Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-20-11, 10:13 AM   #1
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default SF install assistance needed

After waiting months to get SF, a friend was able to Dl a copy of SF earlier this week for me from Gamersgate. He put it on both disc and a separate drive. We also installed it and ran it on his computer and it started ok. I then attempted to install on mine but game will not install. I get the initial install screen(from setup.exe), but absolutely nothing happens upon selecting the "Install" button. I then attempted to install on my wife's computer and the same exact thing happens.

The readme advises of potential install problems and to install the included "vc redist 86 exe" program, update dirextx9, and possibly dotnetfx.exe.

All but the dotnet.exe install ok. the last one fails and says it's incompatible with current program. Anyone have any clues on this. I recall reading of some having install problems (and a possible case of some downloads having missing DLL files I think) but have checked here and at the Graviteam forums but can't find the applicable threads.

Old 03-20-11, 09:14 PM   #2
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0

Hi Hemisent,

What O/S are you using?
I'm not sure whether you have a 'Starter.exe' executable, you might want to try using that for the installation. Also a good idea to install in any other folder except '/Program Files/'

Good luck!

Just curious, does the download version require any activation code?
Kyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:38 PM   #3
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Kyth
Thanks. I've got an older setup using XP. There is an "autorun.exe" used to start the install. I've tried putting starting it directly from the separate drive, from desktop, and finally put it in the C/program files where all my games usually reside and there is no change. I hit the autorun.exe, the install screen pops up instantly, i then hit "install" and ...nothing.

The only thing that I can think of is my graphic card is an NVIDIA GTX 580. Everything else should be ok. A new rig is in the works but not for a month or so.
Old 03-21-11, 07:22 AM   #4
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

Hi,

Here's something else from the readme file, under 'Known Issues':

12) If the game was installed on Windows XP Service Pack 1, it is necessary to upgrade to Service Pack 2, or, enable Windows 95 Compatibility Mode for the game application and the game installer. In addition, it is required to install .NET Framework 2.0 as well.

I think there are a couple of suggestions right there,

Good luck!

Old 03-22-11, 05:26 PM   #5
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Kyth
Thanks for the reply. I tried the windows 95 compatability -same. I reinstalled direct x 9-same. I attempted to install .Net Framework 2.0 but a window pops up advising it's not compatable with currently installed program. I then DL'd .Net Framework 2.0 from microsoft site (thinking that perhaps my copy on the disc was corrupt) and got the same window. Funny thing is I tried all this on my wife's rig and got the same results.

I opened up my add/remove programs and found .Net Framework 2.0 sp2, .Net Framework 3.0 and .Net Framework 3.5(the last time used was 2009 according to the log.

Could this be the glitch? What's with 3 versions of the same program?
Old 03-23-11, 01:45 AM   #6
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

I don't think it's a .Net 2.0 problem,
could it be your anti-virus program being over-protective?
One more thing, do you have a copy on CD?
You might want to try installing from that; maybe something was corrupted on the portable drive,
Old 03-23-11, 06:17 PM   #7
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Hi Kyth
Yes I have it copied on a CD also but I get the same identical results with both. I never thought of the anti virus program I'll try shutting that down. I would normally think this is a corrupted download but the game DL'd, installed and played correctly on my friends rig. There's got to be a reason for this.
Old 03-23-11, 09:10 PM   #8
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

Good luck with the anti-virus protection;

one final thing is to see if your ID has Administrator rights?

Old 03-24-11, 08:28 AM   #9
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Hey Kyth
No luck on the anti virus. As for Admin rights...don't know. I don't recall ever getting into that as I'm the only user. How do I check it? Just went into the help/support section and can't find anything pertaining to setting administrator rights.
Old 03-24-11, 10:36 AM   #10
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

The settings are under 'Control Panel > User accounts'

I'm totally stumped, usually the game installation is the easy part,

Here's the contents of my game CD.Do you see anything missing?

Last edited by Kyth; 03-24-11 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-24-11, 04:35 PM   #11
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Hi Kyth
In comparing the included files/folders the only differences are; yours shows a "set.exe" mine does not, and I have a "launch" file. The odd thing is your setup.exe is 332 kb and so is my "launch" at 332kb Could it be that yours is off a hard copy while mine is a DL version? I'm hitting "autorun.exe when I attempt to install the game which brings up the install screen which then does nothing.

Just checked and I am listed as adninistrator.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Thanks
H

edit: Just checked the instructions for the zillionth time and they say "setup.exe" is used to install the game, there's no mention of an "autorun.exe" I just assumed that was the file to click on as I have no setup.exe either on my burned copy or the separate drive.

Last edited by HEMISENT; 03-24-11 at 04:52 PM.
HEMISENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 08:34 PM   #12
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

Well, I assume you've tried to use the 'launch' executable? It's worth a shot, if you haven't,
Old 03-24-11, 10:22 PM   #13
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Hey Kyth
Thanks for sticking with me on this. The "launch" that I have is not an exe. just a file in a program similar to all four of the "setup-#. bin" files. Yes, i have tried it but am unable to open it.

I think I need to get back to the computer that dl'd the game and see if there is a setup.exe and copy that. He's back in town this weekend so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Other than that I'm pretty much at a loss. Thanks to the screen shot of your game's contents at least now I think I have a direction to look.

H
Old 03-25-11, 05:13 AM   #14
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

If all else fails, here's something I wouldn't normally recommend:

Try renaming the 'Launch' file as an executable, and see whether it works,

Old 03-25-11, 06:10 AM   #15
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Exe. File

If worse comes to worse Hemi I can send you a cd copy of my installation disc. I proposed it to you a while back when you were desperately looking for SF.My offer still stands.

One advice I am giving you once you got your installation problems sorted out is to make copies of your game on separate partitions.By copy I mean all you have to do - which I have done dozens of times and still do routinely - is make copy of you entire game folder with all the mod s and missions isnatlled and simply past eit into another folder ina separate partition.It works very well and allows you to have many copies of your game without having to use the installtion CD all the times.In addition I keep a back up of all my installtions on an external hard drive this way I can copy and re-install my games.I have 14 copies of SF on a laptop and a pc and all were made simply by copying and pasting a whole installation without using the installation Cd. I thus keep SP 1.4, the Htezer-Panther mod, Unfofficial 1.5 and Beta 1,5 multiple installtions .Useful for experiments.

I think your problem is the lack of qn exe file which is why it does not start installing.

Best of luck!

With Meister Kyth you are in very good hands!Luck!
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote