SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-15, 06:18 PM   #1231
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
However, Subsim isn't letting me upload the mod either. I seem to be lacking some kind of security certificate. I can't upload until I'm in uniform?
I think the maximum capacity for normal uploads is 40 MB. Bigger than that you'll have to ask Neal about using the FTP server. I've had trouble with that in the past, but maybe you'll have better luck.
Old 10-20-15, 11:41 AM   #1232
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo123 View Post
Thank you again!

But, if you want to make the file publicly available, you will have to share it without permission requests.

Here's a quick explanation:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2494886?hl=en

Otherwise, you'll be spammed with file requests from people wanting to download the mod.
Thank you! Sharing options changed and now everyone has access. I'm still communicating with Neal to have the actual file uploaded to Subsim. I'll leave my Google Drive link active for those with download problems in Subsim due to nationality.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-15, 01:25 PM   #1233
tomo123
Swabbie

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Thank you. You are the most excellent of gentleman I've had pleasure of meeting online.

tomo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 02:45 PM   #1234
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148

Radio contacts does not show the course, not even in terms of point of compass. Is there any way to fix/improve this?
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 04:33 PM   #1235
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
Radio contacts does not show the course, not even in terms of point of compass. Is there any way to fix/improve this?
This is by design. RFB expects the player to manually plot all contacts and shooting solutions. There is a version of TMO Plot for RFB that will restore the contact marks to the plot screen. It won't give you the god's-eye info of the SHIV default map screen, but it is enough to get you going, if you do not want to micromanage CIC.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 06:52 PM   #1236
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
This is by design. RFB expects the player to manually plot all contacts and shooting solutions. There is a version of TMO Plot for RFB that will restore the contact marks to the plot screen. It won't give you the god's-eye info of the SHIV default map screen, but it is enough to get you going, if you do not want to micromanage CIC.
This is what i thought. It is not a problem to manually plot it, actually i prefer it, but it would be easier to have a rough information like point of compass (n, ne, nne, etcc..), i believe that this information would not be unrealistic (whoever report a visual contact he can guess roughly what direction he is going), am i wrong?
Old 11-27-15, 08:22 PM   #1237
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I think the problem with what you want, is that if anything is plotted on the map by the game, it is 100% accurate, to the nearest pixel. This applies to the 'tails' of the symbols, too. So, if the mod/options put these on the map, they tend to give away the game.

Playing RFB + RSRDC (without map contacts), I sometimes get radio messages about contacts. These give a certain amount of information about position, course, and speed, but I have no way of knowing if it is accurate, or not. Of course, I must plot these myself, if I want to pursue them. This makes them much more of a gamble.

I think it is worthwhile to point out that most sinkings were the result of targets of opportunity. Sometimes info from decryption intel was sent to subs, but even then the odds were against an interception. It was only late in the war, when we had many subs working a smaller area of ocean, and better intel, that the chasing of contact reports really paid off.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 09:44 PM   #1238
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I think the problem with what you want, is that if anything is plotted on the map by the game, it is 100% accurate, to the nearest pixel. This applies to the 'tails' of the symbols, too. So, if the mod/options put these on the map, they tend to give away the game.

Playing RFB + RSRDC (without map contacts), I sometimes get radio messages about contacts. These give a certain amount of information about position, course, and speed, but I have no way of knowing if it is accurate, or not. Of course, I must plot these myself, if I want to pursue them. This makes them much more of a gamble.

I think it is worthwhile to point out that most sinkings were the result of targets of opportunity. Sometimes info from decryption intel was sent to subs, but even then the odds were against an interception. It was only late in the war, when we had many subs working a smaller area of ocean, and better intel, that the chasing of contact reports really paid off.
Thanks for the info. So help me to figure this out, currently with rfb 2.0 + patch, report contacts comes without any sort of direction course, just position and speed. So having these two info how am i supposed to plot anything? I have waited to see if they would have provided a new contact update later but it didn't happen.
Old 11-27-15, 10:22 PM   #1239
hanspeter76
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

nice work...
Old 11-28-15, 02:06 AM   #1240
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
Thanks for the info. So help me to figure this out, currently with rfb 2.0 + patch, report contacts comes without any sort of direction course, just position and speed. So having these two info how am i supposed to plot anything? I have waited to see if they would have provided a new contact update later but it didn't happen.
I haven't been playing much lately, so maybe others can help more. For myself, I don't get much radio intel.

In my recent career, a radio message advised units near a certain place to attempt to intercept, as major fleet units were expected to be there at a certain time. I was far away, so didn't even think about it.

In an earlier career, a message said a force was expected to transit a certain area in a couple days. It was fairly close, so I got there in plenty of time, but never saw any ships. That is usually how it is for me; you get a tip that there might be enemy units moving through a certain area in the next couple days. It is vague, and uncertain; not the sort of thing you can make detailed plans about.

All this might be different with TMO, or other mods. In SHCE, one was bombarded with innumerable contact reports; many more than you could ever pursue. They carried it to a ridiculous degree. Personally, I expect very few, and like it that way. Imo, if you get one legit contact report in a patrol, you're ahead of the game.

Old 11-28-15, 01:39 PM   #1241
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I haven't been playing much lately, so maybe others can help more. For myself, I don't get much radio intel.

In my recent career, a radio message advised units near a certain place to attempt to intercept, as major fleet units were expected to be there at a certain time. I was far away, so didn't even think about it.

In an earlier career, a message said a force was expected to transit a certain area in a couple days. It was fairly close, so I got there in plenty of time, but never saw any ships. That is usually how it is for me; you get a tip that there might be enemy units moving through a certain area in the next couple days. It is vague, and uncertain; not the sort of thing you can make detailed plans about.

All this might be different with TMO, or other mods. In SHCE, one was bombarded with innumerable contact reports; many more than you could ever pursue. They carried it to a ridiculous degree. Personally, I expect very few, and like it that way. Imo, if you get one legit contact report in a patrol, you're ahead of the game.

Lol, actually yesterday it happened to me the same thing. Contact report pretty close, move to intercept and nothing..
Old 12-01-15, 06:13 AM   #1242
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

You need to keep in mind that the times on these, and all messages is "Base Time". Unfortunately the game does not take into account that your patrol zone is in another time zone.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 05:09 AM   #1243
TorpX
Silent Hunter

??

But, your time is also base time, or so we've been told.
Old 12-02-15, 06:44 PM   #1244
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

That's true Torpex. The time displayed in your sub is also base time, not local time. The patrol areas are in different time zones.

Last edited by Fish40; 12-02-15 at 06:51 PM.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 12:07 AM   #1245
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
I actually disagreed with this during development. Here's why. The CO is not responsible for doing the plot. He checks it and verifies it, yes, but he doesn't do EVERYTHING. While I still ran RFB I insisted we have an option for putting some of the auto plotting back in as, to me, that was MORE realistic.
Read the following links. Although it's from a 1952 manual, the procedure it describes is the same as what was used by WWII skippers. Just keep in mind, each CO put their own twist on this.

Torpedo Fire Control Party
http://www.maritime.org/doc/attack/index.htm#chap04

Duties of the Fire Contro party
http://www.maritime.org/doc/attack/index.htm#chap05

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote