SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-18, 05:27 PM   #1
Reds
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Killerfish Feedback: Failing Missions While Repairing In Port

Hello!

First of all I'd like to thank you guys for such a fun and engaging game. You certainly deserve all the praise you're getting

I just wanted to tell that it is very annoying to get a misson when arriving at the port to repair the ship but failing because the repairs took too long.

Just a few minutes ago, this happened: I received orders to go back to base as I was running out of torpedoes and had hull damage and went in for repairs. The high command, in their infinite wisdom, tasked me, a sub in port with 30% hull integrity and no loaded armament, with defending a carrier battle group up the Norwegian coast. The carrier was sunk before I could even leave the port. Surely there must have been another sub in the whole North Atlantic for such an important mission

This happens frequently in the campaign, and it is frustrating to fail missions this way.

Receiving the missions after the ship is repaired/rearmed would fix this. Or the missions received when arriving at port could have a much longer timeout.

Again, thank you for such an awesome game. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Reds; 01-16-18 at 10:26 PM.
Reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 07:33 PM   #2
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

yeah, the commodore of your sub squadron would know if you're sub isn't available right away. Maybe you could at least have the option to suspend or rush the repairs so you can put to sea early. It is a shame when you miss a mission like that, those are often high value targets worth a lot of tonnage.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:12 PM   #3
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Risk reward system would be good to implement. Say 50% if you rush repairs whether the boat springs a leak on your return to sea.

That said, I'm pretty sure this has been debated/talked about in the past and KFG have chimed in on it.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:34 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Your commander in chief doesn't care if you are in port, but he'll care about the target not destroyed in the given timeline. Go play Jane's 688i, if I'm not wrong there is an angry looking chief-commander who shouts at you for 1 minute, you wished you were not there...
(I think I get this vid in CW as a mod for more immersion...)

Missions have a fixed timeline. If it's over you fail mission. Simple. It's your job to synch it well and this makes it more challenging IMO.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:43 PM   #5
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

yeah, but usually a sub squadron would have more then one sub available for tasking.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 10:07 PM   #6
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Would be nice to hear about other subs when in port. Just for the immersion. OR, to get revenge on a TF that caused a US sub to limp away.

"Way to go Dallas!!"
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 01:33 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Reds!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-18, 02:45 PM   #8
seawolfaimer
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2
Default frustrating

Got to say this must be a glitch surely? Nobody would order a submarine onto a mission when it is entering a refit. Killerfish need to look at this and sort it out.
seawolfaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-18, 02:51 PM   #9
Delgard
Skipper

It does push the commander to do more with assets and tactics, but not unduly.
Old 04-08-18, 08:02 AM   #10
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

It just adds to the overall feeling of being the only allied sub in the war. I'd love to see reports from other subs and more intelligent mission assignments.

It doesn't seem to make sense to send a sub to Iceland then to the Barents and back to Iceland again over the period of a week or 2.
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 10:42 AM   #11
Delgard
Skipper

I would say, "yes, it would be nice to hear more traffic", but I deploy with my Chihuahua. We make decisions together.