SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-16, 05:54 PM   #16
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default thanx

Great job Stiebler ! Somehow I messed up the "weather" by (I think but not too sure at all) enabling and dis-enabling several different environmental mods, testing and just plane ole check'n them out. Anyway at some point my weather froze on "no rain and 4m/s" for 2 consecutive patrols (about 45 days). Clouds were all but gone too. On the 3rd patrol, same. I quit and quick search on the forum, and figured, "reinstall time", no big deal. Then I found this "fix", tried it, BAM ! All is working 100% ... thank you Mr.Stiebler, great job. Saved me a few hours and I got a new patrol started !!
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 04:49 AM   #17
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Hitman:
Hi Alberto, nice to see you're still around.
Quote:
I suppose the answer is yes, but given how you describe your fix to work I expect that base behaviour to remain, correct? I mean that what your fix basically does is help the game getting unstuck from the bad weather routine but will not affect the underlaying weather model.
That is almost exactly correct, but the end of unseen wind-speeds exceeding 15 m/s helps also.

I'm glad that players in general are appreciating the results. You should also experience calm weather for longer periods too, with the winds controlled. But that was always a feature of my previous releases of adapted (re-coded) envsim.act files.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 01:54 PM   #18
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Default MUST HAVE !

I know this is almost repeating myself from another post in this thread about this weather fix, but to put it mildly, this is a MUST HAVE ! I have played SH III several days now with this fix, and I can say this for sure:
  • It completely repaired my " hosed weather " on one computer. ( That's another story in itself, but totally my fault )
  • It was activated via JSGME in mid patrol with an instant improvement on my other computer and another patrol.
  • I even had rain when in port at start of patrol. that has never happened to me before. I was under the impression that it was always fair weather as you begun a patrol, then changed afterwards, but I could be wrong on this point. Feel free to correct me here.
  • after 3 days of both computers running SH III, I have not had a storm last more then 2½ to 3 days and about 3 to 4 days of " overcast to clear weather ", with varying wind speeds. I've even had a storm last only about 6 or 7 hours.
  • it's easier to catch a window of opportunity, to transfer external torpedo's onboard too.
There are many, many, GREAT mods and fixes to SH III, but this fixed, one of the things that used to get me frustrated, you know, the 20day storms at 15m/s, only to see the sun for a day, then it was back to a 20day storm again. Thought my input here would be helpful to anyone looking to improve their gameplay. It has just made the game better for me. hope this helps.
Old 03-30-16, 04:47 PM   #19
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178

I've just finished a patrol and the fix seems to be working as expected. The problem is that i have the Night Vision fix toggled *ON* but my crew can spot a ship 14km away.

Is the fix provided with this last version of the Envsim.act file? If i recall correctly the Night Vision fix comes with the .act file.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 05:01 AM   #20
tomfon
Grey Wolf

I've run one of the GWX missions with Stiebler's newest version of envsim.act and then i run it again with hsie's version of the same file. In the latter case the fog curtain seems to be working fine. The crew detects a ship at 4500 - 5000 meters with maximum visibility at 9000 meters. However, in the first case and with the same environmental conditions applied the ship is detected at maximum range.

Has anybody else noticed the same behaviour? Does the Night Vision fix work with the latest version of Stiebler's envsim.act?

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3

Last edited by tomfon; 03-31-16 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 06:28 AM   #21
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Tomfon:

I've confirmed your observation that H.sie's night fix no longer functions.

I've prepared a second H.sie-compatible version of my envsim.act v10 for this option. It worked fine in a night-time Single Mission, currently undergoing lengthy tests on long patrols.

Thanks for pointing up this error. There will need to be a double release:
1. envsim.act v10, currently available at the SubSim link at the head of this page. for those who don't use H.sie's night fix. That remains good for most purposes.
2. envsim.act v10-for-H.sie, currently undergoing tests. I shall release this new version as a double pack, with the existing v10 of (1) above.

Incidentally, I tested the v10 of (1) with H.sie's and my (Stiebler_4C_Revised) hard-code fixes in place. The weather all worked perfectly, but I hadn't noticed the simultaneous loss of the night vision fix. Well spotted!

Stiebler.
Old 03-31-16, 06:54 AM   #22
tomfon
Grey Wolf

@Stiebler

Indeed, the weather works perfectly for me too with some of hsie's hard-code fixes and some of your fixes in place.

Thank you for looking into this matter right away. To be honest with you, for a moment i thought that releasing the .act file without the Night Vision fix was intentional simply, because, you had decided not to use it anymore. Then i thought that this doesn't make any sense and hoped that you would prove me wrong.

All in all, great job Stiebler!

We now have proper weather.

Cheers!

Mods for SH3

Last edited by tomfon; 04-01-16 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 10:04 AM   #23
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

I also have the " Night Vision fix toggled ON " and after this issue was brought up, I noticed my watch crew did have an increase in their range when spotting a ship.
Old 04-01-16, 10:50 AM   #24
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Default Updated mod fix posted

Updated mod is now posted and can be downloaded from SubSim. Specifically, the absence of H.sie's night vision fix has itself been fixed. I've tested both the weather fix and the night vision fix in several extended patrols. A pity that a radar-fitted destroyer saw my U-boat at night before I saw it - I got sunk!

See my first post at the beginning of this thread for details and for the download link (same link as previously).

Stiebler.
Old 04-01-16, 11:11 AM   #25
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Most wonderful news, Stiebler!

Thank you!

Mods for SH3
Old 04-01-16, 06:35 PM   #26
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Default much thanx again

Old 04-01-16, 09:28 PM   #27
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Whether to re-use selector options provided by a package H.sie V16B1, to include H.sie in bad weather Fix in a new SH3.exe file?
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 01:50 PM   #28
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Stiebler,

thanks for your work!

IIRC, H.Sie's fix also includes a random initial value for the counter to avoid long periods of the same weather after loading a save-game. Does your fix also solves this annoying issue (the same weather for a long period when loading a save-game)?

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 03:07 AM   #29
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Anvar1061:
Quote:
Whether to re-use selector options provided by a package H.sie V16B1, to include H.sie in bad weather Fix in a new SH3.exe file?
Yes, you must use the selector options with H.sie's package in order to disable H.sie's Bad Weather Fix, if you use my envsim.act file.

@LGN1:
Quote:
H.Sie's fix also includes a random initial value for the counter to avoid long periods of the same weather after loading a save-game. Does your fix also solves this annoying issue (the same weather for a long period when loading a save-game)?
Yes. And no.

If you save a patrol, then restart the same patrol without first closing the Silent Hunter III game, then you will restart your saved patrol with exactly the same weather as you saved.

If you save a patrol, then close the whole game down, and then restart Silent Hunter III again, and finally reload your saved game, then usually you will start with a change of weather to mild conditions (light wind, good or fair visibility, no rain). However, on a random small number of occasions, you will continue with the same weather.

The underlying reason is that envsim.act stores its variables in a position fixed relative to where the file is stored in memory. However the initial time value is not zeroed, so that it may be anything. It is updated whenever a foggy storm begins. Moreover, Windows itself stores envsim.act in changing positions in RAM every time that it is loaded (occasionally in the same position, usually not). So reloading a saved game will find the old weather if you have not first closed Silent Hunter III, but will usually (not always) find random data if you close SH3 and reload it. This effect is also responsible for the immediate change of weather that you will often see when leaving base at the beginning of a patrol.

This cheap trick is actually quite effective. Particularly if you change your mind about saving the game, and wish to return immediately to the point where you left the game without effect on weather parameters.

Stiebler.
Old 04-10-16, 01:28 AM   #30
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

Nice work again
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote