SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-16, 02:30 AM   #3316
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I've got that right here, but if someone else would check things at like Pearl Harbor (especially) for ships running into each other, backing up for miles, etc...

I tried to re-do Pearl a bit RR, and have had some success, but all the "fancy" stuff they have of the ships coming in and docking is most likely going to have to be left out. The collision avoidance is really putting a binder on any of that happening even close to the way they are attempting to route them. Even very careful edits, and they do strange things. The ships end up in all sorts of very unrealistic situations, sometimes with lots of crashing and banging with smoke, fire and explosions. Very cool, if there wasn't supposed to be a ~WAR~ going on out there...
I'm copying a clean folder over for v1.4 - should ready to go in a few hours and will target Pearl harbor first.

+++ Ran aground by Secure ROM +++

Now where is that pesky disc gone... GRrr....

I will also check Midway and dutch Harbor depending on times, lots of renovation jobs planned today in RL.

Last edited by s7rikeback; 12-30-16 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Secure ROM
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 07:19 AM   #3317
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
That does sound more like your computer then, else you would have seen something in that amount of time... maybe... I'm running into some ~strange~ stuff today...
I had the same problem on two patrols under v0.50 and v0.52, both on a return to base, but starting just off Honshu. It wasn't an encounter with another group - I know the difference by now. The fps slowed and would not run "smooth" at greater than 512k tc, and remained that way all the way back to Midway and Pearl.

Meanwhile Gamebooster3 magically updated itself to Gamebooster4, which allows much greater flexibility in what processes you can turn off. When I used it to close things that normally run in the background I found all the time stuttering issues disappeared. So maybe it's not a game or mod issue, at least in my case. BTW, one of the things it turned off was my Norton. That thing was a hog.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 09:21 AM   #3318
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Norton is one of several Beasts of AV... As for the stuttering stopping, that background hog known as Windows Update is a beast also... However, over by Honshu is where we've had issues before, and it's almost always been that shtinking Jap_HarborTraffic layer causing it... More close-in look-seeing in store for us... It is a bit difficult though, to get into a Japanese harbor area in a US Fleet Boat. They don't understand that I just want to look around a little, fix things up for 'em, ya know?... So we gotta find ourselves a playable IJN vessel that's compatible with Ultimate...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 09:29 AM   #3319
propbeanie

I'm going to bombard you all with pictures...

I'd almost forgotten how beautiful the dusk and early dawn shots can be in this. By the way, these are from SH4 v1.4 Fall of the Rising Sun v2. I never have "finished" a career in it, but not from lack of trying... I just kept getting depth charged to death, but that's neither here nor now...

First up for "photographic evidence" are a couple shots to show what I mean about how good looking FotRS v2 is, the visible details:

Then, of course, the main reason for doing this is to look at Pearl Harbor and its idiosyncrasies as compared to the Ultimate edition. Just as in Ultimate, the scene opens with a B24 flying overhead. It did not crash as it did last night in Ultimate, but it does fly awful slow for a big plane... Anyway, the first thing I did then was take a "cruise" around the harbor, and I looked under several of the ships that had spawned. Plenty of water beneath the ones I looked at, and none have rocks through their hulls. The water seems to be a bit deeper, though I don't know how that would be...

Anyway, next I went to watch the Big Tanker as it came through to dock. Just like in the Ultimate edition, the "pilot" on the ship hasn't a clue what he's doing. In this shot, there's all sorts of grinding and scraping and crashing going on as he tries to hit the pier:

Notice the 3 subs above the pier and to the right of the tanker? That's the tanker's target, in a roundabout way (YES!!!)

While I'm watching the ship then compensate for the "impact" with a hard-left move - which puts it headed directly for Battleship Row and Ford Island - there's all of a sudden an explosion and fire...

... what could that be? Notice the flag sticking out of the water here?

Looking beneath the surface, we find:

... hmmm... I wonder how ~that~ got there?...

In the meantime, our Big Tanker buddy has decided to back up, just like it does in FotRS Ultimate, and goes right for the sub base...

Only in v2, he goes a little further with his plan:

Notice the sub conns and flags sticking up through the pavement?... That's two conns up there by the lower crane, their flags are behind the tanker's stack, and the 3rd boat's conn is in the tanker's superstructure, with its flag right below the water tower, that skinny little blue triangle at the bottom of the pic. Interesting meld, isn't it?...

I've got another dozen shots of the happenings there in the first hour or so, and it's very similar to FotRS Ultimate, other than Ultimate has more traffic. One thing to note, is that there is a CV parked to the East of the sub's dock. I don't think they were there at Oh Eight Hundred hours on the 8th, were they?

Anyway, over by Honolulu, there's a couple of ships blocking the channel, sitting sideways and confused. I'm thinking that all vessels over 250 foot in length will have to sit still in the harbors in FotRS Ultimate, else we'll get very unpredictable results. The collision avoidance does NOT work too well where there is a "dock" involved. The game does not treat vessels that are RGG and spawn in the US_HarborTraffic layer the same as it does a "Scripted" vessel in the US_NavalBases level, and neither has vessels that "know" a dock is supposed to be an immovable, inpenetrable object that should be avoided...

Once last thing: Does anyone recognize this boat?... We might have to do some tweaking to see which one this is...

It sure are perty, and I've got uses for a couple of these in the Aleutians Campaign...

Old 12-30-16, 10:22 AM   #3320
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Icon1 CTD

Propbeanie,
I just arrived to my patrol area when I received a radio message that a large task force was spotted in the area of Osaka (Lat 135* 17'E Long 34* 34'N) around the 4th of November 1942. I was only 10 hours southwest of the entrance to Kii Suido (Lat 134* 40'E Long 33* 40'E). So headed to entrance of the bay, depth was too shallow to go in farther. It was dark when I arrived, don't know the time, set up a search pattern of constance 5 degrees starboard turn. I was adjusting the TC to 512 when the game CTD. Started the game again, but the task force didn't spawn in the area again. Will continue to report as odd behavior occurs.
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:30 AM   #3321
propbeanie

Thanks, we'll check that out. cdrsubron7 has issues a little South of where you are, and we've probably got something not quite right still in that Jap_HarborTraffic layer, or the Jap_TaskForce for the different time frames...

Old 12-30-16, 01:26 PM   #3322
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:

It sure are perty, and I've got uses for a couple of these in the Aleutians Campaign...
Insane! We ought to leave it just for people to record Wacky Harbor videos for You Tube. It's a giant Easter Egg!

Too bad we're not ingenious enough to actually invent this stuff....I think.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 02:00 PM   #3323
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Once last thing: Does anyone recognize this boat?... We might have to do some tweaking to see which one this is...

Looks like a Narwhal to me

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 02:11 PM   #3324
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 12-30-16, 02:56 PM   #3325
propbeanie

So it's not 'available anywhere' then, but rather 'in limited quantities, check with your local retailer'... ratz. I've also never seen that picture of a boat launching that you have there... hmm.... thank you, sir! It's the "fake" version of the boat, right?

Old 12-30-16, 02:59 PM   #3326
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

This is what I was explaining earlier. This was taken from the latest build that was released today. The view perspective is still tilting upward. This screenshot was taken in calm seas. It should be level. The view in the Conning tower is correct. The fix was discovered by gutted a few posts up. I have in the meantime, taken the same interior dat files from TM 2.5, and have copied them over to this mod. Seems to have fix the problem until this issue is addressed.

Thanks for this mod. It is shaping up really nice!
If your sub is ascending or descending your interior view will show the tilt. If your sub is on a level plane, it will ride level. What your showing with the picture is your sub is ascending upward. What you guys are complaining about has been purposely added to the Camera in the Command Room, Radio Room, and Conning Tower.

Its a realism factor added to the game.

Make sure you use the camera that's setup for the room your in...in other words don't walk through the Radio Room door to view the Radio Room with the Command Room camera....use the Radio Room camera in the Radio Room. Use the Command Room Camera in the Command Room. Don't pass through the different rooms with the same camera.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 12-30-16 at 03:12 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 03:03 PM   #3327
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Just when you thought it was safe to get in the water, gunboats aplenty, this was taken after I'd sunk a merchant near Yaizu, the gunboat pics further down were taken in the same mission, photo recon missions are a pain gentlemen, a real pain.

My battery recharge officer needs fixing, it says you can stick him anywhere, but only the engine compartment will activate his abilities.

This gunboat (atami class) is drunk on duty, sober the poor thing up please, errr you do know how to do it don't you, because I haven'y got the foggiest.

I also noticed that the camera icon didn't light up and I didn't hear the camera taking the pic either, its probably a trivial matter to you modders but some people might not know if they'd had a successful mission or not mightn't they.
It was only when I'd checked my orders that I saw I was successful, can you do a Bob the builder and fix it please.
Old 12-30-16, 03:30 PM   #3328
propbeanie

What we've been finding the last few days Moonlight is that there are a lot of vessels that "spawn" on top of rocks, and they do like what you're illustrating there, or they may blow up and burn. It also seems that the drunken Momi (?? it was you, wasn't it??) and a few other vessels like that are routed to pass over reefs. Since they are "drawn" on screen at the time of your coming into "range" as it were, they will end up partially out of the water and / or partially clad in their skins and / or not show up at all, whatever mood suits the game engine at that time. We're working on going through all those layers - again - in a hunt for the not-so-obvious stuff like that, while at the same time, trying to have harbor traffic not trash the place right in front of the sub commander as he's leaving home port... In conjunction with that hunt, we find other things, like run-away patrol vessels now at Dutch Harbor, that I think most everyone using v0.52 will eventually encounter in one form or another, if from nothing else, the "hit" on performance, as some have experienced... more later...

Edit: btw Moonlight, what boat are you in with that "sick" crew member at the batteries? Also, are you using v0.52? You shouldn't be getting photo recons. If you are in v0.52, we missed one...

Edit Again: I can't see a date in your pics. About when is it?... and even in v0.52, there's almost 2 dozen vessels in the bay there, of which almost half are the patrol craft... another edit coming to further pare it down...

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-30-16 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Always with the questions...
Old 12-30-16, 03:43 PM   #3329
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
It's the "fake" version of the boat, right?
Yeah that's right
IIRC I believe Ducimus put it together for an early version of TMO

In FOTRSU it seems to be available from both Pearl and Freemantle throughout the war

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 12-30-16, 05:02 PM   #3330
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Default Who needs a ship anyway?

FOTRSU v0.52

Pearl Harbor 1941.