SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-15, 01:10 PM   #1
Nemo66
Bosun

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Icon7 New super-subsim developed by Modders ?

Hi mates,

calculating the unbelievable amounts of skill, work and love modders put in the SH-series, especially SH3, i start to think that they already put more work into the game than UBI did developing it. Is that right? Sorry, maybe the question sounds funny or even stupid to some PC/modding/programming experts, but i am just a poor user (but true subsim-lover) with more or less NO PC SKILLS OR PROGRAMMING KNOWLEDGE AT ALL.

Being unexperienced and naive too maybe, i ask myself, why all the modders don't team up together and develop a new super-subsim, including all the experience gained in years by subsimmers/modders in our community. Networking via the internet would be a possibility to connect people from all over the world, and the money needed could be organised by crowdfunding. Submarines are very popular worldwide, the internet is full with related issues. Also a lot of people love submarine movies, so i definitely think a project like this could gain great interest.

Maybe this is just a total pipedream, but calculating all the efforts people put in the perfectioning of the SH-series, they maybe could have built a true super-sim in the meantime, networking all together.

As said above, i just do some guessing here, and i don't get keelhauled now for this childish approach.....

If i should be totally wrong with this idea ( i am sure to be not the first person coming up with this anyway, but i could not find it in the forum) please tell me the exact reasons why this dream could never come true, giving me at least the chance to learn some things about producing a subsim / PC game.

LONG LIVE ROCK'N'ROLL AND THE SUBSIM COMMUNITY
Nemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-15, 03:40 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo66 View Post
i ask myself, why all the modders don't team up together and develop a new super-subsim
To start with, most modders do what they want, when they want. They will sometimes make mods at the request of others, but most go their own way.

Second, if a team is put together the first thing it needs is a leader. With an actual development team this is easier, because whoever is putting up the money hires a leader who will do what the person with the money wants, and the team members do what the leader says because they're getting paid. If no one is getting paid then they all have to agree to do what the leader says.

So you put together a team of individuals who can each do a certain job. There has to be a programmer who can actually create a new engine to run the game. It's possible to use an engine that someone else has already created, but that might cost money, as the original programmer(s) didn't do it for free. The product is owned by them, and they don't want to give it away, or it's owned by the person or company that hired them, and that person or company is in it for the money.

Third, the teams who created the supermods we have now didn't always get along with each other, or with the other mod teams. Most of them have gotten over it to the point where they will help each other out on a conditional basis, but will likely never agree to be on a team together.

There are individuals who have been designing their own games, but their work is slow since they usually work alone. The only way you're ever going to create a sophisticated new game is to come up with the money somehow and hire the people you need to do the work. They probably won't be the modders we all praise so highly because those individuals already have jobs of one sort or another and don't want to be pinned to having to produce on demand. Getting paid to do what you love is a great notion, but the harsh fact is that getting paid also means working for someone else, and then it's a job, and not fun anymore.
Old 03-13-15, 06:30 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Steve,

That has to be the best explanation I have ever seen put up here at Subsim.

Old 03-13-15, 07:26 PM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote