt at building Hitman's beautiful wheels:

Can't say it enough Hitman: Great job!
Wow! You should start a home based business manufacturing those!
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

http://www.hackworth.com/
Heibges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 12:10 PM   #68
masterskop
Swabbie

Hitman,

You're are correct there are 7 files. When I used winrar to unrar them, it only extracted 5 of the 7. I'll have to figure out why the other files did not get extracted.

thanks!
masterskop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 01:04 PM   #69
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibges
Wow! You should start a home based business manufacturing those!
Meh. It looks better than it actually is. I've noticed that my printer tends to 'drag' a bit when I use cardstock, so that the wheels aren't perfectly round. It doesn't really affect the performance, but it is annoying.

I'd consider it if I could do it using thin sheets of lexan or acrylic.

I've been thinking of printing the wheels on 'sticker' sheets, to be put on plastic or metal wheels, and perhaps gluing the transparencies to appropriately shaped pieces of plastic. That would make a wheel that is durable (providing you laminate them to keep the print from wearing off), and more authentic.

The problem with that scheme is that I never have time to work on stuff like that

It's one thing to print a few sheets out and just cut them and pin them together, and quite another to fabricate the wheels when you don't have the tools (or the skills!) needed.
Old 07-16-07, 02:00 PM   #70
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puster Bill
OK, here is my pitiful attempt at building Hitman's beautiful wheels:

Can't say it enough Hitman: Great job!
Pitiful you say?

Looks pretty darn good to me!
Old 07-16-07, 05:38 PM   #71
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

Nice thingy.
I prefer the version without the swastika. Good that there is one too, so I don't have to mess up what I downloaded
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 07:43 PM   #72
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichso
Nice thingy.
I prefer the version without the swastika. Good that there is one too, so I don't have to mess up what I downloaded
I put that bug in Hitman's ear: I suggested that he make two versions, one with a swastika, and one without for the benefit of people who live in countries where it is forbidden.

I use the one without the swastika, just out of personal preference. I don't want people to think I'm some kind of fascist wacko (because they don't understand it is a historically correct tool for a game).

It doesn't take away from the experience of using it, though, because Hitman artfully put an Iron Cross cross in it's place, and it is small enough to not be obtrusively different.
Old 07-16-07, 09:43 PM   #73
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

If you were going to include that Geschw. und Lage Tabelle in game, why would it have to replace the map file. Could it not just go as an additional page?

And I also don't use the swastika. My german-jewish background doesn't have a problem with sinking ze Britishers, but somehow i don't really want to be looking at a swastika in my hands

joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 02:02 AM   #74
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

In the end it't still just a game. No need for THAT much historical accuracy for me.

I even reworked my version of the downloaded navmap, which had also a swastika in the corner.
Don't understand why so many people want to see those things everywhere in the game just because it looks more real then
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 02:25 AM   #75
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Don't understand why so many people want to see those things everywhere in the game just because it looks more real then
As some said before already, just personal preferences. Anyway what I'm sure -and that's the good thing- is that the swastika users do not have it for glorifying nazis or whatever crap like that. I'm happy that Bill came with the idea of the no-sw version, seeing it now in perspective it is the best way to please everyone

Quote:
If you were going to include that Geschw. und Lage Tabelle in game, why would it have to replace the map file. Could it not just go as an additional page?
Probably, but I have no idea how to do that