SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-15, 03:25 AM   #1246
moha14881
Loader

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 0

nice job. Only drawback I experienced was the non updating of the sound library with sound mods resulting in a silent 3"50 deck gun.

Last edited by moha14881; 12-10-15 at 03:42 AM.
moha14881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 10:41 AM   #1247
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw View Post
..... I insisted we have an option for putting some of the auto plotting back in as, to me, that was MORE realistic.
Read the following links. Although it's from a 1952 manual, the procedure it describes is the same as what was used by WWII skippers. Just keep in mind, each CO put their own twist on this.

Torpedo Fire Control Party
http://www.maritime.org/doc/attack/index.htm#chap04

Duties of the Fire Contro party
http://www.maritime.org/doc/attack/index.htm#chap05
This is what I've maintained all along, Thank You for these swdw.

Happy Hunting!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 06:05 AM   #1248
moha14881
Loader

Downloads: 264

What's auto plotting?? Is this the map contacts??? Again, how to model this in-game? Besides I love to find the firing solution totally from the optics. Is there any effective method to this???? The sound library is persistent and resilient to modding. So, Are there any efficient solutions to this????

Last edited by moha14881; 12-12-15 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
moha14881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 11:15 AM   #1249
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

What's referred to as auto plotting is map contacts.

With RFB 2.0 the plotting system was retained as stock. But at the point where you zoom in close enough to get ship silhouettes, those were deleted. The effect is that at lower magnification you get the box and motion vector as usual. But zoom in one step too far and the ship contact vanishes altogether. This is analogous to saying that if you step too close to the plotting table everything plotted on it vanishes.

Like swdw I found this unacceptable. Especially for a sub with radar, all points of contact would have been plotted to an accuracy of about 30 feet anyway--plenty close enough to hit them. RFB was putting a bag over our head and pretending to be "real." I assure you no submarine personnel ever conducted the war with a paper bag over their head.

We're still left with the standard plotting system showing ship silhouettes (you can ID ships by that very easily and of course that didn't happen very often in the war), and all that text showing course and speed.

There are alternatives. In my signature you can see links to my mods EZPlot 2.0 and TMOPlot. EZPlot 2.0 returns any game configuration to the original stock plotting system without changing any other game settings. TMOPlot isn't quite to the standards of my Universal Plugin Mods yet, but it will change the RFB plotting system to the original TMO Plotting system, where there is no descriptive text or velocity vector and the position is plotted by a dot only.

My personal choice is TMOPlot. But my other personal choice is not to force users into using anything but their choice of plotting system. So you can choose: original or TMO plotting system, by installing the plotting mod after RFB. Choices are good!

I also think a proper supermod should have a set of plugins for enemy AI settings: super-tough, tough, slighly amped and stock. How about corrected optics without recognition manual changes? How about CapnScurvy's perfect recognition manual as a separate mod for those who want to use it? How about CapnScurvy's great set of gauges that get bigger than stock but which also have a lubber's line on the compass so you can actually read your course from the compass (what a thought! Amazing what technology can do.). I can envision a supermod that includes a host of plugins so that players can mold the mod to their thinking of how the game should be played. This concept sure goes against the artist mentality of your typical top-tier modder though, who mods because he wants to mold the game to his vision. I understand that and although I pushed the idea when the mods were produced, I realized that pushing too hard would not be received well. Modders are artists first and have the proprietary interest of an artist. No voting on what they do!

When Ducimus let people influence his vision of TMO that was the beginning of the downward slide in quality and coherence within the mod as he bowed to popular demand when that wasn't appropriate to the mod. Modders need vision to get the job done and popular opinion is no substitute for vision.

So the whole thing is to some degree self-contradictory. That's why I say leave the modders alone and have separate people develop the Certified Universal Mod Plugins. The rule is that other than the stated function of the plugin, no other changes to the supermod are permitted. That keeps the mod itself focused and the plugins also available. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can come up with.

My other idea would step on the toes of modders altogether, and I proposed this also. That would be that if you make a mod, a campaign mod, call it RSRDC just to pick a random set of letters, your mod should be only changing the enemy campaign: placement and movement of enemy shipping. Add ship types if you want, but NO OTHER GAMEPLAY CHANGES AT ALL would be permitted. Released as "compatible," RSRDC in fact, tromps all over RFB and TMO gameplay, actually destroying the carefully adjusted gameplay of both in adding a "realistic campaign." Why the RFB Team and Ducimus were not up in arms about the destruction is a question I can't begin to answer, but I sure can bring it up now.

When you add RSRDC to RFB you are no longer playing RFB. You are playing RSRDC, plain and simple. You're installing a supermod over a supermod. The curious word "compatible" merely means that your game won't crash when you do such a thing.

Off my soapbox. I've said enough to make people mad.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-12-15 at 11:41 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-15, 09:11 AM   #1250
nugetx
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Hello, anyone knows which files i should copy to have only damage model and sinking from this mod ?
nugetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-15, 01:49 PM   #1251
Sardaukar67
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 47

Does anyone have plans to improve this mod? Been long time.
Sardaukar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-15, 05:26 PM   #1252
Tigershark624
A-ganger

Downloads: 134

I'd also like to see CapnScurvy's recognition manual make it into RFB, or at least an updated version of FooFighter's enhanced manual. If neither of those, at least one that lists ship's lengths, as I use that data for speed calculation.
Tigershark624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 05:18 PM   #1253
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark624 View Post
I'd also like to see CapnScurvy's recognition manual make it into RFB, or at least an updated version of FooFighter's enhanced manual. If neither of those, at least one that lists ship's lengths, as I use that data for speed calculation.
And that's another way to turn a Sub simulation into an arcade game. I'd like to go the other way: have a recognition manual that didn't include every ship in the known universe, one that had lots of realistic mistakes on enemy ship lengths, masthead heights, one where most ships don't even appear in the manual. Ship length was never used to calculate target speed for a single target of the thousands shot at in WWII.

A perfect manual means that you require that the US Navy rent every Japanese ship, commercial and military, take it to Pearl and carefully measure all the parameters for the manual. It would require that the Japanese agree never to modify any of their ships after we measured them. The very act of measurement would take longer than the war did. Surely you aren't going to say that adds to realistic gameplay.

In real life, most shots missed. In real life most targets were misidentified. In the game you can go patrol after patrol, even without CapnScurvy's manual and miss a couple shots per patrol and feel bad about that.

Adding Capn Scurvy's manual to Real Fleet Boat would make it Real Bad Fleet Boat.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-16, 11:13 AM   #1254
Skyworm
Watch

Default Question ab out new install

Cheers gentlemen,

after a fresh install of sh4 and u-boat missions, I have problems installing RFB2.

I have jsgme installed into the sh4 directory, and RFB is in the mods directory jsgme created. Jsgme tells me the mod is activated, but it isn't.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Skyworm

Last edited by Skyworm; 01-31-16 at 12:11 PM.
Skyworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-16, 02:07 AM   #1255
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

This is usually a double folder problem. When this happens, JSGME cannot properly change out the necessary files.

Your file structure should look like this:
...\SilentHunter\Mods\ABCmod\Data\....

not this:

...\SilentHunter\Mods\ABCmod\ABCmod\Data\....
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-16, 06:44 AM   #1256
Skyworm
Watch

Great thanks TorpX,

that did it.

One more question:
I'd like to play the german campaign now and would prefer to have german speech for more immersion. How can I get that?

I am unable to use the silent_hunter_4_german_voices patch because of my silent hunter 4 gold version. There should be a special patch for that version, but it seems to be unavailable now.

Originally I thought about playing it with the Operation Monsun Megamod, but since this seems to be incompatible with RFB, and I really love the things RFB did to the game, this is not an option.

Is there any other way?

Thanks again,
Skyworm

Last edited by Skyworm; 02-01-16 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 10:05 PM   #1257
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I couldn't say. I always play the US side.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-16, 06:39 AM   #1258
Skyworm
Watch

Thanks.

Just tried that "Spaxs SH4 Uboat Speech Fix Version 8" and it works fine so far.

It seems the RFB is more US-focused, anyway, right? The german subs don't have a hogans alley or something similar to put deck crew into when submerged, or do I miss something?

Last edited by Skyworm; 02-02-16 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-05-16, 04:03 PM   #1259
redcrowsgt
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi all i tried to download the manual listed for Rfb 1.52 above but its saying the zip is corrupt. I have tried redownloading but that didnt seem to fix it. Are there any other links for the file or could some one maybe email it to me ? Thanks for any help you can offer
Old 02-05-16, 06:24 PM   #1260
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > redcrowsgt
Find Help & Useful Information In My SHIV & SHV Signature Thread Links.
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Treat Yourself To The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod <> SH5 The Dawn Of A New Beginning
The Wolves Of Steel Frequently Asked Questions + Campaign Fix In > FAQ’s & Game Tips (Please Look Here First Before Posting A Question)
Silent Hunter III from 2005 bring your game play to 2015 with the
LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod
SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX

I do not know why you are looking for the old RFB version 1.52.
You need to use this version.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...34&postcount=1
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote