SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-17, 12:58 AM   #31
petros13
Swabbie

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 0
Default 120% Alcohol !!!

Nippelspanner;2477567]Yeah right, DCS is 'rubbish'.
What nonsense, really.

It's like saying Italian food sucks because you like Indian food better.
There's no need for elitist nonsense between falcon and DCS at all.[/QUOTE]

120... points for you !!!: Kaleun_Cheers:: Kaleun_Applaud:
petros13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 09:11 AM   #32
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

petros13!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 09:22 PM   #33
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I just got my T Flight HOTAS in the mail this last week. I've toyed just a bit with BMS but I don't even know where to start as far as learning the game. I tried reading through a guide to get through startup procedures but that was a pain and seemed to leave some things unaddressed.

Does anybody have any advice for a new Falcon BMS player? The HOTAS works great so far. It's not force feedback but I always was more annoyed by that anyway. But yeah, any helpful tidbits are welcome.
Old 09-05-17, 08:41 AM   #34
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Take it slowly and be methodical.

I've been flying one version of Falcon or another for 20 years, and I still have stuff to learn. I don't know if that says more about Falcon's complexity or my mental capacity, but...

I'd recommend printing out the manual and the Dash-One. It's handy to have these documents available.

You have a HOTAS now and I recommend setting it up as close to the real jet as possible. Get the TMS/DMS/CMS stuff set up, or as close as you can within the limits of your stick's layout. I've never used that stick and don't know it's capabilities. For example, does it have a shifted function?

If you can get radar cursors and antenna elevation on some sort of analog control, it will be a big plus, especially the cursors.

Spend time in free flight learning the layout of the cockpit. How do I turn my lights off, master arm on, emergency jettison, laser and so on. Start your training by practicing takeoffs and landings. Touch and goes work great for maximizing your time. The F-16 is probably the easiest plane to land..if you know the correct parameters. If you get these correct, the jet basically flies itself down to the threshold. AoA and speed correct? Then just place the FPM on the threshold and fly it on down. A little flare, and land like a butterfly with sore feet.

Read the manual about how to set up your DTC tape. This lets you pre-program countermeasures programs, preset radio channels and perhaps most importantly, set precision steerpoints, which will be used to mark stationary targets and to deploy weapons like the JDAM and the SDB (small diameter bomb)

Once take offs and landing are done then pick a ground weapon to learn. Honestly, the easiest weapons to deploy in BMS in my opinion are the JDAM and the SDB. You want to study the manual and learn the procedure. JDAM deliveries are very similar to LGBs, but without lasing and no lase turn is required. Just plink and go. Love those things.

There are training missions included for most weapons. It's a good idea to run through each in turn as you add a new weapon to your quiver. In addition, when I was learning Falcon, I found the Mud Moving mode to be excellent. You get several weapon types and unlimited ammo. I spent hours and hours in here until I could repeatedly have success with each type.

If you have experience with other versions of F4 be aware that many procedures are more involved in BMS. For example it used to be that to guide LGBs, you just needed to flip the laser switch. In BMS, you begin with the laser in Training mode, and you need to use the DED to turn on Combat mode. Yeah, the DED, it's important in BMS and you should work on getting comfortable using it. Laser, package datalinks, fuel estimates, waypoint timing and much more is done in the DED so learn it.

Work through each ground ordnance you think you'll want to use. I tend to deploy dumb bombs (especially the glorious Mark 84), HARMs, JDAM, CBU, JSOW and SDBs. Mavericks are a whole new kettle of fish in BMS, and while I can use them, I am not what I would call 'qualified' in them even yet. They are fun to shoot, but too heads-down for me and I can always kill just as much and more with CBU.

To become proficient with ground attack weapons, you also need to be comfortable with your radar, sensors and MFD functions and options. Yeah, this is a lot to learn, but a big part of the appeal, at least for me. Learn all submodes and how to switch around. Having all of this on your HOTAS is best if possible.

Then do it all over again with air to air weapons. Or you could do air to air first. The biggest mistake newcomers make in air to air is failing to use the antenna elevation. It's crucial to finding the gomers.

Get a Track IR or head tracking alternative. Seriously. People fly without it, sure, and do very well. But come on, once you've flown BMS with one, you'll never go back.

Air to air refueling in BMS is hard. And frankly I've never needed to use it in a campaign, even in the Balkans. So you can safely save that training for later. But it's there, it's challenging and worth the effort to be able to do it successfully.

Once you feel comfortable flying the jet, using your radar and can deploy some weapons on target, it's time to start a campaign. For a first go I recommend the KTO Tiger Spirit campaign. It's the one that is most set up for success. Myself and the guys I fly with like to fly what we call HARMCAPs early in a campaign. Essentially it is a free hunt with two HARMs and Air to Air missiles. We patrol the front and lob HARMs at radars and try to pick off Red intruders in the air.

I could go on for hours, but I'll stop here. Bottom line is take it slowly and pick systems and weapons to master one at a time. Don't move on until you can perform that function reliably and without consulting a manual. Lastly, use Shift-P to 'freeze' the sim. It is pause, but with the ability to still click around in the cockpit. Very useful! Good hunting.
Old 09-05-17, 11:06 PM   #35
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Take it slowly and be methodical.
Thank you for your very helpful post!

Quote:
Air to air refueling in BMS is hard. And frankly I've never needed to use it in a campaign, even in the Balkans. So you can safely save that training for later. But it's there, it's challenging and worth the effort to be able to do it successfully.
On this, I am curious on how difficult it is because I've done the refueling from both points of view on the actual USAF simulators. I might load up a mission for this (if there is one). Seems like it would be a good test of the new HOTAS and how sensitive it is.

Quote:
Once you feel comfortable flying the jet, using your radar and can deploy some weapons on target, it's time to start a campaign. For a first go I recommend the KTO Tiger Spirit campaign. It's the one that is most set up for success. Myself and the guys I fly with like to fly what we call HARMCAPs early in a campaign. Essentially it is a free hunt with two HARMs and Air to Air missiles. We patrol the front and lob HARMs at radars and try to pick off Red intruders in the air.
Sounds pretty straightforward. I just need to find time to get the training in. I'm spending a lot of time lately working on the paperwork/tests/etc that I need to actually become a USAF pilot. (On top of a full engineering course load) I bought this as kind of a motivation piece. But I can tell it's going to be a lot of fun to play. Sometime in the next couple of weekends I'll be taking a few hours and diving deeper into the takeoff/landing procedures starting from the beginning.

Quote:
Lastly, use Shift-P to 'freeze' the sim. It is pause, but with the ability to still click around in the cockpit. Very useful!
I had looked for this sort of feature but wasn't able to find that. Thank you for letting me know. That will come in handy!

Quote:
Good hunting.
Old 09-06-17, 08:01 AM   #36
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

You're welcome, happy to help.

I didn't realize you were a pilot candidate, if you mentioned it earlier my apologies. You're in the the Air Force now?

Our group has seemingly taken a summer hiatus and our server has been inactive since July or so. But I'm sure we will get going again sometime soon. If you're interested in flying multiplayer let me know. Also, please consider visiting the SimHQ F4 forum, and of course the BMS forums as well. I am DBond at both places.

People often say that you'll learn more flying with others than flying alone and it's true.

If you have any other questions fire away.
Old 09-06-17, 10:20 PM   #37
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
I didn't realize you were a pilot candidate, if you mentioned it earlier my apologies. You're in the the Air Force now?
I'm not a pilot candidate yet. I am a contracted AFROTC cadet that's going to be applying for the rated officer selection. A couple weeks ago I took the first step of many towards turning in my packet. So hopefully within 2 years I will know one way or another if I've been selected.

If you're interested in how that works shoot me a PM.

Quote:
Our group has seemingly taken a summer hiatus and our server has been inactive since July or so. But I'm sure we will get going again sometime soon. If you're interested in flying multiplayer let me know. Also, please consider visiting the SimHQ F4 forum, and of course the BMS forums as well. I am DBond at both places.
I would LOVE to fly multiplayer sometime, but I need to learn the game first before I hop into that.

Quote:
People often say that you'll learn more flying with others than flying alone and it's true.
That's true for more than just gaming.

Quote:
If you have any other questions fire away.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Do you have a skype or a steam I can add you on for easy communication?
Old 09-07-17, 03:16 PM   #38
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

No worries. Recently there was a thread at the BMS forum about getting more folks involved in the multiplayer community. I commented on how I find many guys want to fly MP, but also want to learn everything first, before they venture online.

Understandable indeed. However, there is just so much to learn, and even knowing what to do isn't the same as actually doing it when you're 30 miles over the FLOT, with seemingly every tone in the library chirping on the RWR and a four-ship of zero aspect Flankers closing at 1200 knots

It's a rewarding journey though if you stick with it. As an aside, I also play and teach guitar, and I see many similarities believe it or not. Most folks want to jump in and either rock out or start blowing stuff up right away, as the case may be. But that just isn't going to happen.

So some give it up and move on to something else. Others stick with it, seeing the value, reward and satisfaction in learning something complex. This isn't a reference in any way to you Red October, and if you're aspiring to be an Air Force pilot I can safely conclude you enjoy challenging yourself.

If you need to contact me for anything feel free, a private message is probably best. I don't hang around subsim all that much these days, but check in regularly. If you are a member at SimHQ or BMS I am on those boards more frequently. We could always hook up for some private hops, and I have a fast machine and connection and host no problem.
Old 09-09-17, 10:17 AM   #39
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I recommend to search for and find the manual for the Realism Patch 5 or 3. Not every detail may be matching with BMS, but all in all you get an idea, also on background and sensors. It were these manuals by the RP group that got deep into F4, more than anything else. But it is quite a read, though an exciting one. Back in those days, manuals of this size were unknown.

Do not give up too early, its worth it.

With DCS, system studying can become even "worse".

P.S.

https://sites.google.com/site/falcon4history/files

Superpak SP 3 or 4 should help, too.
Old 09-09-17, 10:20 AM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I would LOVE to fly multiplayer sometime, but I need to learn the game first before I hop into that.
Thats the correct order. Its like in racing sims. First you leanr alone, track and car - then you join MP to mess up the day of others as well. I hate it if newbies who visit some traxck for the first time ever, immediately start that in MP. Do 15-20 laps on a track alone before MP.

With flying, its comparable. You should know the basics and essentials before joining MP.
Old 09-10-17, 12:09 PM   #41
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I recommend to search for and find the manual for the Realism Patch 5 or 3. Not every detail may be matching with BMS, but all in all you get an idea, also on background and sensors. It were these manuals by the RP group that got deep into F4, more than anything else. But it is quite a read, though an exciting one. Back in those days, manuals of this size were unknown.

Do not give up too early, its worth it.

With DCS, system studying can become even "worse".

P.S.

https://sites.google.com/site/falcon4history/files

Superpak SP 3 or 4 should help, too.
Thank you very much! I haven't looked into any of the manuals yet, I'm in a bit of a rush today. Is there a quick-reference key binding guide anywhere? I have been looking for and found a button-map file for my HOTAS that i've downloaded to get started. Plan is to dive in this week. Read some of the manuals this week and then start flying next saturday.

If there are any checklist pages or quick-reference guides I can print out and have with me at my desk, that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Thats the correct order. Its like in racing sims. First you leanr alone, track and car - then you join MP to mess up the day of others as well. I hate it if newbies who visit some traxck for the first time ever, immediately start that in MP. Do 15-20 laps on a track alone before MP.

With flying, its comparable. You should know the basics and essentials before joining MP.
This is exactly true. Racing is easily compared to flying, definitely. I wouldn't put the burden of my lack of knowledge onto my wingmen.

Nobody likes a Blue Falcon.
Old 09-11-17, 04:39 AM   #42
Skybird
Soaring

I have one folder full of checklists, I think they came with one manual for SP3 or 4, or any of the earlier realism patches RP 3,4 or 5. Such a list you most likely need for the engine start procedure. If you play frequently, after having gone through the procedure several times, you do it my memory then.

There was much stuff out there back then, and I assume most of it still can be found somewhere. Maps, addon terrains, separate cockpits - the modding went hot over Falcon4.
Old 09-11-17, 09:40 AM   #43
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I've found these videos to be very helpful. They are well done, complete and concise.

https://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showt...g-Falcon-4-BMS

You might have to be registered at the BMS forums to view them?
Old 12-09-17, 01:20 PM   #44
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The F4 simulation I used to play in the past was F4 Allied Force which is roughly similar to F4 BMS which I don't like because it hasn't so many settings for modifying the campaign, also you in F4AF you can play various world scenarios like Desert Storm, Taiwan, Middle East, etc.
I had to stop playing it because there are no widescreen cockpits in 1920x1080 , only 4:3 ones, otherwise I would cheerfully stick with this legendary sim. A pity.

BMS is way too realistic for me and too difficult playing with a joystick or HOTAS, it doesn't reflect modern fly-by-wire electronics in modern planes anymore as far as radar systems, satellite tranmission technology etc. is concerned, so it's rather a simulation of the end 20th century fighter planes, but with nicer grafics all compatible with 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions.
Real pilots nowadays have however quicker and better response times when handling planes and their systems...They can concentrate doing their job instead of purely flying the plane...In fact, you would be surprised how real subsystems, radars are 'simplified' compared to BMS so pilots get infos and results quicker.

An alternative to BMS is FreeFalcon 6 or 5.5 for which I have combined the files to get past of some bugs. It has better playable CV operations etc, but you may struggle finding all the files and cockpits to download - the project is not active anymore.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-09-17 at 01:36 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 09:48 PM   #45
petros13
Swabbie

Downloads: 143

I overslept a little, no?

https://www.falcon-lounge.com/

https://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/...ntal-Installer
petros13 is offline   Reply With Quote