SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-16, 09:07 AM   #1
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default TDC Explanation PDF - Go from Zero to Hero

So you want to Captain a sub? Have no clue what to do? Cant tell the difference between a bow, stern, heading, or bearing?

Well now you can read up on this simple guide to becoming the most feared submarine captain in the HMS Marulken game.. your fish in the water will be like piranha's that tear up everything in sight..

The TDC Guide in 18 simple instructions with every page containing helpful tips, hints, and scripts on what to say as you give the orders.

It's a "must read" for you and all your crew!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g9sg1279b...s-tdc.pdf?dl=0

You may find me on one of these teamspeak servers:
Subsim.com - subsim.teamspeak3.com
WWII Battleground Europe, Allied, - ts.wwiionline.com:9988
Elite Dangerous, Gamers Cove - 82.21.87.49
Cpt-Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 10:05 AM   #2
Chromatix
Watch

Downloads: 11

I'm finding Marulken's TDC much easer to use than SH4's in manual mode, probably because it more closely matches how the real ones worked.

I'm never quite sure what SH4 is doing with the data I feed it, and if there's a way to check what SH4 is generating against reality (without map contact updates, that is), I haven't yet found it. That's why I play SH4 with automatic targeting.

Marulken gives me all the relevant data up front and lets me decide how to use it - much more realistic and intuitive.

I disagree however with your recommendations of what order to set the inputs in. Here's what I recommend:

1) Set the target speed to zero if it isn't already.

2) Enter a provisional target bearing, either from periscope or hydrophones. Optional: enter rough estimate of target range too.

3) Stop engines and begin timing the waterline passage. While waiting, make estimate of target AoB and enter that into TDC.

4) Enter target speed into TDC. There will now be no lag between subsequent range/bearing data entry and tracking. Lag causes misses astern.

5) Take new, precise measurements of target bearing & range; enter these into TDC. For this an assistant is helpful, otherwise point periscope slightly ahead of target to compensate for data entry lag.

At this point TDC is faithfully tracking your estimated data. The most likely source of error is now in the AoB, which is notoriously difficult to estimate visually. Begin manoeuvring for favourable attack position.

6) After a short time (say 30 seconds), take new, precise range and bearing measurements. Check these against the TDC's generated range and bearing, remembering to correct for lag if playing solo. If they don't match, correct them and then also adjust the AoB. Repeat at regular intervals until attack is made or abandoned.

7) When in attack position (ideally, target crossing your bow beam-on at 1000m range) and TDC generation checks properly, fire a torpedo. One is enough to sink a destroyer, and there is no provision for firing a divergent spread to compensate for aiming errors.
Chromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 11:46 PM   #3
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 62
Default FANTASTIC torpedo shot using TDC

Chemicalkiller was in my sub and watched this torpedo hunt it's prey and shred it.. (see image below, not actual scale).

We were at periscope depth facing SouthWest to the Gdynia Bay.. and then a DD came from a northern direction.. No time to turn around, I needed to remain calm and call out to fire control to enter the numbers. We fired just one torp.

He said "#$&* that was a &*^$@#% amazing shot!"

I said, "Well, even I can get lucky once in awhile.. but it didn't hurt that I was able to use the TDC guide.."

You may find me on one of these teamspeak servers:
Subsim.com - subsim.teamspeak3.com
WWII Battleground Europe, Allied, - ts.wwiionline.com:9988
Elite Dangerous, Gamers Cove - 82.21.87.49

Last edited by Cpt-Maxim; 06-24-16 at 12:30 PM.
Cpt-Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-16, 06:41 AM   #4
Terox_
Nub

Downloads: 0

Thanks for the guide. A simple easily readable font would have been a much better option, the one you have selected is not easy on the eye. But kudos to you for taking the time to do this and thanks a lot
Terox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 08:24 PM   #5
lolzor
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

It seems like no matter how bloody hard i try i can never get anything right; the torpedoes never even come close. And nevermind the fact that there is no training, everything IMMEDIATELY tries to kill you and there is absolutely no training scenario in which to wrap your head around anything regarding the damn TDC.
lolzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 11:37 PM   #6
Chromatix
Watch

Downloads: 11

To be fair to the devs, a tutorial would usually be developed fairly late in the list of content, once all the game mechanics and controls have been thoroughly nailed down.

Honestly, I think I had a large degree of "beginner's luck" as well as some prior knowledge of how the thing was supposed to work. Practice makes perfect.