SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-17, 07:56 AM   #1
jrolson
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Beta 1.08 Changelog

General
Kommunist Class merchant added
Mil Mi-14 (Haze) Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopter added
Haze helicopters added to land-based missions (Land Strike and Insertion)
Beriev Be-12 Chayka (Mail) Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) amphibious aircraft added
MK45, AT-1, AT-2, SET-40 torpedoes added
Vessel, aircraft, weapon references to textures and audio now check external folders (override/default)
TLAM cruise altitude set to 500 to aid with terrain avoidance
Unit Reference now has filters for global/nations as well as shortcuts to submarines, warships, biologic, aircraft and weapons

Combat
Weapons tab now displays number of wires used/available for your submarine
Recognition manual now displays submarine test depths
Recognition manual now has shortcuts to sub, warship and merchant classes
Recognition manual now has shortcut to own sub to allow viewing of own sub statistics along with weapons data
Different HUDs now load correctly without the need to return to main menu
Sonarman now calls out correct contact number when detecting transient from a known contact

Campaign
Land Strike missions no longer display or require a "target zone", just fire anywhere and the TLAM counts as away
Broken After Action Reports for Land Strike missions fixed
Noisemaker rearm at port uses the correct value in vessel txt file instead of 20

dictionary_interface.txt added new values for in game recognition manual:
FrequencyAbbreviatedVeryLow=VL
FrequencyAbbreviatedLow=L
FrequencyAbbreviatedMedium=M
FrequencyAbbreviatedHigh=H
ReferenceTestDepth=Test Depth
WIRES=WIRES

http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...2967807455160/

Last edited by jrolson; 09-14-17 at 08:03 AM.
jrolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 08:48 AM   #2
jack33
Seaman

Downloads: 252

Oh, no towed array,pity
jack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 09:01 AM   #3
MisterMannIndy
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
Oh, no towed array,pity
... but that's listed as a proposed feature request at the end of the steam posting.
MisterMannIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 09:21 AM   #4
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

The towed arrays are in the game and work properly. We just don't have a rendering solution for them and that's just a matter of eyecandy.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 10:15 AM   #5
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

No problem waiting for towed array animation for me. I assume when it is added, management of it will become a factor and as I recall from Dangerous Waters, it was a bit of a chore (though no complaint by me.)

I look forward to the wire count. Much needed and reasonable since the captain would have this information and it affects game play.

hmmm...
Mark 45 wire guided, non-homing 11 Kiloton nuclear anti-sub. I would not want to be at the end of the wire when it goes off or is this the non-nuclear, non-wire, non-homing version which is more similar to the mk16 in usage but with longer range? These ended service in 1976.
In practice, giving longer range than the M16 would be nice, firing at longer range with a totally unguided weapon seems a bit much to ask. I assume this is only available for the '68 campaign. Is the sensor threat that much reduced in that environment a non-guided weapon is viable?
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:11 PM   #6
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
Mark 45 wire guided, non-homing 11 Kiloton nuclear anti-sub. I would not want to be at the end of the wire when it goes off or is this the non-nuclear, non-wire, non-homing version which is more similar to the mk16 in usage but with longer range? These ended service in 1976.
In practice, giving longer range than the M16 would be nice, firing at longer range with a totally unguided weapon seems a bit much to ask. I assume this is only available for the '68 campaign. Is the sensor threat that much reduced in that environment a non-guided weapon is viable?
-Pv-
Close but not quite. As far as I know, the Mk 45 as it will be featured in this game will be a bit of a mockup. After they were done with service in the USN (mid-70s to early 80s when they would have left stockpiles) the Mk 45 was attempted to be marketed as the "Freedom torpedo" which would have used some type of conventional warhead coupled with a type of wake-homing guidance. Exactly how useful this would have been against other submarines is nil to debatable.

From what I recall the intention of bringing a non-nuclear MK 45 into Cold Waters is as a form of field-expedient modification to give players something more effective than the Mk 37 in the 68 era, I believe it will use a Mk 37 seeker (and possibly warhead) coupled to the Mk 45's electric propulsion (40 knot speed with 15,000 yard range).

Something else that had been discussed would be to feature the Mk 37C which was in development at the time and later went on to become the NT37 torpedo, many of which were exported. Mk 37C was basically a Mk 37 with the propulsion of a Mk 46 light-weight torpedo, giving it a 36 knot speed and extended range.
Old 09-13-17, 04:11 PM   #7
subunit
Watch

Downloads: 34

Do AI subs evade in the z-plane yet?
subunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 04:18 PM   #8
-Pv-
The Old Man

I do see them change depth sometimes, but not sure yet if it's evasion or something else.
-Pv-
Old 09-13-17, 05:48 PM   #9
nesbit
Watch

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
The towed arrays are in the game and work properly. We just don't have a rendering solution for them and that's just a matter of eyecandy.
I must be one of the few that don't care about this eye candy. I'd sooner have more variety in missions or some other strategic feature.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 08:17 PM   #10
-Pv-
The Old Man

I suspect we'll see more mission types when Allied ships get added by the devs.
-Pv-
Old 09-14-17, 10:51 AM   #11
Swordsman422
Watch

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolson View Post
General
Vessel, aircraft, weapon references to textures and audio now check external folders (override/default)

Awesome! Texture artists can do skin work now. I'm wondering when we'll see the early 688-class scheme; black above the waterline, red below, with a red bow sonar. Loud scheme, but cool looking.

I also saw a photo, I think on Navsource, of a Thresher/Permit in drydock with what looked like zinc chromate green below the waterline.
Swordsman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 12:11 AM   #12
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman422 View Post
Awesome! Texture artists can do skin work now. I'm wondering when we'll see the early 688-class scheme; black above the waterline, red below, with a red bow sonar. Loud scheme, but cool looking.

I also saw a photo, I think on Navsource, of a Thresher/Permit in drydock with what looked like zinc chromate green below the waterline.
From what I remember, the red bottom usually goes a grey-green after a period of time (seen a few pictures of some of the Med Boomers like that).

Speaking of Med Boomers, I'd love to see some of the 60s paint jobs with the horizontal surfaces of the sail and missile silo sides painted grey.