SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-11, 07:44 AM   #1
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Floating Oil-Rigs and SoS Signal mod v1.2

Floating Oil-Rigs and SoS Signal mod v1.2 (updated for use with Reinforce Alert mod v1.31B)

I decided to finally update my mod to make it compatible with Reinforce Alert mod v1.31B

**Reinforce Alert mod v1.31B is required to use this mod**

From the readme file:

This mod makes oil-rig platforms in Dangerous Waters targetable and destructible with torpedoes and ASCM/SSM missiles. Even AI units will now attack them with the appropriate torpedo or missile. This was done by changing the model to a surface ship instead of static. They will float like a ship now. In real life, many oil-rig platforms actually do float and are anchored to the sea floor with thick cables. In the game, once the oil rig is destroyed, it will sink. Hopefully this realistically models a semi-submersible floating oil-rig platform. When identifying oil-rigs on the game map, you must classify them as surface contacts (ships) to be able to target them with topedoes or missiles. Your auto-crew will also eventually classify them as surface contacts on the map. But remember their speed will be zero, and they will give off a unique audio sound. Please note that wake-homing torpedoes will not strike floating oil-rigs. AI units may launch wake-homing torpedoes against oil rigs because they are now classified as ships, but they will just circle the rig without hitting it because the rigs are stationary.

When placing floating oil-rigs in custom scenarios, be sure to surround them with a wind and water region with knot speeds set to zero so they won't drift due to currents or wind.

Please note: Special-Ops forces in inflatable boats can and will attack these new floating oil-rigs.

This mod also adds a custom sound file and sound profile to oil-rigs so they can be detected underwater at long distances. Maximum detectable distance of oil rigs underwater (in ideal conditions) is now about 12 miles for a 688i's spherical passive sonar. I suppose in real life they make a hell of a lot of underwater noise. This has been modeled. I have included a sound sample to help identify the sound they make underwater.

TLAM missiles will still not target floating oil-rigs in this mod.

Also included is a sound mod I created which makes downed pilots give off both a special underwater vibration SoS distress signal and an audio SoS distress signal, both for use in high-risk situations. The underwater SoS vibration signal can be detected with a spherical submarine passive sonar array at maximum range of about 5 miles under ideal conditions (depending on the submarine equipment). This signal will show as a single line on the passive sonar waterfall display. The underwater audio SoS signal can be heard at a range of about 1 mile under ideal conditions. Both signals are only detectable with passive sonar detection equipment.

I have also included 2 single-player missions I designed to demonstrate this mod's new features: the first one is called Texas Tea, and it models a Cuban-purchased Chinese Kilo sub that must sink several American oil rig platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. I suppose it's a fairly hard mission. I have included lots of random starting boxes and random inclusion chances for units to add to replayability. The second is a mission called Fortune Cookie, in which a downed Japanese Self-Defense Force pilot must be located and rescued inside Chinese territorial waters. I have also included a custom beeping notification sound in both missions that notifies the player when there is an event message. If one of the enemy Chinese units randomly comes to within a range of about 3/4 mile or less of the downed pilot's raft, the downed pilot will be spotted and captured. The mission cannot be completed if this happens. This is also a fairly hard mission, as it might take quite some time to find the downed pilot while trying to remain undetected. This mission also has many random boxes to help increase replayability.

I have included 3 sample .wav files to give you an idea of what to listen for.

Enjoy!

Mod created by Traveller, aka Drifter

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?z3rqn6xj0a4xd8k

Last edited by Traveller; 04-24-11 at 10:20 AM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 12:27 PM   #2
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

So....just create a folder in MODS to use this with JSGME, and enable after RA?