SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-11, 07:37 AM   #196
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
In this thread it is called "the program Stellarium"!
OK, I use Stellarium, but it is an external program. I speak about a sextant-rule style mod for SH4, as the Real Navigation Mod for SH3.

Many thanks and regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 02:28 AM   #197
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
OK, I use Stellarium, but it is an external program. I speak about a sextant-rule style mod for SH4, as the Real Navigation Mod for SH3.

Many thanks and regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I am really eager to start this Stellarium/SH4/SH3 "partnership" but I still have much to learn. What I've dug so far is that sextant mod works only for SH3, SH4 v 1.3. I tried to install it on the 1.5 version but with no success. Besides reading all these posts I agree that Stellarium is a much better tool and has more immersion so I am almost giving up the idea of using the Sextant mod at all.

Some doubts I have:

-How is it possible to remove completely our sub from the map? The no sub map mod partially does it.

-Is DR only good for ranges <600nm?

BTW: I posted a comment on WOTA's facebook page suggesting Cel Nav as an option. He got very interested. Feel free anyone to go there and support this thanks. WOTA is a SH version for iPad/ iphone (in other words, what Ubisoft chose not to design).
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 03:40 PM   #198
Castorp24
Loader

Downloads: 274

Thanks for the good work!
I recently uploaded a little modification that finally gets rid of ANY trace of the sub/ship in the navigation map (no tails, no little dots). Now it is just impossible to locate visually the thing in the F5 chart.

Download link here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=190956
Old 01-26-13, 11:12 PM   #199
castorp345
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 118
Default updated python script

Here's an update to Michael Jones' brilliant python script to include randomization-based error derived from sea state and own speed, as well as to work with Stellarium 0.11.4.

Please note that the attachment as included here needs to have its .txt extension removed (leaving just the .py of course), and that you need to edit the script to include your own proper directory locations!

Also, be sure to input the correct syntax for the date (yyyy:mm:dd), and UTC time (hh:mm:ss), otherwise the script won't load properly into Stellarium.

Many thanks, Michael, for your original work and for providing such a great & fun way to practice plotting fixes without having to lug my C. Plath around!
cheers,
hc
Attached Files
File Type: txt SH4toStellarium.py.txt (2.9 KB, 21 views)
castorp345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 06:18 AM   #200
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I think the randomization is better applied to the individual altitude measurements. As that is what will be complicated by wind and sea motion. The randomization is now applied to the viewing location in this script. And so applies to all observed objects in the same way. But I understand this is not really possible to program into the startup-script. As it should be a post-fix correction.

Personally I would limit myself to the amount I can zoom in on the object (to simulate the amount of wobble in holding my sextant), and guestimate by eye at what distance it is at from the nearest altitude gridline in Stellarium. That means 3 individual opportunities for measurement errors. Increasing and distorting the size of the position-probability-triangle. Instead of a single offset applied to all observations making you calculate the position of where you are NOT at.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 11:06 PM   #201
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorp345 View Post
Here's an update to Michael Jones' brilliant python script to include randomization-based error derived from sea state and own speed, as well as to work with Stellarium 0.11.4.
Would it be possible to make a script that would use a randomization-based error derived from sea/whether state and perhaps navigator experience, to return 3 lines of position? That is, you would pause your game and save as before, then retrieve 3 sets of coordinates for the LOP's and plot them in your in-game charts, and skip the Stellarium and tables part of the procedure.

I like the concept of navigational error and all, but find the whole Stellarium business much too tedious.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 04:23 AM   #202
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

So - Celestial nav is something I've always wanted to learn, so when I found out about this method of using it in-game I was pretty happy. I've no idea how long it will take me to get competent at the maths and so far I'm only using it in the Pacific, but here's something that occurred to me. I have to input the GMT time and date into stellarium via Python, and I'm taking it from the tutorial that Pacific boats run on pearl time, i.e. Z-10, but when I move to the Atlantic or the Med, what's my time zone there? I have a map of time zones, does SH4 adhere to it? Someone mentioned saving a game at local noon and comparing a sun sight from Stellarium, which I'll probably do as soon as I know how but I wondered if anyone could save me exercising my mind by answering the question off the top of their heads?

P.S. - I had to use 2008 versions of Python and Stellarium to get them all to work together with the script in the download. I mention this just in case anyone has given up on this because of issues with the current versions. A couple of folks seem to have - Also it shows I read the thread before asking the question
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 09:56 PM   #203
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

If your asking about SH4, I believe that your time will be your home base local time. In SH3, I have no idea.

Quote:
Someone mentioned saving a game at local noon and comparing a sun sight from Stellarium...
This is probably a good idea. The game is very strange, and I'm not sure how far we should trust it.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 11:52 PM   #204
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
If your asking about SH4, I believe that your time will be your home base local time. In SH3, I have no idea.

This is probably a good idea. The game is very strange, and I'm not sure how far we should trust it.
Yep - I was asking about SH4, thanks for responding. I checked the sun, in the Med campaign and I think it reached it's highest point at 12:33 zulu, which seemed about right for Gib', which is right on the Western edge of the Alpha TZ. Still haven't managed to plot a fix yet, or at least I haven't managed to get a computed height within a degree of the observed height twice in a row - The problem is I'm not sure where the error is. In the real world I'd have access to GMT

Still having lots of fun working it out though, and since I started this in the middle of a patrol, it's going to be a real challenge getting back to Pearl without using waypoints

Anyway thanks for the info - every bit helps
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 10:50 PM   #205
Pilot_76
Chief