SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-13-18, 07:45 AM   #1
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod by Ed Howard

hey guys,

i just completed a war-long career playing this mod. i loved it. i loved the missions, the spreadsheet explanations, the advanced bases, everything.
i strongly suggest that those of you who are looking for something new to check it out and then try it out.

the mod files are on ed's server, not here on subsim. i inserted the link below.

The Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod has been tested in a clean (i.e., unmodded), stock install of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific, v1.5.
The mod is v1.5 and JSGME friendly.

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone.shtml

mb

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 07-13-18 at 08:56 AM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 09:25 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Check-out the rest of Ed's site. Good stuff. While Ed (understandably) won't "share" his mod for other mods, we are definitely working on "borrow" some of his "techniques" for FotRSU for an "after-release" add-in...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 06:43 PM   #3
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
hey guys,

i just completed a war-long career playing this mod. i loved it. i loved the missions, the spreadsheet explanations, the advanced bases, everything.
i strongly suggest that those of you who are looking for something new to check it out and then try it out.

the mod files are on ed's server, not here on subsim. i inserted the link below.

The Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod has been tested in a clean (i.e., unmodded), stock install of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific, v1.5.
The mod is v1.5 and JSGME friendly.

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone.shtml

mb
The Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod has been my favorite Campaign mod since we first began testing it - it's just that good and exactly what SH4 needed.

Although it says 'guaranteed' to use on Stock v1.5, people have used it successfully with RFB & TMO. TMO 1.9 was the most common version I saw people using although it should work with TMO 2.5; I have seen reports to that effect anyway. It will not work with RSRD because of conflicts with Flotillas.upc and a couple other files that both mods insist their specific configuration use.

It probably isn't polite to 'advertise' other websites here, but The Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod is an exception to the rule, imo and hasn't been mentioned in a while.

There is always a rare mod configuration that won't work with Spyron which is why it says Stock v1.5 on his website.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 07-13-18 at 06:57 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 11:49 AM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Update: aanker passed away, and it appears Ed Howard's http://www.subsowespac.org/ website is MIA.

Anyone know how to contact Ed?
Old 03-03-19, 11:56 AM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Update: aanker passed away, and it appears Ed Howard's http://www.subsowespac.org/ website is MIA.

Anyone know how to contact Ed?
yes.
i emailed Ed not long ago, expressing my condolences at his loss of a friend. i also asked him about his mega-mod and the lack of a website. he replied that he expected to have a replacement website soon and that he would let me know when it was up and working.

mb

LAA enabled
Old 03-03-19, 12:52 PM   #6
propbeanie

Thanks for that KaleunMarco. Do you know if he is going to be able to get some of his research findings re-posted, along with the mods he had, for both SH1 & SH4? Thanks

Old 03-03-19, 04:04 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yes.
i emailed Ed not long ago, expressing my condolences at his loss of a friend. i also asked him about his mega-mod and the lack of a website. he replied that he expected to have a replacement website soon and that he would let me know when it was up and working.

mb
Please keep me posted. I hate seeing good content lost for all time.
Neal
Old 03-03-19, 06:08 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Please keep me posted. I hate seeing good content lost for all time.
Neal
i have a copy of spyron but i do not have cloud space to store it and make it available to others.
yes, i will keep you posted when ed replies.

LAA enabled
Old 03-03-19, 07:05 PM   #9
propbeanie

Ed's Fine Print pdf User Agreement doesn't technically allow anyone to host and share his mod publicly...

Old 03-03-19, 08:36 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Ed's Fine Print pdf User Agreement doesn't technically allow anyone to host and share his mod publicly...
we'll see what happens. waiting for neal at the moment.

LAA enabled
Old 03-25-19, 08:34 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

When we first started Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition aanker put me in touch with Ed about Spyon. I asked him two things: to allow me to publish Spyron on Subsim so that it could be appreciated by the largest possible number of Silent Hunter players on the largest, most influential website. I promised that it would be done in his name with full credit to him as author.

Then I asked for his permission to adapt Spyron for use in FOTRSU, making it clear that because we added so many new ships to the game that ship references would have to be changed. All changes would be subject to his approval.

Ed turned us down flat saying that publication on any other site would be a violation of his copyright and he would never grant permission to any modders to use his property in any way.

I asked if he didn't want to provide the greatest service to the Silent Hunter community. He said he didn't care if nobody played his mod. I stopped trying to reason with him. He just doesn't seem to appreciate being appreciated. He has that right.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-19, 11:09 AM   #12
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
When we first started Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition aanker put me in touch with Ed about Spyon. I asked him two things: to allow me to publish Spyron on Subsim so that it could be appreciated by the largest possible number of Silent Hunter players on the largest, most influential website. I promised that it would be done in his name with full credit to him as author.

Then I asked for his permission to adapt Spyron for use in FOTRSU, making it clear that because we added so many new ships to the game that ship references would have to be changed. All changes would be subject to his approval.

Ed turned us down flat saying that publication on any other site would be a violation of his copyright and he would never grant permission to any modders to use his property in any way.

I asked if he didn't want to provide the greatest service to the Silent Hunter community. He said he didn't care if nobody played his mod. I stopped trying to reason with him. He just doesn't seem to appreciate being appreciated. He has that right.
thanks for the update, RR.
i had reached out to Ed in an effort to get him to respond to Neal but he did not respond to me or Neal.
now, with your feedback, his intentions are much clearer.
did Ed share any info on the next/future site for Spyron?

LAA enabled
Old 03-26-19, 03:45 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
thanks for the update, RR.
i had reached out to Ed in an effort to get him to respond to Neal but he did not respond to me or Neal.
now, with your feedback, his intentions are much clearer.
did Ed share any info on the next/future site for Spyron?
No he didn't. Our inquiry was in 2016. At that point we decided we had the expertise to model the Spyron missions ourselves, since Ed has no right to the actual missions in World War II. FOTRSU contains some missions and will include more. They are completely our own making, borrowing no code from Ed's Spyron mod. When you have CapnScurvy, Ed is nice to have in your corner, but completely unnecessary.

From a game historical point of view, it would be great to get Ed's Spyron mod hosted at Subsim so it doesn't vanish forever. But vanish appears to be Ed's intention. Modders are often prickly fellows who don't play well with others. I and my team try to learn from them and not be that way. We are not proprietary about our content and we give incorporated mods full credit to the modder who created them. There is no glory nor are there riches to guard. This is a cooperative effort not a game of Monopoly.
Old 03-26-19, 10:26 PM   #14
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
No he didn't. Our inquiry was in 2016. At that point we decided we had the expertise to model the Spyron missions ourselves, since Ed has no right to the actual missions in World War II. FOTRSU contains some missions and will include more. They are completely our own making, borrowing no code from Ed's Spyron mod. When you have CapnScurvy, Ed is nice to have in your corner, but completely unnecessary.

From a game historical point of view, it would be great to get Ed's Spyron mod hosted at Subsim so it doesn't vanish forever. But vanish appears to be Ed's intention. Modders are often prickly fellows who don't play well with others. I and my team try to learn from them and not be that way. We are not proprietary about our content and we give incorporated mods full credit to the modder who created them. There is no glory nor are there riches to guard. This is a cooperative effort not a game of Monopoly.
hey, i'm on your side. you do not have to sell me.

last year i communicated with Ed via email for a short time as i had questions while i was playing spyron.
after aanker passed away and his site went dark, i emailed Ed and asked about his plans for the whole website, as it is font of WWII historical info. he said he had some plans and that he expected to be up and running is a month or so.
then neal stevens found out that i had Ed's email and asked me to ask Ed to email Neal because he (we) wanted to offer Ed a replacement area for Spyron. alas, Ed has not responded to me as yet and, as far as i know, he has not responded to Neal either.
the way you initially responded i thought you had communicated with Ed recently.
there is not a hellava lot one can do in situations such as this, is there?

hey, keep on truckin', baby. every day above ground should be a good day.

time to hit the rack

LAA enabled
Old 03-27-19, 07:28 AM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
hey, i'm on your side. you do not have to sell me.

last year i communicated with Ed via email for a short time as i had questions while i was playing spyron.
after aanker passed away and his site went dark, i emailed Ed and asked about his plans for the whole website, as it is font of WWII historical info. he said he had some plans and that he expected to be up and running is a month or so.
then neal stevens found out that i had Ed's email and asked me to ask Ed to email Neal because he (we) wanted to offer Ed a replacement area for Spyron. alas, Ed has not responded to me as yet and, as far as i know, he has not responded to Neal either.
the way you initially responded i thought you had communicated with Ed recently.
there is not a hellava lot one can do in situations such as this, is there?

hey, keep on truckin', baby. every day above ground should be a good day.

time to hit the rack