SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-11, 11:03 AM   #16
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

good news sid !

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 12:26 PM   #17
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidslotm View Post
Thanks Peabody and JL for all the help on getting WDAD British Campaign running. It took me longer that I anticipated but we are up and running from Gosport and Rosneath. a breakthough.

Now I just got to come up with some missions, near authentic if possible. A problem I never saw is there are no German convoys to sink, I may have to make them up. We will see and I will keep you updated.

thanks again, sid
I need to change a comment I made, I must have been tired!!! For campaign files, you DO NOT need the mission.TSR file for traffic you add to the campaign. You DO need the .tsr file for "PatrolObjectives" files. I must have been thinking you were making more traffic. The TSR file has the mission briefing in it.
Your comment above about adding German convoys woke me up I guess. Sorry for the mixup.

Here is one if you ever find and answer. I notice in stock (and I think TMO) some Partrol Objectives folders have two missions in them. I never figured that one out. On has like "mission name 01.mis and the other has "mission name 01d.mis. And the mission is suppose to match the folder name, so I never did figure out why they are there.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 03:01 PM   #18
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

HI,

Yes the TSR file issue was cracked without to much of a problem and I have been pleased with the results, it's just the writing of all the mission orders gets me down a bit.

I have to learn how to transfer a mission from one flotilla to another, this is my next objective, from the North Sea to the Atlantic.

Quote:
Here is one if you ever find and answer. I notice in stock (and I think TMO) some Partrol Objectives folders have two missions in them. I never figured that one out. On has like "mission name 01.mis and the other has "mission name 01d.mis. And the mission is suppose to match the folder name, so I never did figure out why they are there.
I haven't come across this one yet Peabody, something to do with a second objective maybe?

thanks again, any idea's, please post them, like the new TClass from Keltos and JU_88, can't wait.
Old 05-15-11, 04:00 PM   #19
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
HI,

Yes the TSR file issue was cracked without to much of a problem and I have been pleased with the results, it's just the writing of all the mission orders gets me down a bit.

I have to learn how to transfer a mission from one flotilla to another, this is my next objective, from the North Sea to the Atlantic.

I haven't come across this one yet Peabody, something to do with a second objective maybe?

thanks again, any idea's, please post them, like the new TClass from Keltos and JU_88, can't wait.
If you want to use the SAME mission from one flotilla to another it is a copy/paste and change the ID and the [Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 1]. The mission actually gets assigned to the sub in the Flotillas.upc

Example:

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 1]
ID= MB11OBj1
NameDisplayable= NULL
AvailabilityInterval=1943-04-01, 1943-06-15
ObjectiveCode= China-Sea

Change the items in Yellow if it is the same mission but from a different flotilla/port. Since it gets linked to the mission using the "ObjectiveCode=" the other changes only put it into a different flotilla and sub and does not affect the mission at all.

[Flotilla 2.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 1]
ID= DifferentFlotillaOBj1
NameDisplayable= NULL
AvailabilityInterval=1943-04-01, 1943-06-15
ObjectiveCode= China-Sea

My only thoughts on the second mission in the folder is that it may have been an attempt to use them after a Status report. For example if you stayed on your patrol area and completed the objective but didn't see or sink any ships, then send a status report it may tell you to stay longer or try a different location. But I don't seem to see anywhere it was implimented. I opened on, Patrol Bismark Sea and 01 was to patrol but 01d said to "Redeploy to the Bismark Sea..." That is what makes me think it was after a status report, but I don't see where it would work. Maybe it didn't work or wasn't finished so they didn't use it.
Anyway I never have figured out the reason for the second 'd' mission, and they all use the 'd' after the number.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 05-18-11, 03:54 AM   #20
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Peabody

Quote:
My only thoughts on the second mission in the folder is that it may have been an attempt to use them after a Status report
I would have guessed first off, re-deploy, I like this idea in missions but have not found the momentum to approach it as yet. This would be a good one to solve

My main issue today is getting the boat able to re-dock after a
successful mission, a little anchor should appear in the top right corner but does not.
Old 05-18-11, 01:28 PM   #21
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
My main issue today is getting the boat able to re-dock after a
successful mission, a little anchor should appear in the top right corner but does not
Did an anchor appear when you started the mission? (assuming you were close enough to the base when you started.) Try starting "in port" to see if you get an anchor when leaving port.

What base did you use to create the base you are using? Some change hands during the war and an incorrect date may cause it to be an enemy base which of course would not allow you to dock. I know there are neutral ships in the game but from the version of WDAD on my machine I don't see any neutral ports, but if you added any new ones, I don't know if a neutral port will allow you to get the anchor.

What color is the icon for the port you are having problems with.

Also any port that is not your home port would not allow you to dock, but you should still get the anchor to allow 'refit' at a friendly port, so that should not be the problem.

I noticed what I believe are mistakes in your first post, which may be fixed by now.

Quote:
[Flotilla 1]
ID= HMS Talbot
NameDisplayable= HMS Talbot, Valette
AvailabilityInterval=NULL, NULL

[Flotilla 1.Base 1]
ID= Valetta
NameDisplayable= Valetta
Info= Valetta
ExternalBaseName=Valetta
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, 1940-01-01
DepartureDescription1= 9750190, 1021415, 045
DepartureDescriptionOut1= 9750190, 1021415, 045
Your [Flotilla 1] ID is the name of a ship. Is there a ship in your campaign with that name. If there is, that may cause a problem.

For AvailabilityInterval= NULL, 1940-01-01 those are startdate, enddate, so the base ends in 1940-01-01?

Peabody

Old 05-19-11, 09:04 AM   #22
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi

Quote:
Did an anchor appear when you started the mission?
No, I had to go back and recheck......I have checked the flotilla file against others and it's much the same. Unless it's a small date glitch that I have not seen.

I installed a new harbour on the Campaign_LOC called Gosport across the bay from Portsmouth and it works well enough. I will look further into it, the Neutral port idea may be suspect. But I checked it out against other harbours that Lurker place and it all look about the same. The colour of the homebase icon is blue, but the Submarine icon is grey?? Im not sure what that means, should be blue as well.

Quote:
[Flotilla 1]
ID= HomefleetSouth
NameDisplayable= HomeFleet, Gosport
AvailabilityInterval=NULL, NULL

[Flotilla 1.Base 1]
ID= Gosport
NameDisplayable= Gosport
Info= Gosport
ExternalBaseName= Gosport
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, 1945-12-31
DepartureDescription1= -134345, 6094860, 0
DepartureDescriptionOut1= -133666, 6093988, 180
Old 05-19-11, 12:13 PM   #23
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Hi

No, I had to go back and recheck......I have checked the flotilla file against others and it's much the same. Unless it's a small date glitch that I have not seen.

I installed a new harbour on the Campaign_LOC called Gosport across the bay from Portsmouth and it works well enough. I will look further into it, the Neutral port idea may be suspect. But I checked it out against other harbours that Lurker place and it all look about the same. The colour of the homebase icon is blue, but the Submarine icon is grey?? Im not sure what that means, should be blue as well.
My sub is always black. A friendly AIsub if it is modding into the game would be blue, but my player sub is not. I play stock, I don't know if any mods changed that. (My video card won't handle a lot of the environmental stuff in mods)

I took Mission Editor and put in a US sub and a US port in 1940, thereby making it neutral (since Pearl Harbor didn't happen yet) and the port did not have the US flag background and I was able to refit at the "neutral" port. It was a single mission so I could not dock since there is no home port in a single mission.

So I suspect there may be a problem with the Flotilla base you created. A name or date that you looked at 50 times but didn't see. I do that now and then. Most likely suspect is externalbasename=.

Just a suggestion: You CAN put the Naval Base into Campaign.LOC but if you check the files you will see "US NavalBases.mis" and "AxisNavalBases.mis" and "AlliesAirbases", and so on.

If you use one of these or create another with whatever country you want then all the bases are in the same file and you don't have to go searching for them later. You will find later that you may add bases that do not contain Flotillas and are only used for refits/supplies. And if you create several of them, you will soon forget where you put them as you move on to other stuff. Not only makes it easier to find, but also makes it less likely to make a mistake and mess up Campaign.LOC.
Campaign.LOC and Campaign.NMS are two files I use a lot to "Merge" as NOT saveable. It will give locations and names (that's what the LOC and NMS mean) so I can position stuff correctly without adding to the LOC and NMS file. Just a suggestion, not requied to do, but more organized.

If you post or PM a copy of the Flotilla with the base that didn't work and a copy of the file the base is in (Campaign.LOC??) I can take a look to see if I notice the problem. I may not see it, but a second set of eyes can't hurt. Unlesss you have deleted it.

Peabody

Old 05-19-11, 01:33 PM   #24
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi sid,

I took a look at the files you sent me, and at the beginning I couldn't find anything wrong with them. Flotillas seemed OK, and also Careerstart.upc. But this afternoon I think I've found what is wrong with it: the problem lies in the campaign.cfg. That file points to the naval bases in a file called Allied_Navalbases.mis, but the file is named Allies_Navalbases.mis. You can either rename the file or change the campaign.cfg. Also, that .mis starts at 19400101, and the game starts at war's beginning (19390903). As I changed both things at the same time, I'm not sure if the latter is important. You can try fixing the name first, and in case in wouldn't work fix the start date.

I played a couple of career starts (hard to survive in those coastal waters around Heligoland ), and even sunk one of the U-boats, but time compression killed the cat .
Old 05-20-11, 11:23 AM   #25
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi JL, Peabody,

Thanks for that, it brings the ports into play for refit, but still no docking, errors are like gnats, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
That file points to the naval bases in a file called Allied_Navalbases.mis, but the file is named Allies
But we are getting there, thanks fellas
Old 05-20-11, 11:26 AM   #26
peabody
Admiral

Post deleted. We are in the mission editor forum and I keep thinking Single missions. The comment didn't apply to the allies_navalbases, only to Patrol Objectives.

Peabody

Old 05-20-11, 01:02 PM   #27
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Hi JL, Peabody,

Thanks for that, it brings the ports into play for refit, but still no docking, errors are like gnats, if you know what I mean.

But we are getting there, thanks fellas
Ok, when you corrected the Allied_Navalbases.mis it brought the ports into play BUT if you notice it is trying to dock you at Portsmouth NOT Gosport. Since Gosport is your home port, you can not dock at Portsmouth (only refit.)

I moved Portsmouth off into the distance and it works fine for Gosport. So Portsmouth is too close. Delete Portmouth and you should be ok.

One thing I would suggest is when you place a naval base uncheck "delete on last waypoint". Since you did not assign a waypoint, it technically has reached it's "last waypoint". I only had it happen once, but I did have a base that never appeared and it was deleting itself. It only happened once, but it is a possibility.

I did not have time to test any more of the MOD but now that you can dock, you should be able to continue to other stuff.

Must easier to find the problem once I got the files to look at. Noticed it immediately when trying to dock. A few extra sets of eyes make a big difference. I know in the stuff I am working on, I get a 'bug' and look right at it 100 times and never see it.

Peabody

Old 05-21-11, 12:54 AM   #28
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
A few extra sets of eyes make a big difference.
I know what you mean Peabody, I find I can't see the wood for the tree's and without the extra eye's this would be impossible.

Thanks for the input and invaluable extra eye's that have helped with these campaign problems, this applies to JL as well.
Old 05-21-11, 04:32 AM   #29
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the input and invaluable extra eye's that have helped with these campaign problems, this applies to JL as well.
Definately, catching Allied and Allies is not an easy mistake to find.

Peabody

Old 05-21-11, 09:08 AM   #30
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

It's working at last, thanks peabody. I can refit and dock, now I can get on with other stuff. Made a new splash screen.

There is still so much to do, so time will tell.