SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-09, 06:51 AM   #31
linerkiller
Captain

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
I hope this project indeed comes to be...are these surface ships actually working in the game yet?

and a small note about lusitania, it as indeed carrying a huge number of rounds of ammunition contrary to what the British said at the time, so it was indeed a legitimate target. Such is the sad state of truth in war.
More than four millions rounds to be precise...enough to feed my lee enfield until 3000 a.c.!

However, her sinking had been a very bad event, maybe the first pace towards 20Th century brutalities and aberrations.

"When we realized that our clubbing and kickings were being administered by the burned, mutilated survivors of our handiwork, we found we could take it with less prejudice." Captain Richard "Dick" O'Kane-USS Tang
http://www.youtube.com/user/willembrock
linerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 07:06 AM   #32
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

The small British merchant is the only one tested ingame so far. However, this is good news for all ships b/c it proves that very high resolution skins & scratch-built hulls are possible.

I'm not entirely satisfied with many of the older models, so they will be redone.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 07:10 AM   #33
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
and a small note about lusitania, it as indeed carrying a huge number of rounds of ammunition contrary to what the British said at the time, so it was indeed a legitimate target. Such is the sad state of truth in war.
Well yes it was a legitimate target BUT not for torpedoing without previously allowing crew and passengers to get safe. The only merchants that can be torpedoes without previous warning must meet two conditions: 1) Be from an enemy nation, and 2) Be armed (Normally with a deck gun)

Lusitania was a legitimate prey under the prize rules, but only after stopping and checking papers and cargo as well as saving crew and passengers.
Old 09-16-09, 12:26 AM   #34
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Keltos & Sledgehammer, let me know which medium boats you are working on apart from U-1. Once the models are finished we can begin to make some minor interior modifications, work on sub paint schemes, and really get the ball rolling with this thing.
Old 09-16-09, 12:48 AM   #35
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

I need something to work on, gimme a class and I'll do my best
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 03:37 AM   #36
GerritJ9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 6

Wish I could help........ but my modding skills are dreadful, I couldn't even get my "Clemson to IJN PB102" and "C&D (i.e. Admiralen) to IJN PB106" projects to work properly
All I can contribute is finding and scanning info....

My SH3/SH4 mods: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/GerritJ9
GerritJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 06:50 AM   #37
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

A great thread like this can live wherever it wants.Awesome! This alone shows why the drink coaster business model for simulations makes no sense whatever. By traditional computer game conception, SH4 is an ancient, obsolete drink coaster.

IABL, this project alone shows that SH4 is maybe an adolescent. It hasn't realized 30% of its potential, except for the fact that Ubi has to cut it off at the knees in order to make any more money in the submarine simulation genre.

Wonder if they did that for chess or poker? They've been playing baseball for a few years, why not just replace it with something new? It's old technology! Oh, you mean they actually have a sustainable business model? That makes no sense whatever! Nobody would pay to watch a baseball game and then have to just go home. Next time they want to watch they just have to pay again. What sense does that make?

This is a great project and will live on my hard drive right beside TMO and RFB installations. You, keltos and peabody and the whole family of modders reveal the underlying hidden greatness in Silent Hunter 4. Salute!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 07:45 AM   #38
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

deep man, very deep

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 09:14 AM   #39
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
I need something to work on, gimme a class and I'll do my best
High priority subs right now are:

U-19 Class (same class that sank "Lusitania")

http://uboat.net/wwi/types/index.html?type=U+19

U-31 Class (some of the most successful boats of all time)

http://uboat.net/wwi/types/index.html?type=U+31

U-66 Class (four bow & 1 stern torpedo tubes - roughly similar to a Type VII)

http://uboat.net/wwi/types/index.html?type=U+66
Old 09-16-09, 09:18 AM   #40
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
A great thread like this can live wherever it wants.Awesome! This alone shows why the drink coaster business model for simulations makes no sense whatever. By traditional computer game conception, SH4 is an ancient, obsolete drink coaster.

IABL, this project alone shows that SH4 is maybe an adolescent. It hasn't realized 30% of its potential, except for the fact that Ubi has to cut it off at the knees in order to make any more money in the submarine simulation genre.

Wonder if they did that for chess or poker? They've been playing baseball for a few years, why not just replace it with something new? It's old technology! Oh, you mean they actually have a sustainable business model? That makes no sense whatever! Nobody would pay to watch a baseball game and then have to just go home. Next time they want to watch they just have to pay again. What sense does that make?

This is a great project and will live on my hard drive right beside TMO and RFB installations. You, keltos and peabody and the whole family of modders reveal the underlying hidden greatness in Silent Hunter 4. Salute!
Thank you for the kind words. I agree that devs need to pay more attention to:

1) Putting out a quality, non-rushed product the first time around

2) Providing sustained technical support

3) Engaging the mod community.
Old 09-16-09, 09:35 AM   #41
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

You'll love this

A high res plan of the famous UB-III class:

Old 09-16-09, 10:39 AM   #42
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Looks pretty cool so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Modern-day historians generally agree that she & the other German BC's were superior to their Royal Navy counterparts in terms of armor, underwater protection, & gunnery.
That's putting it mildly. German sighting systems were better and let the gunnery officers get on target faster. The downside was that they required better attention and the sighting officer tired faster. British guns were every bit as good, but there were ongoing problems with the shells themselves. Armor? Even Tiger only had 9" on the main belt, while the Germans all had between 11.8" and 13.8". If by underwater protection you mean compartmentation, they were about equal. As for anti-torpedo protection, only the British had any, only on a couple of experimental installments, and only at the very end of the war.

I can get you the specifics if it helps. I don't know how that stuff works in the game.
Old 09-16-09, 11:08 AM   #43
Bartolomeus
Planesman

Downloads: 30

This is a very interesting mod! Looks amazing so far.
Old 09-16-09, 12:31 PM   #44
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
You'll love this

A high res plan of the famous UB-III class:

Excellent. Do you have any more?

As for battlecruisers, I would have hated to have sailed on one of the British ones. The loss of "HMS Hood" proved that not even late-model British BC's were properly protected. Aesthetically, however, they are among my favorite ships. As of this month I have collected lots of screenshots & diagrams for creating models of the "Lion" class and "Queen Mary" variant.
Old 09-16-09, 03:19 PM   #45
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Well done for tackling this one, guys.

SH4 is a splendid graphics platform.
IMHO you have wisely concentrated on the subs, which is what SH4 was designed for.
The models you have showcased are mouth watering.

As a great fan of WW1, I will be following this one with great excitement and wish you every success.