SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-10, 06:40 PM   #5611
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

SH5 was a failure though :/ they should reconsider and finish GWX4

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 08:53 PM   #5612
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

They disbanded one year ago today, and I do not think the desire is there to start it up again.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 08:57 PM   #5613
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
They disbanded one year ago today, and I do not think the desire is there to start it up again.
Taking a good look at SH5 should be enough.

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 06:13 AM   #5614
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stathis View Post
hello everybody,didn t had time to read all pages but i have a question.
Why GWX 4 didnt released,i saw videos on youtube and i really liked it,SH5 is damn not good,even the speech is like robots talking,the beginning is terrible,just out of the blue an allied merchant shows up and the periscope is up on surface......You cant manage your crew except from the officers,its s..t arcade.....the dynamics of the submarine are not real,the only think i like is the water.

I am military justice officer in Greek navy,regards to all subsimmers
Thank u
Welcome aboard Kaleun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwieger View Post
Taking a good look at SH5 should be enough.
There are still a few Grey Wolves working on SH5 but it is early days:

http://marblecake.proboards.com/index.cgi

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 02:49 PM   #5615
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

I understand they felt GWX for SH4 was going to be a huge waste of time, after all SH5, from the get go was going to be EPIC! and they felt it would be a huge WASTE.. Why build a Mustang for us, when were all getting a Lamborghini!

The fact is, they should of waited for SH5 to come out.. Maybe not dedicate much time to SH4 GWX (which I don't even play, but have and know the potential) but just keep it open for options..

I feel bad they left and decided to NEVER again do any GWX (which is weird as it was just a hobby and something to help us all out)

I wonder how they feel now after knowing SH5 is a DISASTER of a game, and SH4 GWX we could only imagine how great it could of been.

With all that, I lost my SH4 disc somewhere during a couple moves.. I would rather get it "other ways" and give them the 20 or 30 bucks.

It doesn't pay bills, but maybe show them the appreciation we all have. Even if it takes YEARS to come out, who cares, I am sure we will all wait

Oh well, its a shame, but its still kinda wierd
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 02:54 PM   #5616
Draka
Lieutenant

Downloads: 322

It's not weird - it's called "burn-out". Even and especially for a hobby, many of them put in WAAAAY too many hours and MUCH hard work - they just called it quits out of sheer exhaustion. I greatly applaud the work they have done, and after a while to recuperate some of them may return - but I fear not as the focussed, dedicated organization they were. As times go on, things change - and the "Grey Wolves" have left a very large legacy behind them.
Draka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 03:09 PM   #5617
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka View Post
It's not weird - it's called "burn-out". Even and especially for a hobby, many of them put in WAAAAY too many hours and MUCH hard work - they just called it quits out of sheer exhaustion. I greatly applaud the work they have done, and after a while to recuperate some of them may return - but I fear not as the focussed, dedicated organization they were. As times go on, things change - and the "Grey Wolves" have left a very large legacy behind them.

But almost anything you "burn out" from you get back into it.. I love Jiu-Jitsu and very often get burnt out from it.. So I stop for a while, but since its something I love to do, I always return to it.. Shoot, I just started to build model planes again and haven't since I was a kid.. I think we can all name about a hundred hobbies we all love and hate at the same time

Its just at the end of the day, we do it and continue to do it because WE LOVE IT.. Unless they were really miserable and hated doing it, I cannot see never going back to it.

This doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they have done! I am a huge fan of GWX, I just don't buy the statement that they will NEVER do another GWX mod again.. Unless as I said, they don't like doing it.

fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 03:24 PM   #5618
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed View Post
I understand they felt GWX for SH4 was going to be a huge waste of time, after all SH5, from the get go was going to be EPIC! and they felt it would be a huge WASTE.. Why build a Mustang for us, when were all getting a Lamborghini!

The fact is, they should of waited for SH5 to come out.. Maybe not dedicate much time to SH4 GWX (which I don't even play, but have and know the potential) but just keep it open for options..

I feel bad they left and decided to NEVER again do any GWX (which is weird as it was just a hobby and something to help us all out)

I wonder how they feel now after knowing SH5 is a DISASTER of a game, and SH4 GWX we could only imagine how great it could of been.

With all that, I lost my SH4 disc somewhere during a couple moves.. I would rather get it "other ways" and give them the 20 or 30 bucks.

It doesn't pay bills, but maybe show them the appreciation we all have. Even if it takes YEARS to come out, who cares, I am sure we will all wait

Oh well, its a shame, but its still kinda wierd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka View Post
Quote:
But almost anything you "burn out" from you get back into it.. I love Jiu-Jitsu and very often get burnt out from it.. So I stop for a while, but since its something I love to do, I always return to it.. Shoot, I just started to build model planes again and haven't since I was a kid.. I think we can all name about a hundred hobbies we all love and hate at the same time

Its just at the end of the day, we do it and continue to do it because WE LOVE IT.. Unless they were really miserable and hated doing it, I cannot see never going back to it.

This doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they have done! I am a huge fan of GWX, I just don't buy the statement that they will NEVER do another GWX mod again.. Unless as I said, they don't like doing it.

There were quite a few reasons The Grey Wolves eventually decided to call it a day.....reasons I'm not prepared to go into publicly because some were of a personal nature and some even life changing.

The post/announcement made by Kpt Lehmann is very accurate but as I posted earlier, there are a few of us still modding SH3 and V but not in such an expansive or organised way.

I'm sincerely hoping to see a mod group form and tackle the job of improving SHV.....I just can't see it happening in the nearby future until an announcement from Ubisoft is released regarding the topic of future game patches.

Old 09-12-10, 07:41 PM   #5619
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I just don't buy the statement that they will NEVER do another GWX mod again.. Unless as I said, they don't like doing it.
I don't believe anyone is trying to 'sell' the thought to you.
Sure We love to mod the SH series of Games.
Some of us still do in many ways.
But many are burned out on any major work.
We enjoy the small things now.
Even the kinda big small things.
And We have no time tables to meet.
That's the best part!
Old 09-14-10, 05:46 AM   #5620
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
And We have no time tables to meet.
That's the best part!
Undoubtedly so

Old 09-14-10, 10:33 AM   #5621
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed
I(which is weird as it was just a hobby and something to help us all out)
When one person does it, it's just a hobby, which is why many of them are still doing it.

When a team is organized, it becomes...well, an organization, with all the dynamics that entails. Someone has to be in charge, which means he has all the headaches that go with management. The people who were doing what they wanted for fun are now assigned to do certain jobs they may not like so much. Somebody has to test it, which doesn't mean playing the game for fun, but playing the same scenario over, and over, and over. And when it doesn't work properly the manager has to tell the person who made that part, and he has to drop whatever he's doing now so he can go back and try to make it right. Once he's satisfied he has to send it back to the testers, who have to play it over, and over, and over again. And if it's right this time it then has to be sent to the guy who will combine it with other mods so he can send it back to the testers to make sure they work together.

In short, what was a hobby is now a job. A job involving long hours of overtime for exactly no pay. The only reward is the high praise of the people it was done for, and the risk is that you will spend the next several years fielding the complaints of people who found mistakes the testers missed, or just complaints from people who wish you had done it differently.

SH4 already has a great supermod start in OM. What it needs now isn't GWX. What it needs now is all the great SH3 mods that have come out since GWX, including the best of LSH3 and WAC. But the people who are still modding SH3 aren't interested in SH4. Too bad from my point of view, but it's their business, not mine.

If you really want SH4 to improve, start learning.
Old 09-16-10, 04:12 PM   #5622
digglyda
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default GWX 3.0 on Disk?

Gentlemen, I had GWX 3 installed and running on system (though I rarely played it!) and recently had a serious system crash.
I need to re-install SH3 & GWX (as I plan to actually make time to play them) but I just cannot face downloading all the required files again.
Is it still possible to obtain the GWX 3.0 on disk?
I didn't want to start sending pm's to the team members if the team is now out of action or unavailable.
Thanks for any suggestions.
digglyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 08:25 PM   #5623
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by digglyda View Post
Is it still possible to obtain the GWX 3.0 on disk?
It's been known to happen.

Post your location, someone may be able to pop one in the mail for you.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 08:45 AM   #5624
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Downloads

Have not heard that a CD is available. But, in the time you've spent waiting for a reply, you could have had them downloaded, installed, modded, and been off on your first patrol!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 10:47 AM   #5625
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

@digglyda

Are you within the UK if so PM me your address, I recently did the same for a fellow UK shipmate.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote