SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-18, 03:50 PM   #1
Imarider
Mate

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0
Default CTD

If i change resulution of the game to 1024*768 from 1024*1280, is this help to prevent CTD?
Imarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 06:32 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

From your post in the ATO threads:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...16#post2544316
your computer game is installed in a good location. If you have an older CRT-type monitor (Cathode Ray Tube), it is not as important what you set your monitor display to. However, if you have an LCD monitor, then you want to match settings precisely (for computer efficiency). In other words, using my monitor as an example, I have an NEC MultiSync LCD1850E, which has a "Native" resolution of 1280x1024. If I look at the settings in Windows Control Panel, it lists the 1280x1024 as "(recommended)". So my Windows video card is set to that 1280x1024. My Silent Hunter game is also set to 1280x1024, and works flawlessly. But even if I was on 1024x768, the game would work flawlessly, but would not display as much information on the screen. The main thing is to match settings between Windows and Silent Hunter as best you can. If you have a monitor that can display many more pixels than mine, then you might not be able to find a setting in the game to match. But still, you should not CTD from the display (usually)...

The game will definitely CTD though, if there is a "bad" call for a vessel or plane in the game. One of the most common such issues occurs with the Conte Verde ship, that in some mods has a Type=109 (Rare Troop Transport), but doesn't have matching calls and / or CFG files. You will get a definite CTD when encountering that ship in those mods. A tool a person can use to find some issues like that is SH Validator by TheDarkWraith. Point it at your install, and see what it says.

Another way the game can CTD is from running out of RAM to use. What we've found while re-doing the Fall of the Rising Sun mod into the "Ultimate" edition, is that it will use all of the RAM it can get, which is definitely over 2 gigabytes, so the use of LAA (as mentioned in your above thread) is almost mandatory. Again, CapnScurvy's thread on its use in Windows 10 is here: Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. Operation Monsun is a large mod, and could almost definitely benefit from your use of it.

Unfortunately, there are many more ways to get a CTD with the game. Can you further describe the circumstances prior to getting the CTD? Does it occur when your submarine reaches a particular location on the Navigation Map, or do you even get to your submarine?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 06:43 PM   #3
Imarider
Mate

i ask just about if this help to prevent CTD happens regard memory, LAA not help and i have w7 64-bit system, so as i read it useless.
Old 03-09-18, 08:38 AM   #4
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakopis View Post
i ask just about if this help to prevent CTD happens regard memory, LAA not help and i have w7 64-bit system, so as i read it useless.
Set your monitor and game video settings to the same value. Does that answer your question? Propbeanie said the same thing. Good luck.

BTW, it would also help if you tell us what was going on when you got the CTDs. We're here to help.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 12:38 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakopis View Post
If i change resulution of the game to 1024*768 from 1024*1280, is this help to prevent CTD?
Normally that resolution is called 1280x1024. You mention a standing resolution. Most screen resolutions are in landscape format. So depending on how you set it in the game (i.e. text editing of file documents\SH4\data\cfg\main.ini), maybe it did cause the crash.

You provided very little information about how the crashes occur. So this is now a guessing game for the cause. That usually does not solve it quicker. Easily tested by you yourself though. Change it and see if it runs better.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 04:07 PM   #6
Imarider
Mate

I talk about that the small resolution eat less memory, than less change of crach. Just that. Another thing about broken saves that more annoying that crashes, but in this case we have to adress to Ubisoft... as i guess.