SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-07, 04:09 PM   #721
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

1945 is a great year for me and it just gets better. I got away with these raids as the Japanese went in to some sort of panic.

This day time raid ended with me having to fight my way out with heavy damage, I just made port at Saipan.
The lesson of the day don't get clever and sneak back in to the same port you hit a month earlier.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 05:54 PM   #722
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Very very devious . To paint the picture , it was at night and a rain squall had started . I was on the surface and couldnt even see the watch officer on deck because the visibility was so bad . My radar operator had previously picked up 2 merchants (frequency set to 8000) and i got into position when the rain squall started . All of a sudden i get a report from the radar operator of another ship.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 02:22 AM   #723
GTHammer
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Resser I set your forth pic as my desktop. Great pic, I'm consistently amazed at how stunning the visuals in this game can be with the right hardware. Sadly I'm unable to play with the setting up much below minimum but thanks to everyone here I can still see some of the stellar images.
Old 06-10-07, 03:03 PM   #724
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Well here I go again on my second career in my little old S-Class.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 06:56 PM   #725
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 65
Default Thanks Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHammer
Resser I set your forth pic as my desktop. Great pic, I'm consistently amazed at how stunning the visuals in this game can be with the right hardware. Sadly I'm unable to play with the setting up much below minimum but thanks to everyone here I can still see some of the stellar images.
Hey, Hammer. Thanks. I'm glad you like it. Your right the visuals in this game alone make it worthwhile. Just being able to take the pictures and share them is really just another goody that goes along with the game. HAPPY HUNTING

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 12:37 AM   #726
JALU3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Is the heading of this new ship different? If so . . . in the rain squall . . . will you be able to engage the ship? For as posted in my original thread in this posting . . . during really dark rain squalls . . . there's a possibility that visual range maybe reduce to one or tow boat lengths.
sense of right and wrong."
-Sloan, Section Thirty-One
JALU3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 12:43 AM   #727
maerean_m
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Tomb
Sober I see you've got green lines on the side of the screens, I've got the same problem. Does anyone know what it is/how to solve it? Its really off putting.
It's a bug in the ATi drivers when using asymmetric antialiasing (2x or 6x). Laptop owners may even encounter very bad looking fonts. ATi owners must only use symmetric antialiasing (4x and 8x).
Old 06-11-07, 03:52 AM   #728
tener
Sailor man

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maerean_m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Tomb
Sober I see you've got green lines on the side of the screens, I've got the same problem. Does anyone know what it is/how to solve it? Its really off putting.
It's a bug in the ATi drivers when using asymmetric antialiasing (2x or 6x). Laptop owners may even encounter very bad looking fonts. ATi owners must only use symmetric antialiasing (4x and 8x).
i have the same problem,i just adjust the screen till they go away.:p
tener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 09:01 PM   #729
JALU3
Grey Wolf

Although I have sunk more important vessels in one day, namely a Hiryu class CV south of Davao . . . this has to be one of the highest single day ship totals that I have sank ever.
  1. 0511 09NOV42 - Long 146 34' E Lat 7 04' N - Small Old Split Freighter - 2428 Tons
  2. 0517 09NOV42 - Long "" Lat "" - Medium Old Composite Freighter - 4040 Tons
  3. 0951 09NOV42 - Long 146 33' E Lat 6 14' N - Medium Old Tanker - 4862 Tons
  4. 0951 09NOV42 - Long "" Lat "" - Small Old Tanker - 1618 Tons
  5. 0953 09NOV42 - Long "" Lat "" - Large Modern Composite Freighter - 7202 Tons
  6. 1205 09NOV42 - Long 146 39' E Lat 6 12' N - Small Modern Composite Freighter - 1852 Tons
  7. 1213 09NOV42 - Long 146 40' E Lat 6 22' N - Large Modern Composite Freighter - 7164 Tons
  8. 1216 09NOV42 - Long "" Lat "" - Medium Modern Composite Freighter - 4480 Tons
Thats 33646 Tons after an early breakfast . . . and a late lunch. I am nearly out of forward fish . . . and my crew is exhausted . . . I am going to fine a desserted tropic island and give them a days rest, if Truk doesn't send a couple planes at me first.

----

OK It's 0300 the next day at the shoal located near Long 147 E Lat 7 20' N . . . time for some R&R
sense of right and wrong."
-Sloan, Section Thirty-One
JALU3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 09:06 PM   #730
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 65
Default More Screenies

Here are a couple more screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

Enjoy
CDR Resser

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 10:38 PM   #731
CaptBC
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
JALU....

While we apprecieate and enjoy your patrol reports. The use of the enter key (paragraphs) instead of ... would be greatly apprecieated.

@ Capt BC... Good job sailor.
Thanks SteamWake! More to come as "Polly" makes her second war patrol to Luzon Strait!
CaptBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 11:08 PM   #732
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 05:41 AM   #733
GTHammer
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 4

CaptBC

Hell of a report. Very professional and interesting to read. Hope to see another soon.
Old 06-12-07, 05:47 AM   #734
Wilko
Officer

WOW Sober, that is fantastic
Old 06-12-07, 06:03 AM   #735
Argus00
Sparky

Downloads: 24

So I'm on my way to the Caroline Islands, 60 ft down, and on TC. I'm in the middle of the Pacific so i guess I'm safe, right? WRONG. Bam-slam-wham-boing-bong-clunk-scrape-screech WE HAVE FLOODING, SIR! MEDIIIC! Sub sunk.

FTW???? Bungo Pete out here, DC-ing me? I load my save (made 5 minutes earlier), and I go slowly to the approximate position where I sank, at PD and keeping the same heading. All i see on the map is this:

Hmmm... what's that spec, at my 10 o'clock? Let's zoom in:

Okay, aside from the fact that this is proof that we evolved from the primordial soup and that evolution is obviously still going on, it seems I might have hit a sand bank or reef. So I go to the esxternal cam as I'm passing right over it, and I see this HUUUGE mountain ridge smack dab in the middle of the Pacific:

Note that you CAN pass it safely at PD at no more than SLOW, otherwise you WILL scrape or hit the top of the mountain as the sub bobs up and down at higher speeds. This was at PD and FULL speed:

I saved right after this scrape, and looked in the ActivePlayerUnits.upc file. The damage was Damage=0.042255

The mountains are not continuous, though, but you have to zoom in real close to see where you can pass safely while submerged. These gaps are clear all the way down, so you can sink freely and not hit anything on the way

So just mind where you run silent, run deep, mates!

Edit: hmmm, so not only suck at sinking merchants, but at posting screens, too... don't know why my pics don't show up here.

Edit2: sorted that out. Hey, how come my pics suck vs. everyone else's?

Last edited by Argus00; 06-12-07 at 09:08 AM.
Argus00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screenshots