SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-17, 09:51 AM   #3526
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
I would have thought realistically there would have been some very competent crew members that would have enhanced their knowledge of what they specialized in.
Are you forced to activate special abilities, if so then optional would be the best way forward?
You have to remember that you are putting FOTRSU out there for all levels of different players, some of which need more help than others when playing their game.
Peter
We're not sure what they implemented for it in the game just yet Peter. Whatever they did, if anything, does some strange assignments, like there's a look-up table that someone cross-referenced to on the wrong line, or something, and your torpedo man ends up with gun abilities, your radio man ends up with look-out abilities, and your sonar dude is the world's best cook... but can't make ice cream in a bucket... - If we change anything with it, it'll be "User's Choice".

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 10:29 AM   #3527
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
How many votes do we have to dissolve the "Special Abilities" in FotRSU?...

Aye!

How does one do such a thing anyway?...
My special abilities are already disabled. i am trying to get them EN-abled.
how does one do THAT?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 01:30 PM   #3528
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi pb
From what you are saying it sounds like it would be better to disable it if that is an easier option rather than wasting time on it.
I would say there are more important FOTRSU bits and pieces still to be sorted which should be the priority.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 04:42 PM   #3529
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Testing with .52
Upon returning to Freemantle, 0/3/1943 from photo recon of Surabaya, I accepted the new sub upgrade (from a Gato) and got a Balao. Then I noticed I did not get a full complement of torpedoes. See screen image.

Old 01-17-17, 04:52 PM   #3530
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Testing with .52
Upon returning to Freemantle, 0/3/1943 from photo recon of Surabaya, I accepted the new sub upgrade (from a Gato) and got a Balao. Then I noticed I did not get a full complement of torpedoes. See screen image.

Upon a rare occasion I find that all torpedoes do not get loaded. I usually just add what is needed.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 07:36 PM   #3531
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Think i just sunk bungo pete with 2 mk27 cuties.

Had to go through the bungo straight to take some pictures at a harbor. Brought two cuties in the rear torpedo tubes just incase. Made it through the straight, took the pictures. On the return stint through the straight, i had a destroyer just barreling straight at me in the darkness while i was cruising along the surface.

I turned tail and fired a cutie and dove deep. His first salvo of charges hit the mark and damaged me, but the cuite hit him as well. I popped up to periscope depth and he was coming at me for another run. Fired off the other cuite, it circled round and him in the butt. He did the titanic move in reverse LOL. Nose straight up in the air and sank backwards.

He had some Japenese writing on the side of his ship and the number 11 on the side of his bow. Was that him?

http://imgur.com/a/KYyDl

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 08:03 PM   #3532
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I don't think it is... but I'm not 100% certain. If memory serves me correctly (here we go again...), Bungo Pete drives an Akikaze, which is an old destroyer downgraded by the IJN basically to Frigate status. It's a rust-bucket in other words...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:57 PM   #3533
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Testing with .52

I can't read the fine print on your image, but the Balao should have 6 forward facing torpedo tubes, 4 to the rear. Your image shows 4 and 4. So, if that's an inventory of a Balao....its not right. You should have two more "slots" in the forward torp room. Looks like another issue with upgrades just popped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
I had only one crew slot per gun, fore and aft. Usually there are two per gun in other mods. I did not save the game, but I can replicate it by adding back the twin 40's. To continue the campaign I went back to port and restored the single 40's. No matter which one, there was only one crew slot per gun (and only two for the deck gun - other mods usually had up to five crew slots for the deck gun).
I'm fixing that issue of having only one slot showing on the Crew Management page for a duel crew AA gun.

On a related note, I found that the FOTRS Twin 40mm Bofor only had one crewman in the models .dat file. It's a stock game oversight that no one with the original FOTRS caught. Even if there are two "slots" showing on the Crew Management page, and you filled them both with a crewman......the gun only had one modeled crewman manning the gun. It will be corrected.

As far as having additional Deck Gun crewmen beyond the two seated, was some of TMO's doing. Ducimus got carried away with having extra men standing around the deck gun. The problem I see with as many as five is that the extra men are linked to the gun itself. If it rotates, and it will when telling the crew to fire upon a target, the crew will swing off the side of the narrow subs deck on some of the subs. Good idea, but in practice the figure of two crewman manning the gun, and maybe one other officer, would be the limit. I'm thinking to add an Officer to the crew, have him fitted with a headset, and leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER
I would have thought realistically there would have been some very competent crew members that would have enhanced their knowledge of what they specialized in.
Are you forced to activate special abilities, if so then optional would be the best way forward?
You have to remember that you are putting FOTRSU out there for all levels of different players, some of which need more help than others when playing their game.
I mentioned the other day that FOTRS doesn't have a Qualification for Gun Skills, that's the crossed cannons icon for a crewman (least not at the start of a Campaign; a man may gain one with experience...I think). I found the file that lists these skill ratings and plan to have them work better, at least giving you a crewman that has some Gunnery skills. The "skills" do supplement the calculations for final determinations of results, so it would be a shame not to offer them. Having them appear within the proper "slot" is an easy fix that will be in the next update.

As far as the crews "Special Abilities", I'm not sure about them. I've never used them much to have an opinion.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 01-17-17 at 10:07 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 10:17 AM   #3534
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

"the Balao should have 6 forward facing torpedo tubes, 4 to the rear. Your image shows 4 and 4. So, if that's an inventory of a Balao....its not right. You should have two more "slots" in the forward torp room. Looks like another issue with upgrades just popped up."

Yes sir Cap'n, that's why I posted it. Still new to posting pics, guess I piciked the wrong resolution from PostImage.
Old 01-18-17, 10:55 AM   #3535
CapnScurvy
Admiral

That's fine jldjs...... its good to "see" what others see, no matter what the size.

I usually put my images into 800x640 resolution to use on the forum. That's about right to see details, but not too big to make the thread "oversized" with the larger image res.

Apparently the issue with the loss of the two forward Balao tubes is in the Dates of when you made your upgrade, and when the files state you're to get the extra Balao tubes. They aren't jiving. Either the "Upgrade Offer" is too soon, or the extra Balao tube "StartDate" is too late to take effect at the point in time you chose. I hope to fix it.

By the way, What was that date in Freemantle.......you have "0/3/1943"?

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 01-18-17, 11:01 AM   #3536
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

hey,

I'm not a sh4 guy but recently felt like toying with TMO a bit after my last sh3 career was ended early thanks to a bug.

Does anybody mind explaining what the FOTRS mod does? Is a manual part of the download where I could read up on it?
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 11:03 AM   #3537
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Cap'n it was 9/3/1943. Old eyes and stubby fingers
Old 01-18-17, 01:32 PM   #3538
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoWay View Post
Does anybody mind explaining what the FOTRS mod does? Is a manual part of the download where I could read up on it?
It was originally a collaboration between some very good model builders (AOTD_MadMax and others) and Ducimus (the creator of Trigger Maru), where added ships/planes would coexist with a simi modified Campaign layer. It was also somewhat geared for multi-player use (the guys wanted to play against/with each other in a better setup than what the stock game provided).

The multi-player side of things have never really worked with this game, and the various additions in the ship/plane inventory were made for version 1.4 of Silent Hunter (which is one patch update from the latest version of the game....v1.5 that included the U-Boat Addon).

So, the potential of the "Fall of the Rising Sun" game has never really been used, until now. Some of us are trying to revive the best parts of the original FOTRS mods (there were a couple of versions), and call the "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" a new modification. We're not only adding content, but fixing, manipulating, things that were either overlooked or were intended for game play that doesn't work with a typical single player game.

Since this Public Beta is just that, a "trial mod" that still needs work, we don't have much in the way of documentation, credits, or manuals for how to play within the game. BUT, its goin' to be HUUUUGE!

Quote:
Old 01-18-17, 02:49 PM   #3539
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoWay View Post
hey,

I'm not a sh4 guy but recently felt like toying with TMO a bit after my last sh3 career was ended early thanks to a bug.

And remember we are FOTRSU, Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, to differentiate ourselves from the original FOTRS by a completely different group of modders.

How would I characterize the mod. I'd say that it's primarily an eye candy mod: better environment, better and more ships, terrific explosions, shells shrieking overhead, incredible smoke, in fact sound and graphics are very much totally redone. It's not fair to compare, but we like to think of ourselves as the GWX of Silent Hunter 4.

CapnScurvy did a complete optical remake of out periscopes, TDC and binoculars so you can actually measure things with the gradations scale and the optical size of objects is correct. Side by side with the originals, the new optics are visually stunning in their improvements. And the interior cameras have all been moved and recalibrated. The control room camera, for instance, reflects your ascending or descending attitude as the deck pitches below your feet.

FOTRSU is also a difficulty mod, much in the way TMO is. Enemy ships are much smarter, sometimes too smart at present! The keyboard layout is changed, similarly to TMO keyboard but with some tweaks. We more than doubled the ship makeup of the Japanese navy.

This is not a mod you'll start up and wonder what's changed. The impact is immediate and memorable. And it's only the beginning of what FOTRSU will become: a revolution, putting the player in charge of his own supermod for the first time in nine years, with FOTRSU Certified Mod Plugins and a system to prevent mod conflicts.

In a real sense, the base mod that is available for download now is only a prelude to completely changing the way Silent Hunter is played.

Did that help?

Okay, here's the clincher. When you press the apostrophe button to straighten out the rudder, for the first time in 9 years of Silent Hunter 4 the helmsman will call out "Rudder amidships." It's THAT good!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 03:20 PM   #3540
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

thank you, guys!
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote