SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-17, 06:49 AM   #1
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Default How do you like your wine – with a cork or screw-cap?

Quote:
If you are a regular wine drinker it is almost certain that you have opened a corked bottle or two in your time.
As a result of a tainted cork, the wine smells and tastes unpleasant - all musky and mouldy.
After the initial disappointment, you then have the worry of trying to get your money back from the wine shop or supermarket.
http://www.winespectator.com/webfeat...t-and-TCA_3346

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41319135

Note: 21 September 2017

I have always preferred wine with cork.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 07:30 AM   #2
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Screw top, ice cold

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 08:25 AM   #3
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

A lot of modern wines have modern corks made of plastic, working like the original cork ones so the wine can breathe; it is like a bundle of tight-packed filaments.
There are good wines with a screw-cork, too.
I would prefer the original cork, however it depends on the wine, not the package.

A long time ago we had a discussion with Bruno Prats, back then a wine-grower from the Bordeaux region. He said that a good cork is a pricey thing, not only because of buying the cork-oak plug itself, but because natural corks sometimes malfunction, 'bleeding' unwanted substance in the wine, or letting too much oxygen into the bottle, thus spoiling some of the harvest. Especially bad when it is an expensive wine being spoilt. A lot of wine bottles develop their flavour over ten+ years, so if the cork fails at some point...

Prats said he would like to use new sterile artificial ones (those i mentioned above), but apart from being expensive a lot of traditional clients would not buy a Bordeaux wine without a natural cork..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 09-21-17 at 08:37 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 09:04 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I drank wine or a beer daily, but some years ago I lost the taste for it, also could not deal with the alcohol as good as before, I got a headache already after half a glass of beer or wine.

I then switched to things I did not like before, but combining two dislikes added for one very pleasant like, strnagely. I never liked white beer, or alcohol-free beer - but I exclusively like alcohol-free white beer these days, Erdinger Weißbier. And I happened to be unimpressed by whte wine, and absolutely disliked sweet wine: but now I strongly like an Italian daily-use wine that is not only white but fruity and sweet like freshly picked and squeezed table grapes. Ice-cold, and mixed with one third to one half of ice water, it is most delicious a drink, especially in Summer.

And it comes in - ehem, tetrapacks. Pardon the heresy.

And twice or three times a year, a small glass of Dalwhinnie.

Else, for wine in bottles, corks made of plastic are the way to go, as Catfish said. If you like the style of corks. Personally I could not care any less for whether it has a plastic cork or a screw cap.
Old 09-21-17, 09:35 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I drank wine or a beer daily, but some years ago I lost the taste for it, also could not deal with the alcohol as good as before, I got a headache already after half a glass of beer or wine.

I then switched to things I did not like before, but combining two dislikes added for one very pleasant like, strnagely. I
And it comes in - ehem, tetrapacks. Pardon the heresy.
Else, for wine in bottles, corks made of plastic are the way to go, as Catfish said. If you like the style of corks. Personally I could not care any less for whether it has a plastic cork or a screw cap.
AWWWWW! QUIT YER WHININ'! < when I'm short on dinaro-it's screwtop:
Quote:
As pictured to the left, look for the pigeon feces and you'll find this old bird. As soon as you taste this swill, it will be obvious that its makers cut every corner possible in its production to make it cheap. Self-proclaimed as "The American Classic," Thuderbird is Vinted and bottled byE&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA. Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd." If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you. Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird. As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower. The undisputed leader of the five in foulness of flavor, we highly discourage drinking this ghastly mixture of unknown chemicals unless you really are a bum. A convenience store clerk in Show Low, AZ once told me that only the oldest of stumbling indian drunks from the reservation buy Thunderbird.
But as soon as my social security check arrives I move back up to 'three buck chuck', the mainstay of Trader Joes stores; and it has a cork!!! so my dignity is somewhat restored!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-21-17 at 10:27 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 10:47 AM   #6
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Not fussed either way, but it's apparently a good tip to shake a bottle of red vigorously after some has been decanted, to get the oxygen into it... no need to let it 'breathe' then, see?
Old 09-21-17, 11:25 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default ^ not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Not fussed either way, but it's apparently a good tip to shake a bottle of red vigorously after some has been decanted, to get the oxygen into it... no need to let it 'breathe' then, see?
Not quite lad; a handy wine aerator is indispensable equipment. <$22.00 too, cheap not to have! There is a removable screen which prevents moldy or crumbling corks from going into the glass of otherwise perfectly good old wine; and the shaking of an older properly horizontally stored bottle would reintroduce dregs or settlement into the glass. http://www.wineenthusiast.com/learn/wine-aerators/difference-between-decanting-and-aerating.asp AS I'm something of a collector of noted winemaker's vintage stuff (Heidi Barrett's Shoket-alas I cannot afford her famed cult wine Screaming Eagle
Quote:
At the Napa Valley Wine Auction of 2000, a 6-liter bottle of Heidi’s 1992 Screaming Eagle Cabernet set a world record for the highest price ever paid for a single bottle of wine at $500,000. The following year, a vertical offering of this cult wine went for $650,000.
Now at 7K a bottle!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Barrett) Properly aerated into a crystal decanter> Voila! instant good-to-go vino. In Napa earthquake country, most of my livingroom is a shake-proof wine cellar-my collection, properly on racks, has withstood two temblors even if the chimney, walls and dirt-cheap stemware did not!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 11:35 AM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Is there a combination of both-A wine bottle with a cork and a screw-cap ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 11:35 AM   #9
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I use to drink wine, but I've had a life changing experience ... now I just drink water and fruit juice. Here's what the Bible says though

Jesus Changes Water Into Wine
1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,
2and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding.
3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4 “Woman,why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”They did so,
9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine.
He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew.
Then he called the bridegroom aside
10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink;
but you have saved the best till now.”

Ecclesiastes 9:7 Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, God has already approved what you do.

1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 10:21 PM   #10
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Cork. And I like my wine quite dry.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 11:44 PM   #11
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
Cork. And I like my wine quite dry.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 01:36 AM   #12
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Screw top, ice cold

Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 03:33 AM   #13
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post

< when I'm short on dinaro-it's screwtop:
But as soon as my social security check arrives I move back up to 'three buck chuck', the mainstay of Trader Joes stores;...

"Three Buck Chuck?!?" The last I heard of TJ's wine it was "Two
Buck Chuck; it seem inflation has gotten the better of even the most modest of pleasures...

I don't drink wine since I have a tendency to develop roaring headaches while I'm drinking it, even in modest amounts, sometime with less than a full glass; my past oenophile acquaintances have told me it my be due to a reaction to the various phosphor compounds found in wine. As time has progressed, I have had to give up drinking hard liquor (done about twenty-odd years ago) due to internal concerns and now find myself even bereft of beer since the young doctors who seem intent on prolonging my life (something they may have to answer for, someday) have placed me on various medications, some of which have very dire warnings about mixing them with anything alcoholic. I don't know what is worse: not being able to down a few pints or having to possibly face the rest of my life without the means to occasionally dull tedium...

In this great cork vs. cap debate, where do box wines fit: they tend to have neither, just a spout or spigot?...

<O>
Old 09-22-17, 04:17 AM   #14
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

There are wines with out cork?
here almost every wine bottles are with cork. The few exceptions are foreign wines and a few brands/low cost bottles that use plastic/ synthetic rubber cork.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote