SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-17, 04:09 PM   #1
Pluntfarb
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Cold Waters Worth It?

I'm a big fan of Dangerous Waters and most of the Silent Hunter series. I was thinking of getting Cold Waters but I've heard so much contradictory info on it.

Some people seem to love it, or hate it, and those that love it seem to have began to dislike parts of it.

So, is it worth getting and trying? How is it doing after release?
Pluntfarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 04:13 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Pluntfarb!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 04:26 PM   #3
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluntfarb View Post
I'm a big fan of Dangerous Waters and most of the Silent Hunter series. I was thinking of getting Cold Waters but I've heard so much contradictory info on it.

Some people seem to love it, or hate it, and those that love it seem to have began to dislike parts of it.

So, is it worth getting and trying? How is it doing after release?
In my humble opinion...YES GET IT

It has great support, constant updating, and lots of great mod makers......

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 04:30 PM   #4
dbrown18154
Nub

Downloads: 6

While I don't love it, I think it's pretty good. If you haven't already, check out some of the YouTube playthroughs. I'd recommend the vids by Jive Turkey. They convinced me to buy it and I've no regrets.
dbrown18154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 04:35 PM   #5
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Like you said, not everyone likes it. Whether you will like it will depend on whether the developer's description of the game matches your taste. I can say the game matches the developer's description. It is not however, Dangerous Waters or Silent Hunter (any of them.) It's more like Red Storm Rising.

I think those who do not like it didn't fully understand what the game was about and after trying it decided their misconception didn't match the actual game play.

Since you decided to fact find other opinions, it likely means you are undecided and have a budget. I suggest you watch the many videos available on youtube and other sources which give a pretty accurate demonstration of other player's first impressions of the game.

Other considerations:
1) The game is aggressively supported by the developer. This means the game is evolving. New features added, original features refined. It also means if the player chooses to participate in optional beta releases, the game could go belly up unpredictably at times.
2) The developer actively supports modding and has provided editable text files controlling many of the game's features. The game is new, the mod interface under development and the mod community in early learning. This means mods break with new game features and updates and the mods currently available (and yet soon to come) are experimental and often under rapid development and release cycles.

Know what you are getting and you'll make the right choice.

-Pv-

Last edited by -Pv-; 09-20-17 at 04:53 PM.
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 09:35 PM   #6
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104

Watch game play video on youtube...best way to make up your mind.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 03:00 PM   #7
BLACK_FLAME
Sailor man

Downloads: 80

I bought the game when it was first released on Steam but I got bored because I did not know how to play. After watching Jive Turkey's tutorial which explains a lot on how to play CW (especially coming from SH5), this sparked my interest in the game. Please watch and support Jive turkey because not only is he part of the subsim community he is also a great streamer and knows a lot about CW and Submarines in general.
BLACK_FLAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 03:10 PM   #8
chillbro baggins
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

I bought SH5 on sale for $5 years ago, paid full price for CW. If you're into sub combat sims, it's worth it just for the active-homing wire-guided torpedoes. **** all the math of intercepting a target, just put a Mk48 down the approximate bearing of a contact and it'll hit. And if they juke it, you can steer it into them.
chillbro baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 03:19 PM   #9
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158

I watch Jive Turkey too. He inspired me to start my channel, because I wanted to share the fun I was having with the game. Hope you enjoy my humble channel as well. I try to post at least every day. The game is a blast

Thanks guys!

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 06:03 PM   #10
nesbit
Watch

Downloads: 9

CW takes me back to Red Storm Rising. One of my favorite games. Only CW has a lot more potential, and I hope this is just the beginning.

We need to recognize Killer Fish Games for making a game in what (I think) is a niche market. Personally I'm waiting to throw more money at them for a DLC.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 08:19 PM   #11
stevieshae
Yak-38M "Forger-A" Pilot

Downloads: 33

As someone who never touched a sim game, and when heard that killer fish was making a sub sim instead of another more advanced "Atlantic Fleet" style game, I was disappointed... Now i need more... more mods. more content. more, more, more!!
Hope that answers it.

Off topic: I strongly suggest watching MagzTV's playthroughts as he is a very genuine youtuber who ****ING LOVES to throw history in while doing long play through(s) of the game, and is the reason I bought it. Also check jingles "Casual Saturday" vids(Personally Jingles has fallen off my radar except for cold waters vids).

MagzTv first video:

Jingles first video:
stevieshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 04:37 PM   #12
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208

CW is very good lite modern sub sim. I got it about three weeks ago. After about 10-12 hours of playing, it is no longer challenging, even on the elite setting. I learned how to evade the hostile torpedoes practically every time and keep from being detected most of the time. Its a shame, because when it was challenging it was real blast and the graphics are really nice and immersive. Hopefully there will be some mods out there or DLCs which will give the game a lot more depth and not just harder. For instance, I would like to be able to just roam the seas in real time like the SH series until I detect a hostile on my own. Or maybe some aspect of the interior with crew members could be modeled or more complex TMA. Or perhaps be able to come close to the surface and send/receive radio communications which give new orders. I see how the developers introduced crew voices and some other additions after the games release which greatly added to the realism of the game. If they continue in this direction, they may very well surpass the achievements of the SH series. Of course, not everyone wants a hard core sim and maybe that should be considered.

My hat goes off to Killerfish for their great game and willingness to listen to us gamers.
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 07:19 PM   #13
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

The game was modeled after Red Storm Rising, not Silent Hunter and was advertised as such. It's reasonable that SH fans will not like the game as much as RSR fans.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 09:30 AM   #14
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
SHO

Its true though that the game ceases to be challenging after a while.

It needs to get more difficult, smarter AI, smarter AI evasion..

And it IS possible to just roam the seas and find bait without having to do missions - I made a mod for that.
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 10:37 PM   #15
Pluntfarb
Nub

Downloads: 7

Thanks all for the cogent responses, Looks like I'll be getting it. Happy Hunting.
Pluntfarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold waters, opinion, sims