SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-17, 06:11 PM   #4861
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I don't understand the problem....there isn't any as I see. I suggest you have an issue that's self inflicted. Either with your game having "mod soup", your stock game is corrupted, or with the "Realism" settings you MAY be using. If you've got your "Realism" settings at a level that changes the behavior of the game....what do you expect to happen?[/QUOTE]

There is no problem. It was the Torpedo Attack EZ, I re-ran it and no problem . So, I don't understand that either. So, I'll do three laps around the boat deck (surfaced of course) and let you have my ice cream allotment tonight.
Old 07-03-17, 06:36 PM   #4862
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

Question:

Someone tried Real Environment in FOTRSU? I'm trying it and it seems to work well (AI, nights, etc.).

Thoughts?

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 09:12 PM   #4863
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Now running V 0.62 and submerged quiet I am hearing whale song for the first time that I can remember. Is that an Easter Egg added by the mod devs? I don't remember ever hearing this before in SH4. Is it new or have I just not been paying close enough attention?
That is actually that "sweet little duckling" singing to you from the broiler... There are other treats to come yet also. That particular one is courtesy of CapnScurvy's hand. - How much Morse Code do you know?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
There is no problem. It was the Torpedo Attack EZ, I re-ran it and no problem . So, I don't understand that either. So, I'll do three laps around the boat deck (surfaced of course) and let you have my ice cream allotment tonight.
Apparently, the submarine is set to -15 in the EZ, and is supposed to be -18 in the difficult... The idea being that you might lose a lock in the "Difficult" version being slightly deeper if the water gets rough, there's other "armed" distractions, the CA travels faster, and the CA crew is supposed to be Elite, but it looks like all I've got them at now is "Veteran"... You didn't get shot at CapnScurvy?... They shot at my scope the last time I did it... 'Course, that might be why I dialed their "efficiency" back a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Question: Someone tried Real Environment in FOTRSU? I'm trying it and it seems to work well (AI, nights, etc.).

Thoughts?
We haven't heard anybody trying it yet, but there are a lot of things tied to the environment... Did you try it? Have you performed any "scientific testing" yet?... We'll need hours worth, of course...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 05:14 AM   #4864
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
I don't understand the problem....there isn't any as I see. I suggest you have an issue that's self inflicted. Either with your game having "mod soup", your stock game is corrupted, or with the "Realism" settings you MAY be using. If you've got your "Realism" settings at a level that changes the behavior of the game....what do you expect to happen?
For the most part you all are correct - raising the scope or changing the depth to somewhere around 53 feet (GAR Class) in rougher waters and/or low light does improve the ability to lock on a target. But not always. As I've said before, I have seen where I can lock on to a target over 2,000 yards out, but NOT lock on to one only 600 yards away, all in the same scope sweep.

That said, my last patrol (5th in a GAR out of Midway in Area Abolish in May 1942) every ship I encountered was "markable", even at ranges exceeding 7,000 years (very clear conditions). So maybe the Mogami at 600 yards was an anomaly, or my vision is such that in the lighting I missed seeing the target indicating caret - a distinct possibility now that I think about it!

Release 0.62 is the best so far. Ambient sounds are varied (they don't get old), the visuals are right, and the gameplay is enough for me to enjoy at my level of play. Thanks, guys.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 07:31 AM   #4865
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Too Propbeanie and torpedobait, the height of the periscope is exactly what I experienced, without realizing it. For first time in all the years (but not decades) that I've played Sh4 I finally encountered the strike force on May 6 in Coral Sea. The Mogami passed within 1000 yds astern and I kept losing the lock at P-depth with scope fully raised, but had the lock in the three CVs at 3800 yds. If I raised the boat some more I was able to re-lock. BTW, the Mogami never fired on me(!) at this close range, so I sank it with 1 hit to its screws. Also got the Shokaku. Thank you FotRS-U
Old 07-04-17, 07:44 AM   #4866
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Regarding the difference between "Torpedo Attack EZ" and "Torpedo Attack Difficult" in the Fotrs Ultimate Sub School:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
.......there's other "armed" distractions, the CA travels faster, and the CA crew is supposed to be Elite, but it looks like all I've got them at now is "Veteran"... You didn't get shot at CapnScurvy?... They shot at my scope the last time I did it..
No I wasn't shot at. I did have those Sampans move in front of me at the most critical time of firing.

===========

It's important to keep in mind that the subs will need to have their periscope height readjusted for the weather conditions topside. The preset Periscope Height is different on each sub class, only one figure is used per class. This makes things difficult to adjust when you have 4 different "sea states" (wind speeds) that the game uses. Calm is 0 wind speed, 5mph, 10mph, 15mph Gale force conditions. The subs are set to preform reasonably well with zero and 5mph conditions, but you'll need to readjust your periscope depth at 10 and 15mph wind speeds. Especially when you start factoring in the various conning tower versions. Some are taller than others, putting the fully extended scope at different levels as well. Just readjust your depth accordingly. Don't rely on one button push to put your sub into the best possible depth for all conditions.

Same is true of the Radar Depth. You may find your Radar will turn on/off by itself in adverse sea state conditions. Going to a shallower depth will stop this.

Don't forget to use your "Weather Report" capability to know what your Sea State is......Zero or 5mph you're fairly calm, probably can use the preset depths without issue.....10 to 15mph, plan on making adjustments.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 07:54 AM   #4867
propbeanie

... another thing about it torpedobait, is the "zoom" level. If you're zoomed in, and can't see the whole vessel, say you're looking at the bow and wanting to "mark" for a bow shot - you'll not see the "lock caret" at all from 600 yards, it'll be "off-screen", "stage left, even" and out of your Field Of View. Is that maybe a contributing factor?

btw, is anyone doing an Alaskan campaign?...
Has anyone been running through cdrsubron7's Single Missions (and getting sunk... )

Old 07-04-17, 10:35 AM   #4868
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
When using the stadimeter is there what I would call a ‘sweet spot’.

With regards to the periscopes vertical lines and bringing down the stadimeter to the top of the targets mast how can I find better range accuracy?
The attack map nearly always show that I am short on range and I have identified the target.

I am using the same principal as in SH5 by putting the Periscope line on the targets hull and stadimeter hull to the targets top of the mast.

Is it better to do this with no periscope magnification or, more accurate with full magnification.

While I can get the correct range after a few attempts I would like to know if there is a more reliable way.

1. Correct positioning of Periscopes vertical lines.
2. Ccorrect positioning of stadimeter to target.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 03:32 PM   #4869
THEBERBSTER

Hi guys
Running version 61.
Have notice with the last 2 ships sunk that the fires do not remain with the ship as can be seen in the picture.

Peter
Old 07-05-17, 01:53 AM   #4870
propbeanie

Looks great, don't it?... - you hit one of the fuel bunkers, and it ignited! Floating, burning fuel oil.

I'm surprised no one has come along about your post above that... I don't use the stadimeter myself (I go cross-eyed with it for some reason), and just do the 90 when doing manual, and even at that, I'm not very "scientific" about it, so I can't help with manual targeting at all.

Old 07-05-17, 04:01 AM   #4871
THEBERBSTER

Hi pb
Good to know the fires are not a bug.
I do not like a game that is too easy, the stadimeter adds that difficulty level for me especially when taking on multiple targets.
I would just like to be more accurate the first time on each ship.
Peter
Old 07-05-17, 07:31 AM   #4872
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Guys
When using the stadimeter is there what I would call a ‘sweet spot’.

With regards to the periscopes vertical lines and bringing down the stadimeter to the top of the targets mast how can I find better range accuracy?
The attack map nearly always show that I am short on range and I have identified the target.

I am using the same principal as in SH5 by putting the Periscope line on the targets hull and stadimeter hull to the targets top of the mast.

Is it better to do this with no periscope magnification or, more accurate with full magnification.

While I can get the correct range after a few attempts I would like to know if there is a more reliable way.

1. Correct positioning of Periscopes vertical lines.
2. Ccorrect positioning of stadimeter to target.
Peter
Sorry for not reading this earlier, I was playing "plummer" yesterday on a Holiday!!

The accuracy of the Stadimeter in the stock game, and Fotrs Ultimate, is simply awful! I'll not sugar coat it, there are specific reasons for this inaccuracy, which can be corrected but haven't been touched by me.

If anyone knows my "modding history", this very issue of inaccurate range finding has been my focus. Going back to June, 2007 I released my first efforts called "Imperial Range Correction". It describes the issue and why a correction needs to be made. Since then, "Ship Centered Accuracy Fix" (SCAF) was made, and "Optical Targeting Correction" (OTC) followed. Each building on the other, each addressing the issue of inaccurate range finding.

The cause is two fold. You have inaccurate "optics" that don't allow a yard to measure a yard, and you have Mast "Height" measurements that aren't even close to measuring accurately. A double whammy that puts the manual targeting process into the only way possible of getting hits.......you get close, you fire at a 90 degree angle, you get lucky.

For those of us who have seen this discrepancy between a Stadimeter found range and one determined from measurements on the Navigation Map, or from using active Sonar (yes, Sonar will give you an accurate measurement of range...nuts on, to the yard, accurate range?!) its due to poor optics, and wrong "Height" measurements used to calculate a found Stadimeter range.

One of these has been corrected in Fotrs Ultimate, the "Optics". It will now read accurately a yard at 1000 yards distance...as it should with an authentic periscope, TBT view. The other has not been addressed by me. There are folks that think "shooting into the dark" is appropriate in submarine warfare.....if so, then have at it. When the Hiryu CV gives a Stadimeter range finding of 500 yards, yet it's actually at 1100 yards distance.......get close, get lucky.

Peter, to be specific in answering your questions, there is no amount of adjustments a player can do to get an accurate Stadimeter range finding. Inaccuracy is designed into the game (I believe inadvertently) beyond reality. Reality would have been for the first Submarine Captain to have thrown the Recognition Manual to the fishes, come up with his own measurements, then passed them along to his fellow Captain's so they wouldn't make the same mistake as he! Some would rather think, we should accept inaccuracy, and be stuck in a 4 year war making the same error over and over again.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 09:29 AM   #4873
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

For me, OTC is one of the most interesting works for SH4.
For a player with manual target solution, this great correction by CapnScurvy is actually indispensable.
I myself would not want to play without OTC...

Old 07-05-17, 09:43 AM   #4874
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... another thing about it torpedobait, is the "zoom" level. If you're zoomed in, and can't see the whole vessel, say you're looking at the bow and wanting to "mark" for a bow shot - you'll not see the "lock caret" at all from 600 yards, it'll be "off-screen", "stage left, even" and out of your Field Of View. Is that maybe a contributing factor?

btw, is anyone doing an Alaskan campaign?...
Has anyone been running through cdrsubron7's Single Missions (and getting sunk... )
I know what you mean about the zoom in. This time I was not zooming. I'll bet the mark was there but hard to distinguish in the light, or sea conditions, or background. It is working fine now that I look harder for it, and make sure the scope is high enough. Thanks!

Have not tried the Alaskan campaign. Maybe after I finish this one.

I did find that forgetting to turn on the SD radar will get you sunk if two Zeros pop up seemingly out of nowhere! By the time the crew saw them it was too late to dive and too late to man the AA gun. Alas! Another career down the tubes, so to speak.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 10:32 AM   #4875
THEBERBSTER

Hi CS
No need to apologize.
I know with this thread the response time is very good and I am sure we all appreciate getting are questions answered as quickly as possible.

I thank you for your very in depth reply and at least it is gratifying to know that my problem is not one of my own making.

I notice that Bleiente has a high regard for OTC.
Is OTC something that might be considered for FOTRSU?
Peter