SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-13, 11:11 PM   #1
O_Smiladon
Mate

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default Developing a Battleship simulator

Hi All,

I am looking at developing a Battleship simulator and I am just testing the waters (excuse the pun) to see what reaction there is out there for such a simulator.

I have already been in touch with some people in regards to building such a simulator. I am waiting on more contact with them and discussions in regards to building and marketing such a Simulator

My vision is for something like SH5 were you can roam the ships decks and man different positions of the ship such as the helm, fire control right down to engine room management.

It would most likely start in the Atlantic seeing ships such as the Bismarck, Tirpitz, hood and more.

What do you all think?

I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject

Regards
O_Smiladon
Steve

Last edited by O_Smiladon; 09-09-13 at 06:53 PM.
O_Smiladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 12:20 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Playable surface ship mods are often the subject of inquiries in the SH4 mod section, so I imagine there would be significant interest.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 12:44 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Great interest! but save the roaming around programming and yourself a headache unless its for abandon ship to the life boat (and/or swimming); in a real battle ship of the modern era (Spanish American on up) there ain't lot of practical roaming around from an action station- too many hatches stairs, ladders and narrow companionways... unless of course your first person is the damage control officer; better to have a large number of INTERESTING stations and teleport, much as in Destroyer Command, only on detail STEROIDSl with a WASD ambulation within the venue that is teleported to. The ship's galley need not be one as in SH5. Good luck, I look forward to commanding any of the Cats at Jutland (misused by Beatty)and their role later in WWII!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 04:47 AM   #4
O_Smiladon
Mate

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your input

Regarding the walking around thing I would see the whole deck open to move around on thus pretty much the whole exterior of the ship So access to the bridge and all gun emplacements. At the sound of battle stations AI would man guns. You could then take over on whatever gun you like.

As for the interior of the ship just the main organs of the ship would be modeled. Engine room ,Fire control ,bridge, main gun turrets (this would include the manning positions) Captains quarters , and so forth . You will be able to teleport to each positions as well as getting there in first person so only main corridors would be modeled

Cheers guys

Steve
Old 09-06-13, 04:33 AM   #5
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

I'm envisioning some sort of free roam as in Ship Simulator on some of the larger vessels. A selection of cameras and stations for when you're busy doing stuff but a free roam for when it's all quiet and you want to take in a bit of eye candy etc...
Old 09-06-13, 04:16 PM   #6
O_Smiladon
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_magerius View Post
I'm envisioning some sort of free roam as in Ship Simulator on some of the larger vessels. A selection of cameras and stations for when you're busy doing stuff but a free roam for when it's all quiet and you want to take in a bit of eye candy etc...

Mate you have pretty much hit the nail on teh head with that one.

I was watchintg a bit of you tube last night on Carrier task force's

The Computer generated Nimitz Class Carrier looked really good, also they showed us how the USS George Bush was built in modula form

This gave me and idea, why the hell cant we build a compartment one by one then put em all together when finished.

I hope to here back in a week or two to see if this thing is gonna get off the ground finger crossed.

Any how guys fingers crossed . Also being thinking about if my backer does not come through maybe kickstarter and let the world deciced.

But if any of you guy have any ideas or suggestions please put them down..as knowlage is power

S!
O_Smialdon

O_Smiladon
Old 09-09-13, 05:03 PM   #7
O_Smiladon
Mate

Hi guys,

Back again, just an update to let you know were I am at.

I have just got a hold of some cool 3D models of Yamato and Bismarck. These will be used in my presentation to my backers.

I intend to make a tailer showing the Bismarck coming out of the fog (well my prospective backer is German after all) with the camera view flying down the length of the ship. Then that oh so cool shot of the front of the ship which gives you the scene of power these things had.

Also I have nearly finished a proto type of the box artwork, So when that’s done I will post it for you all to have a look and comment at.

Regards
O_Smiladon
Old 09-10-13, 06:18 AM   #8
O_Smiladon
Mate

Ok i have got some stuff to show you..

Box art, and a shot of a ship in a programme to make a promo vid..which is very WIP still working the ins and outs of the programme and the ship is not the one i will be using.. But it gives you a idea on what i am trying to do.

So Now you can see the Name "Capital Ships"

What Ya Think?

O_Smiladon
Old 09-10-13, 10:50 PM   #9
O_Smiladon
Mate

Hmm seems not to many people keen on my idea

Well at least the kIWI'S can give it to the Yanks in a yacht race..

Go Team New Zealand lets bring the cup home To Auckland and show the world that a little country down in the bottom of the world can shove it up the big spenders and show offs that is Oracle

they dont even want to race us after we kicked there butt on race 5..

Go the Kiwi's

O_Smiladon
Old 09-11-13, 03:54 AM   #10
RedChico
Mate

Downloads: 5

I´m here and i'm worth 100 ppl.
Some years ago tried to do the same... but i lack suficient knowledge to do it.

So, what kind of game mechanics do you have in mind for:

-Damage
-Damage control
-Ship physics
-Ballistics

In my opinion free roaming should be substituted with a TRUE dynamic campaign, something like the old Red Storm Rising sub game, where missions were generated according to the ground war evolution.

\"You are my adversary, but you are not my enemy. For your resistence gives me strength, your will gives me courage, your spirit enobles me. And though I aim to defeat you, should I succeed I will not humiliate you. Instead I will honor you, for without you I am a lesser man. \"
RedChico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 04:24 AM   #11
O_Smiladon
Mate

Hi Red,

Thanks for the post

To be honest I have not had that conversation yet need to get the funding so I can hire someone with that type nouse.

I hope to employ around 3-4 good PC people,

Once we have that then the road plane will be laid down , the web site will go up and BOOM! away we go!

I will post another pic just to get the juices flowing

This is not my ship its a screenshot of the Mighty MO from a cool s/saver.

But this is the look I am going for.

O_Smiladon
Old 09-11-13, 07:14 AM   #12
RedChico
Mate

Downloads: 5

Another thing:

-True 3D environment (like Outerra)

Because i'm tired of seeing 2D world maps, not very accurate and not 1:1 scale, with 2D local maps (ex.: Silent hunter series).

Also... a career mode..... something like the old Great Naval Battles in North Atlantic game.

\"You are my adversary, but you are not my enemy. For your resistence gives me strength, your will gives me courage, your spirit enobles me. And though I aim to defeat you, should I succeed I will not humiliate you. Instead I will honor you, for without you I am a lesser man. \"
RedChico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 12:12 PM   #13
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

You should try to develop at least a demo, and maybe submit it to Steams Greenlight program?

Your premise is solid.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 02:56 PM   #14
O_Smiladon
Mate

S!

Thanks Red will check it out.

soopaman great idea and really worth having a look into.

Anyway back top the grind

OOoooh look I am popeye lol

O_Smiladon
Old 09-12-13, 12:20 PM   #15
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

count me in. dont see any other battleship simulators out there!
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote