SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-07, 11:09 AM   #1
Incubus
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How do you operate twin 5" guns?

How do you operate twin 5" guns? Does the AI operate one while you aim another? I actually really like using the deck gun, so I'm definitely looking forward to this upgrade. I'm just curious about the functionality.
Incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 11:26 AM   #2
Snuffy
XO

Downloads: 5

I assume it'll be like the twin anti aircraft guns. One at a time.
Old 09-01-07, 02:33 PM   #3
AirborneTD
Engineer

Downloads: 23

Your crew mans one and you (manually) fire the other one. Very effective and deadly.
Old 09-01-07, 07:04 PM   #4
FAdmiral
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 6

Just make sure your gun loader is not nicknamed "Butterfingers" !!

JIM

www.fairtax.org
FAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 08:11 AM   #5
JSF
Engineer

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneTD
Your crew mans one and you (manually) fire the other one. Very effective and deadly.
Do you know this for certain?....Because I had the same issue while playing my previous career. I didn't realize it at the time.....I just remember thinking what a tearable waste not being able to fire both simultaniously.....

Thanks for the info.............
JSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 08:39 AM   #6
AirborneTD
Engineer

Yes, for certain. This is how it is on my current (mid 45) patrol in the Balao.
Old 09-02-07, 08:48 AM   #7
banjo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 55

However, I've found no way to switch between guns as you can with the ack ack guns--I can only man the forward gun.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 09:10 AM   #8
SnowCajun
Bosun

Downloads: 0
Default Dual 5" gun slow reloading.

I chose this set up but noticed it greatly slowed down the reload time of the gun I was shooting, so badly to the point when I returned to base I went back to the single 5" gun. Is that something everyone else is experiencing also?
SnowCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 11:35 AM   #9
AirborneTD
Engineer

Reload times seem fine for me, and yes, you don't get to chose which gun you man.
Old 09-28-07, 10:29 PM   #10
neumanf15
Seaman

Downloads: 7

I haven't gotten a chance to test in combat, but it seems to be good to go when I man the deck guns, so here's my input on this:
You CAN get both deck guns manned by AI, IF you are willing to do a little editing in your save game...
I have that nasty bug that won't let you switch deck gun positions without losing all deck gun crew positions. My deck gun was set to fore before I got the dual guns. It will only let me control the fore gun myself and my crew would only man the fore gun... SOOOO I had to go in and edit my save game per Coletrains (post #14) in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...highlight=deck

I switched my crew to the Aft Gun Deck and it was working fine. I could do what you were talking about AirborneTD - I man Fore, AI mans Aft.

But then I got to thinking:hmm:, "Shouldn't I be able to do this again, but make BOTH decks mannable by AI?" So I tried it - It SEEMS to have worked (again, not combat tested yet, but I hit man the deck gun and I look to see both guns manned)... Here's what I did:
I'm going to assume you read Coletrains' instructions in the link I provided. They are a lot more detailed than mine, but not patricularly necessary for this fix.
You have to do this while in port.
Go into the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in your save folder, per the thread above. Back it up first!
Find the gun deck that is not currently manned (Either Compartment 7(aft) or Compartment 8(fore)). You should see (substitute 7 for 8 if your fore gun deck is currently manned):
Code:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]
Remove the words AdditionalRepository so it says:
Code:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 1]
Repeat for Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2.
Don't change anything else. Save.
Load the game. You should see two gun decks, one with your original gun crew and one with two empty slots. Put some crew in the new slots and head out to sea.

Now if only I could figure out how to make it let me choose which deck gun to man!
neumanf15 is offline   Reply With Quote