SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-17, 06:33 PM   #436
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.jakub88 View Post
Hello everyone,

I came across a strange situation when using this mod. In early July 1945 i travelled to Iwo Jima since it should to be already in US hands by 26 March 1945. As soon as i got close to harbor my submarine was attacked by one of the coastal guns and i took some damage. Fortunatelly i quickly dived and made it back home safely with finished repairs.

Later suggested by Bubblehead1980, that this could be a problem with incorrect exit dates set for guns i opened the Jap_Coastalbattery.mis file using SH4 Mission Editor. Just as i suspected the dates for 2 guns were set to 31.12.1945. Be aware, that also some other dates for Japanese coastal batteries in the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod were set incorrectly. I posted this for the request of s7rikeback.
Yes, Traveller's Mod is full of pretty egregious bugs, especially the latest version, which is not as good as the version before. Making a supermod, or even a mod for a supermod is not for the faint of heart or for those who think they won't spend much time doing it. If it were easy, there would be a lot more of them.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 07:55 PM   #437
p.jakub88
Gunner

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 1
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Yes, Traveller's Mod is full of pretty egregious bugs, especially the latest version, which is not as good as the version before. Making a supermod, or even a mod for a supermod is not for the faint of heart or for those who think they won't spend much time doing it. If it were easy, there would be a lot more of them.
Hello Rockin Robbins,

well the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod has also many nice features in my opinion such sinking sound for most enemy ships, added warships patrolling harbors, etc. I personally copied over some files from his mod into SH4.

I already corrected the dates for Japanese coastal batteries using Mission Editor, since Traveller added new gun emplacements (like those 2 at Iwo Jima harbor).

The real problem is, that the mod is not updated any more and there is no contact with the mod creator.
p.jakub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 08:18 PM   #438
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hello Rockin Robbins,

well the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod has also many nice features in my opinion such sinking sound for most enemy ships, added warships patrolling harbors, etc. I personally copied over some files from his mod into SH4.

I already corrected the dates for Japanese coastal batteries using Mission Editor, since Traveller added new gun emplacements (like those 2 at Iwo Jima harbor).

The real problem is, that the mod is not updated any more and there is no contact with the mod creator.
I would not be a bit sorry to see you fork it and release Jakub's Mod as an update and muchas bug fix. You seem like a pretty capable guy and the more currently maintained mods that are alive and healthy the better!

A stretch goal: Take TMO 2.5 and Traveller Mod TOGETHER AS A SINGLE MOD and release them as Jakob's SuperMod.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-03-17 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-03-17, 02:37 AM   #439
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14

Quote:
I would not be a bit sorry to see you fork it and release Jakub's Mod as an update and muchas bug fix. You seem like a pretty capable guy and the more currently maintained mods that are alive and healthy the better!

A stretch goal: Take TMO 2.5 and Traveller Mod TOGETHER and release them as Jakob's SuperMod.
Hello Rockin Robbins,

Thank You for the appreciation.

However such thing will require asking a original mod creator for using part of his mod or at least mentioning him in credits.

I am currently playing a new career to test the changes that i had made in various SH4 files to see if the results will be as i wanted to be.
Old 09-03-17, 07:26 AM   #440
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hello Rockin Robbins,

However such thing will require asking a original mod creator for using part of his mod or at least mentioning him in credits.

I am currently playing a new career to test the changes that i had made in various SH4 files to see if the results will be as i wanted to be.
I would ask Neal what procedures would pass the smell test on obtaining permissions. Chances are neither modder will make themselves available and after a reasonable length of time you would be considered to have permission. We have Ducimus on record as begging someone to take over his mod.

But asking Neal what guidelines would be acceptable is the right course. And, of course, giving the original modders credit and clearly representing yours as a fork, not the original work, which would still be available to download, would be important too.

We faced the same issues with Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, ultimately chasing AOTDMad_Max to his German website where he wasn't particularly active but eventually noticed our posts. Eventually, he followed us here, checked out our work and endorsed FOTRSU.
Old 09-03-17, 10:01 AM   #441
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Traveller was on here a few weeks (months??) ago, and might answer a PM.

Edit - Found it:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...94#post2481594

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 08:26 PM   #442
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I admit (especially) the latest version had more bugs than I would have liked, but I was modding things that were never intended to be changed, creating unintended buggy side-effects. Maybe I pushed the envelope too far.

Last edited by Traveller; 09-20-17 at 08:52 PM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 08:47 PM   #443
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Hello Rockin Robbins,

Hello jakub88. Thanks for taking interest in Traveller Mod.

I haven't been here in a while, so I haven't really kept up with the modding scene. Unfortunately due to the lack of a proper computer for modding and testing SH4 (plus other life circumstances), any future versions of Traveller Mod by me are unfortunately on hold.

But if anyone wants to use any part of my mods to add to their own mod releases, I have no problem with that. You have my permission. Just please credit me.

Last edited by Traveller; 09-21-17 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 02:08 AM   #444
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14

Hello Traveller,

nice to see You back.

I like many of Your mod features.

I don't want to take over Your work, i only fixed some small errors, that's all.
Old 09-21-17, 03:02 AM   #445
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Hello Traveller,

nice to see You back.

I like many of Your mod features.

I don't want to take over Your work, i only fixed some small errors, that's all.
I see. If you want to make patches for Traveller Mod to fix bugs and upload them here, you have my permission.
Old 09-21-17, 03:24 AM   #446
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I see. If you want to make patches for Traveller Mod to fix bugs and upload them here, you have my permission.

Hello Traveller,

thank You for the permission.

Traveller v2.6 TMO 1.0 patch

This patch fixes the incorrect exit dates for some Japanese coastal guns to be more historically accurate.

I uploaded this patch on Subsim download section in the category - Silent Hunter 4 / Gameplay mods: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5295

If i plan to release any further patches for Traveller v2.6 TMO mod i will let You know via PM.

Last edited by p.jakub88; 09-21-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 06:09 PM   #447
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Traveller, I think p.jakub88 is going to do right by your mod and make you look mighty good. The conversations I've had with him have convinced me that he's the right guy to do this.

It would be great to see Traveller's mod become popular again. And it is great to see new modders paying tribute to the great modders who came before.
Old 09-22-17, 02:39 AM   #448
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14

Quote:
Traveller, I think p.jakub88 is going to do right by your mod and make you look mighty good. The conversations I've had with him have convinced me that he's the right guy to do this.

It would be great to see Traveller's mod become popular again. And it is great to see new modders paying tribute to the great modders who came before.

Hello Rockin Robbins,

thank You Sir!

In general the Traveller v2.6 TMO is a good mod and has many nice features.

I made few other additional changes in it, but only for my personal use, because people wouldn't like those changes. In example i made all enemy planes hitpoints values like the stock SH4, because i thought it was too difficult to shot them down in the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod. However, Bleiente disagreed with me. I wanted to avoid conflict on the Subsim forum, so i abandoned the idea. I stated only, that most Japanese planes at that time had no armor protection and no self-sealing fuel tanks - which is a fact not my opinion.

P.S.

Could You reply to a PM that i sent to You on 17.09? Thank You in advance.

Last edited by p.jakub88; 09-22-17 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 07:18 PM   #449
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Hello Rockin Robbins,

thank You Sir!

In general the Traveller v2.6 TMO is a good mod and has many nice features.

I made few other additional changes in it, but only for my personal use, because people wouldn't like those changes. In example i made all enemy planes hitpoints values like the stock SH4, because i thought it was too difficult to shot them down in the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod. However, Bleiente disagreed with me. I wanted to avoid conflict on the Subsim forum, so i abandoned the idea. I stated only, that most Japanese planes at that time had no armor protection and no self-sealing fuel tanks - which is a fact not my opinion.

P.S.

Could You reply to a PM that i sent to You on 17.09? Thank You in advance.
I made the planes tougher because even after modding to decrease AA gun accuracy, I felt that it was still too easy to rack up many, many enemy aircraft kills, which would have been historically unrealistic. From what I have read, most US sub captains chose not to stay on the surface and fight it out with enemy aircraft. Therefore, I made the aircraft much tougher in order to force captains to play more historically accurate by forcing them to dive upon contact like they usually did in real life.
Old 09-22-17, 08:01 PM   #450
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Perfectly correct - it's way too easy to shoot a fast-flying aircraft with the Flak.
It does not matter that Japanese planes did not have self-locking tanks.

keep going!