SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-15, 09:40 PM   #1
Kanfield
Swabbie

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0
Default SH3, GWX Gold, and Steam on Windows 8

Just a quick post with my *very* easy experience. I recently bought a new PC, nothing too extreme, ( Dell, Intel Dual 3.2/4 G RAM, nothing fancy video card.) Seriously, I've never had an easier time Downloading/setting up/ playing SH3 as this, and have been messing with it for a very long time. I downloaded SH3,( v.1.4b) through Steam for 9.99, let it default install, then ran it, Great! Then, I got the idea that this computer should run GWX Gold, no sweat. So, I donated a very small sum to the Sub-simmers here, and was rewarded with Awesomeness. The only two things I had to make sure of were these: 1. After I downloaded GWX to my regular Download Folder, I had to make sure it was going to the path that led to SH3 in the Steam folder, ( via Prog filesdx86) on the install. I did that and then fired it up. I had the beautiful GWX welcome screen, but the game would not load a mission, which led me to . 2. Troubleshoot the game for 'Compatibility'.(Right click the Icon, follow the instructions), the helper decided it should be run in Admin mode for Windows XP serv pack 2, ( even though the gamed runs perfectly 'stock' under Steam). Saved that setting, and, BAM! Loads quick, runs like a Tank. Thank You, Thank You, thank you! I have played a lot of SH3, and it is one of my personal top two games of forever, and now, it is even more beautiful, and immersive than it ever was before, Good God, what a bargain! Thank you once again
Kanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-15, 06:37 AM   #2
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

Enjoy it and remember to help out the site when Neal puts out the call.
Old 03-30-15, 06:57 AM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanfield View Post
Just a quick post with my *very* easy experience. I recently bought a new PC, nothing too extreme, ( Dell, Intel Dual 3.2/4 G RAM, nothing fancy video card.) Seriously, I've never had an easier time Downloading/setting up/ playing SH3 as this, and have been messing with it for a very long time. I downloaded SH3,( v.1.4b) through Steam for 9.99, let it default install, then ran it, Great! Then, I got the idea that this computer should run GWX Gold, no sweat. So, I donated a very small sum to the Sub-simmers here, and was rewarded with Awesomeness. The only two things I had to make sure of were these: 1. After I downloaded GWX to my regular Download Folder, I had to make sure it was going to the path that led to SH3 in the Steam folder, ( via Prog filesdx86) on the install. I did that and then fired it up. I had the beautiful GWX welcome screen, but the game would not load a mission, which led me to . 2. Troubleshoot the game for 'Compatibility'.(Right click the Icon, follow the instructions), the helper decided it should be run in Admin mode for Windows XP serv pack 2, ( even though the gamed runs perfectly 'stock' under Steam). Saved that setting, and, BAM! Loads quick, runs like a Tank. Thank You, Thank You, thank you! I have played a lot of SH3, and it is one of my personal top two games of forever, and now, it is even more beautiful, and immersive than it ever was before, Good God, what a bargain! Thank you once again
If in time you add other mods, you will find many more small procedural changes you have to make to get your Steam game to accept the mods. Probably 80% of the posts on this thread asking for help getting a mod to work contain the words: "I have the Steam version...." A download from any other source will make your life easier - for the cost of dinner for 2 at Mickey D's. YMMV
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-15, 02:09 PM   #4
Kanfield
Swabbie

Downloads: 114
Default @BigWalleye

That may well be, but this time was very easy. Just to not have to deal with Starforce, ugh, I used to hate that thing. Anyhow, it seems as if the GWX is sufficient for myself, who has only once or twice tried to learn pure Manual targeting... for now, I'll stick to WP assistance. Everything that used to annoy me with Stock SH3, is fixed, especially, but not limited to Crew Fatigue....which was the major reason that I bought SH4, ( the crew was self starting enough to change their own watches),I will post more observances as I make them, right now, its steady as she goes
Kanfield is offline   Reply With Quote