SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-08, 08:33 AM   #1
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Sequence Of Events

I will purchase the Add On in order to support the franchise, but I'm only going to install it once the modders have created a full Atlantic U Boat campaign. U Boats in the Pacific honestly does nothing for me at all.

I anticipate the following sequence of events:

End of Feb: Add On released

Early March: curiosity and learning about the Add On. Issues with ROW, RFB and TM.

Early to Mid March: The moaning will start. "Why didn't they do this?" "This is still broken. Why didn't they fix SH4 rather than make us buy more software?"

Mid March: We hate Ubisoft. We demand a patch to fix the Add On. I paid for this software and it doesn't work. Here comes Krazy Frenchman on the Ubi Forum.

May: Ubisoft releases patch 1.6 (1.5 is contained within the Add On)

June: the Atlantic campaign is almost complete

July: I'll install the Add On plus patch.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 08:47 AM   #2
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I'll be hesitant to purchase it until I at least get a green light that the current major mods have been upgraded or verified to be compatible with the Add-On and I agree that we are looking at several months for that to happen.

I'm kind of interested in raiding some allied convoys in the Indian ocean. Being able to call in surface and air support will give it a new twist. It will keep the surface ships occupied with a greater threat while you line up for a good shot.

As for the Atlantischer mod, even if we started out with missions in the Med and off of Africa, it would be a good start. The nice thing about SHIV is that they pretty much mapped the entire globe. We already havve the real estate and it's just a matter of generating traffic with the correct ship models. I guess the modders will be importing a lot of models from SHIII.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 03:09 PM   #3
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
2009 or 2010 ? :rotfl:

Seriously, just testing takes a lot of time... So I bet it will not be ready before... :hmm:... A lot of days. :rotfl:
Old 01-31-08, 03:13 PM   #4
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

If we use SHIV damage models (i.e NSM) and SHIII models (targets) and behavior data, then I guess the main thing to play test would be how missions are laid out, depending on location and boat? How many months did it take to come up with and test the RSRDC campaign layers?

Would it be possible/feasible to start creating Atlantic missions, now, using US Fleet Boats, and then just substitute in the u-boats when the mod comes out?
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 03:38 PM   #5
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I actually want to give the campaign a whirl. You're right, what most people REALLY want from this is an Atlantic campaign mod. But I'm actually looking forward to taking my Uber-monsoon-boat east and commanding task forces to create big ol' fleet battles and convoy slaughters

The appeal won't last long for me, but I REALLY welcome the engine updates and I look forward to what it brings both in terms of mods and in terms of what I suspect may be future releases that REALLY utilize some of the new features (like being able to coordinate surface units *cough* DC2 *cough*)

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 04:05 PM   #6
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

As much as I like to purchase things thru SubSim I'm going to wait till the addon is in the Bargain Bin.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 09:54 PM   #7
_Seth_
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 93

Quote:
I will purchase the Add On in order to support the franchise, but I'm only going to install it once the modders have created a full Atlantic U Boat campaign. U Boats in the Pacific honestly does nothing for me at all.

I anticipate the following sequence of events:

End of Feb: Add On released

Early March: curiosity and learning about the Add On. Issues with ROW, RFB and TM.

Early to Mid March: The moaning will start. "Why didn't they do this?" "This is still broken. Why didn't they fix SH4 rather than make us buy more software?"

Mid March: We hate Ubisoft. We demand a patch to fix the Add On. I paid for this software and it doesn't work. Here comes Krazy Frenchman on the Ubi Forum.

May: Ubisoft releases patch 1.6 (1.5 is contained within the Add On)

:rotfl::rotfl:So true, mate...So true! History repeating itself..

_Seth_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 12:27 AM   #8
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Downloads: 30

Perhaps UBI should fix up what they already have or release there code so others can.

For starters UBI should check out what a wolfpack is

:rotfl:

And im reasonably sure most things took longer then 30 secs to fix after a decent depth charge attack

:rotfl:

Perhaps they could figure out a save game with no death spiral to the deep

Simple obvious stuff one would think in a U-Boat sim based on the Battle of the Atlantic constructed in the year 2005. Dont know if id ever buy another UBI product.

:hmm:
Badger Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 08:28 AM   #9
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:

August: UBI releases SHV.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 05:30 AM   #10
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
I will purchase the Add On in order to support the franchise, but I'm only going to install it once the modders have created a full Atlantic U Boat campaign.
I'll be installing it straight away! Will disable all mods and just go back to stock shIV play the addon and hold out till the modders got it solved. Unless i get real bad CTD or bugs then i'll leave it till its fixed. But i dont think i could buy it then sit and wait, i'd go nuts

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 08:04 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default I'll buy right away

Ubi earned my trust with their excellent patch 1.3 and removing the Sony garbagewear that was supposed to protect their software, but only punished legitimate users while leaving pirates unhindered. (wow, you'd think I don't like Sony or something:p)

I'll buy the add-on quickly and make a dual installation. That way I can continue to enjoy the present state of mods while everything shakes out. I miss old Kentucky Fried Meatball. Wonder how his church is going over at the Ubi forums?:rotfl:

Let's join the services of the Church of Kentucky Fried Meatball, in progress: "And so my bretheren, because of your support in demanding an upgrade, because you gave me the resources, because you did not doubt my powers against the evil Ubi Satan, you gave up your sleep calling all the hours of the night: therefore the sun rose up this morning and you now bask in the light of the day. Let no one now doubt my "habilities!"

I think we've heard enough... Now they have to do it all over again or the sun won't come up tomorrow. Sure am glad they're looking after our best interest.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-02-08 at 09:01 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 06:33 AM   #12
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins

I'll buy the add-on quickly and make a dual installation. That way I can continue to enjoy the present state of mods while everything shakes out. I miss old Kentucky Fried Meatball. Wonder how his church is going over at the Ubi forums?:rotfl:

Now why didn't i think of a dual install, thats what i'll do

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote