SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-19, 02:43 PM   #1
TS13
Seaman

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default RPM gauge?

Hello, captains!

Old SH3 player here. I wanted to get back to SH, and after some serious pondering I bought SH4+UBM (instead of SH5). Maybe I did well, maybe I didn't, but what is done is now done. (That's what I also say whenever I waste torpedoes in convoy attacks- which seems to happen to me a lot in SH4)

Anyway.

1) A question. Playing the stock version, I am trying to find the RPM gauge in the Command Room of my Porpoise, and for the life of me I can't. Anybody knows where it is? Is there even one? I want to be checking my engine's noise when I try to avoid destroyers.

2) A suggestion. My game (bought from Steam) came without the Pacific Map. I eventually found Captain Cox's map after some searching here, but it was buried in some thread. Maybe there should be a Resources section in the downloads with a trade route map (if there is, I didn't see it). I think it would help a lot of captains, as I saw other people searching for it too.

PS. A big thanks to all the wonderful captains who have uploaded manual targeting tutorials on youtube. I never played with manual targeting in SH3, but now I got it thanks to the tutorials, and am enjoying it greatly.
TS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-19, 09:05 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

OK, you're in your sub, just finished an night surface attack, only some DE decides to get in your way of escape, and you have to dive... You spawn into the USS Pollack (SS-180) control room and you get this:

Well, maybe without the artwork and text, but turn to your right so you're facing the back of the helmsman. Now look over his left shoulder:

If you can get him to move, there are four of them in a 2x2 grid, one for each engine / motor combo (the game does NOT model four engines, much less a separate rotation of the drive shafts... sigh). In this picture, notice that the gauge you can see reads a little above 12 O'Clock? We're at Ahead One Third on the surface, on diesel. Once we're under, let's slow it down some more by clicking on that little 'ribbed' area below the telemetry, and we get a "Knot Gauge".

Notice that the helmsman moved to the left, and we can now see the other rpm gauges? Since we've gotten under, the speed has naturally come down, but we want to be quieter. Click on that "Knots Gauge" dial there (circled), by the "1" for one knot speed. The boat will slow down even more, and notice what the rpm gauges have done, once the speed has been met?

Now you can click on Silent Running, and be super-stealthy... Well, except for that #2 shaft bearing and the oil cooler that's leaking... Now, some mods, like Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition allow free-roaming in the available rooms, and you can get this view:

One final note: There is a matching set of gauges up in the Conning Tower by the wheel...

Enjoy your SH4. I like it better than SH3, but that's just me (I just heard a chorus of "Sacrilege!!!"). Since you have Steam, what path did you install your SH4 to? ie: C:\Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ SteamApps \ Common \" is the default, but not the best for modding.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 03:13 AM   #3
TS13
Seaman

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Cpt Propbeanie, thank you for the detailed response, found them!

I installed SH4 in the default path. If I face problems at some point, I am going to move it. Thanks for the warning.

At this point I am only using the 3000 meter bearing plotter tool. Generally speaking, I am reluctant to use SH supermods, because they do not let me pick the changes that I want. I prefer smaller mods that do 1 change each, and I know exactly what has been changed.

(I am also sad to see that SH4 supermods are generally not compatible with each other. Which means that the modding community did/do not collaborate. What a pity.)

Anyway, I am still probably going to try some supermods in the future, especially if the German campaign is as barebones as I expect it to be (right now I am running the American campaign).
TS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 10:39 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You are welcome. The newer versions of Windows (Vista onward), and the fact that the SH series was made for the XP version, is the reason you would have to move your game's folder. About the most thorough discussion of doing that is found on the Steam Support site in Moving a Steam Installation and Games. You can also read through THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX, looking for >STEAM User Information notations.

The problem with individual mods is "compatibility", or rather, the lack thereof. One person whose mods generally work well together is Webster's. He also has a Game Fixes Only mod (GFO) that is nice. THEBERBSTER re-did that in his THEBERBSTEES All In One Beginners Mega Mod List For SH4 221117 mod, which allows quite a bit of "customization". The super mods, for the most part, are "blends" of smaller mods, put together by a team or individual such that the parts work together - at least, that's the intention. If you know what you're doing when you put individual mods together, that can be a nice way to get exactly what you want in the game. If you do your own mix and want to share the results, get the permission of the individual authors of the smaller mods, name your mix, zip it up into an archive, and release it for others to enjoy! Just be warned ahead of time, that there is a malady associated with this, and its acronym is CTD - not to be confused with Crash To Desktop, but rather, "Compulsive Tweaking Disorder". It is known to be contagious, and can lead to all sorts of associated maladies...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote