Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-18, 07:06 AM   #481
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
When Finns talk about casualties is that the same as the English meaning (as in wounded or dead) or does it only count people killed as it would be in German?
Casualties are usually separated as KIA/WIA, I just forgot to add that.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 04:44 PM   #482
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

BTW what is the modern Finnish opinion on Finnish SS volunteers? Are they considered criminals, elite soldiers helping their country or a bit of both depending on individual deeds? (BTW I'm unaware of Finnish SS soldiers being involved in war crimes but my knowledge of that is limited if not nonexistent).
Old 06-16-18, 04:42 AM   #483
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
BTW what is the modern Finnish opinion on Finnish SS volunteers? Are they considered criminals, elite soldiers helping their country or a bit of both depending on individual deeds?
There is no general view on them, but from personal experience they seem to be largely forgotten. Books about the war mention them in passing usually and documentaries tend to not even mention them. I don't personally have any problem with them nor think they did anything wrong by volunteering and fighting in the SS, after all it was the Wehrmacht that Finns wanted to send their men to, but of course that wasn't possible since you had to be German.

Quote:
(BTW I'm unaware of Finnish SS soldiers being involved in war crimes but my knowledge of that is limited if not nonexistent).
Yes, this is the long held view on it. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, study by the Finnish National Archives on the subject of SS-volunteers and war crimes should be out by the end of the year.

PS. Is it just me or is Subsim adding in extra blank lines after you post? Annoying.
Old 06-16-18, 06:04 AM   #484
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
PS. Is it just me or is Subsim adding in extra blank lines after you post? Annoying.
Haven't noticed that yet.
Old 06-16-18, 06:09 AM   #485
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Haven't noticed that yet.
Gotcha, something on my end then.
Old 06-22-18, 12:26 AM   #486
Dowly
Lucky Jack

16 June 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 14

War dog "Tuija" at Hämeenlinna training center.

17 June 1943

Karelian Isthmus: "Enemy attack in the Simola area stopped by mortar and small-arms fire."

Finnish daily losses: 18

Fortification works at Karhumäki.

18 June 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 20

Lieutenant Salminen tells visitors on top of a destroyed bunker about the battles at Summa during the Winter War.

19 June 1943

Uhtua/3.Division: "At 0400hrs the enemy attacked our positions near Iso Kiiskisjärvi managing to get into our trenches from where it was quickly pushed out. Meanwhile estimated 250 strong enemy unit approached from the north, but this enemy was also beaten back."

Finnish daily losses: 12

76mm AA-gun at Suursaari.

20 June 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 9

Mother with three Crosses of Mourning on her chest, one for each son she's lost.

21 June 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 24

View of Suursaari from atop Haukkavuori.

22 June 1943

Maaselkä Group: "Three of our bases in the Krivjärvi - Kommunarofjärvi area were attacked this morning after a strong artillery preparation. Two of the attacks were halted before reaching our obstacles, the third attack pushed into our trenches and was killed to the last man there. So far, we've counted 142 enemy KIA. Own losses 30 men KIA/WIA."

Old 06-22-18, 03:13 AM   #487
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
16 June 1943

Mother with three Crosses of Mourning on her chest, one for each son she's lost.
That's brutal.
Old 06-23-18, 01:13 PM   #488
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
That's brutal.
Quite.

Since I've got too much time, here's the report of 3.Division's combat on June 19th. I put it in chronological order, since it wasn't.
The Finnish unit was Infantry Regiment 11.

Quote:
0400hrs
The enemy began heavy artillery and mortar shelling on the regiment's sector, concentrating most of the fire between base "Kaneli" and Iso Kiskisjärvi. Especially strong fire was also directed towards bases "Turisti", "Etu", "Kivi" and "Saarinen"

0410hrs
Reserves were formed from regiment's supply troops and [illegible] under Lieutenant Rauma(?), strength 4+29+129. The reserve was positioned at this moment near "Messuhalli".
Enemy planes appeared at the same time, flying east to west making strafing and bombing runs on our front and rear positions.

0415hrs
6/JR11 -- the division's reserve -- alarmed.
About a platoon of enemies advanced towards "Horsma" on III.battalion's sector under the cover of the morning mist and smoke boxes. The enemy got 30 metres from our positions before our small-arms fire forced them to take cover. Behind them advanced 200-250 more enemies towards "Horsma".

0420hrs
Enemy infantry (~2 comp.) began their attack towards "Turisti", advancing to our obstacles and sending a smaller group forwards that captured 50 metres of our trenches.

0425hrs
Commander of 6/JR11 Lieutenant Nylund reported in at the command post. 6/JR11 is to stay at their living area for now.
The local forces at "Turisti" had successfully thrown out the enemy that had gotten into our trenches. At the same time our fire mission struck the rest of the enemy forces in front of "Turisti" causing them heavy casualties and forcing them to retreat at about 0430hrs.

0430hrs
Received word that "Turisti" was captured by the enemy.
The sun and morning winds dissipated the mist and smoke which allowed for our infantry to see the advancing enemy near "Horsma", forcing them to retreat under fire behind the so called "Vilukukkula" hill.

0435hrs
Report from Lieutenant Patakaski that "Turisti" is still fully in friendly hands.

0520hrs
Runner reported that the fighting at "Turisti" has ended.

0630hrs
Fighting at "Horsma" has ended.

0645hrs
Our mortars fired behind "Vilukukkula" hill.

Losses:
I.Battalion - 1 KIA, 1 WIA
III.Battalion - 1 KIA, 6 WIA
Enemy losses: 30 KIA counted infront of "Horsma", lots of wounded judging by the cries and enemy medics seen.
Estimated enemy KIA/WIA: 150
For the thousands of Finns who obviously read this thread, the original pages in more exact detail (but not in chronological order) can be read here:
Page 1: https://i.imgur.com/XN8DxTW.jpg
Page 2: https://i.imgur.com/Mr6gTlM.jpg

Or alternatively from the National Archives war diary archive:
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/slistaus.ka?ay=77836.KA (Pages 8-9)
Old 06-29-18, 04:14 AM   #489
Dowly
Lucky Jack

23 June 1943

Grain shipments from Germany to Finland resume after a halt due to the cooling of relations between the two caused by Finland's peace feelers.

Finnish daily losses: 32

Volunteer worker and a little piggy. (Suomussalmi)

24 June 1943

Maaselkä Group: "In the Maaselkä station area, the enemy attacked our positions with a company size force after an artillery preparation. The attack was halted and pushed back by 0400hrs. Enemy losses 50 KIA, own losses 2 KIA 5 WIA.

Base "Särmä" on the Maaselkä isthmus.

25 June 1943

Karelian Isthmus: Attack against Finnish positions near Viisjoki repelled.

26 June 1943

Partisan activity is increasing in northern Finland. At the turn of June-July, the "Krasnyi partizan" group attacks the villages of Tuppura, Hyry, Malahvia and Viianki in the Suomussalmi region leaving over 30 civilians dead.

Rukajärvi/14.D: "At 8 o'clock, the enemy launched a very strong artillery and mortar fire in the direction of Kotkola road. After an hour of preparation, the enemy attacked our base on the north side of the road with 1-2 battalions and after a 40-minute-long battle the enemy had taken over the base. As our forces were preparing for a counter-strike they were hit by enemy artillery resulting in number of casualties. Losses: 21 KIA, 90 WIA, 2 MIA."

Finnish daily losses: 47

27 June 1943

Rukajärvi/14.D: "The base we lost yesterday has been recaptured after over 3 hours of fighting. We've counted 115 enemy dead so far, own losses 2 KIA 36 WIA."

Finnish daily losses: 16

20mm AA-gun at Vuoksenniska factory area.

28 June 1943

Rukajärvi/14.D: The enemy tries to capture base "Pallo" three times during the day, all attempts are pushed back.

Finnish daily losses: 21

29 June 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 19

Marshal Mannerheim and Generals Heinrich, Hanell, Öhqvist, Sarlin, Lagus and Tuompo following a testing of various anti-tank obstacles. (Taavetti)
Old 06-30-18, 09:55 AM   #490
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Here's a translated (yours truly) story from Kansa Taisteli Journal 12/1986.

Written by Paavo Heino, this *might* be him: https://www.sotapolku.fi/henkilot/he...8-02-23_lohja/

He writes about a mission that took place in Summer of 1943, where he and few others decided to go and snatch a machine gun from the enemy side. Especially the original Finnish text makes it seem like this was partly done due to boredom.

Quote:
Our fire direction center "Jousi 10" was at the shore of Jandeba river at Svir in 6./IR 13's sector. Our unit was battery 7 of field artillery regiment 8.
Artillery was forbidden from firing unless it was a large target or we were asked for interdiction fire. Even in case of the former, we had to get permission from someone higher up to fire. There wasn't much to do for an artillery spotter. We did our daily routine of walking the front lines, which were about 1km in width in our sector.
At times I climbed a thick spruce tree to observe the enemy side that was about 400 metres away.
One of these times nearly cost me my life.
Either I had climbed carelessly or the enemy sentry was more alert than usual. In any case, the result was an angry machine gun burst aimed at the tree I was in. Luckily it went over my head. I managed to spot where the fire was coming from as I was making my hasty retreat from the tree.

The next time I went up, I had my binoculars with me. I scanned the enemy side and soon saw a well camouflaged wooden bunker and a connecting trench behind it leading to a dug-out. Next to the bunker was a tall pine tree, which I thought made for a great landmark for the mission I had in mind.
I returned to our living dug-out and brought up my plan with the men. Soon I had more volunteers than I had planned, which didn't surprise me; we had made a number of patrols over to the enemy side and always came back without casualties.
The team I chose for the mission included yours truly, Laaksonen, Salonius, Arttila and Luostarinen, who was the only one without patrol experience. The rest I knew I could count on no matter what happened.
The plan was simple: Head off from base "Maski", advance straight to the objective and silence the sentry. Laaksonen and Arttila take the machine gun, Salonius tosses a satchel charge in the dug-out and I keep watch with my submachine gun. Luostarinen will stay 100 metres behind us. Once we're done, we leave immediately back to base.
I called the CO of the battery (Jokinen) for permission, who then called the regiment CO before giving me green light. Lastly, I informed our infantry of the mission.

We had planned to head off at 0130hrs, so we'd be sure everyone but the sentries were fast asleep on the neighbour's side.
Preparations were done during the evening; ever man got a submachine gun with 1 extra drum, some hand grenades and a satchel charge around which we strapped some more explosives to double its weight.
We had hoped for some wind to conceal any noises we made while moving, but we had no such luck that night. Snap of a single branch would be heard, so we had to move carefully. Before heading out I talked to the CO of the base and told him how long I expected the mission to take so our sentries would know to expect us.
The no man's land was dried swampland with lots of short spruce, pine and birch trees. The branches of taller trees that had been cut earlier that hampered our movement slightly. We started off slowly crouching through the swamp, then we dropped on all fours and finally crawled to get to a striking distance.
As we were 40 metres away from the bunker, I told everyone to get their grenades ready. I glanced over at each man for the last time and got a nod in return.

All four of us jumped up at the same time, the battle had begun.
Before we had gotten up to speed the Unknown Factor stepped in in the form of a trip line concealed in the foliage. I saw it in time to jump over it and continued forward throwing my grenades in the direction of the bunker. I looked back and to my horror realised I was alone; the rest of the men were entangled in the trip line.
The whole situation had changed completely in seconds. Our task was now not to snatch the machine gun, but to get back alive.
My men were still trying to get free of the trip line, while I was right at the bunker, some 30cm to the side of the barrel of the gun.
From inside the bunker I heard the sound of loading the gun and soon the machine gun began to sing.
Is this it?
No time for worry- do something!
What's the best way to silence the gun? With my submachine gun or a grenade?
The decision was made for me as the gun jammed. The two Russkies in the bunker must've been the fastest of the sector in that situation; one was trying to clear the jam, the other was readying a grenade.
Who'd be faster?
I primed my grenade against the butt of my submachine gun just as the machine gun began to sing again. I waited for before throwing the grenade so they'd have no time to throw it back.
I heard the grenade land on the floor of the bunker.
The Russkies didn't react in any way and kept firing, I suppose he didn't see it.
The grenade did its job and the machine gun fell silent.

Quick glance revealed my men to be still alive, I guess the Russkie's nerves had gone after the gun jammed to not hit any of them.
The situation was still on.
-"Watch out!"
Arttila screamed at me.
I turned around with my weapon ready to fire.
In the connecting trench, about 10 metres from me, was a Russkie trying to get a grenade out. I pulled the trigger just as he threw it and he never got to see the result of his throw. Too bad, it was a good throw, hit me square in the chest. He had thrown it too early, I had time to back away for a couple of metres before it blew.
I felt a sharp pain in my thigh.
Bullet snapped past my ear. Someone was shooting. From where? I tried to find the shooter, but couldn't.
Submachine gun burst from the direction of the trip line. I looked over, it was Salonius. He had seen a rifleman behind a pine tree, aiming his second shot at me.
The rifleman fell silent.
The fight didn't last long, but had surely woken up everyone in the base. I decided it was time to go.

-"Let's go!" I yelled to the boys.
We ran to where Luostarinen was and hit the ground as the base sprung to life; light-machine guns, submachine guns, rifles were all shooting at something. Once the mortars joined in, we thought it was better to stay put and wait for the situation to calm down. We had good cover, safe from small-arms fire.
-"Everyone OK?" I asked as we waited for the mortar fire to shift.
Arttila had a flesh wound on his arm that we patched up while waiting, but everyone else was ok.
We returned back at 0300hrs.
During the morning Arttila and I walked to the first aid station to have our wounds checked. I had a grenade shrapnel in my thigh where it remains to this day.
Arttila, the calm and brave soldier, later lost his life on a patrol.
Old 07-06-18, 01:50 AM   #491
Dowly
Lucky Jack

30 June 1943

Committee to handle Jewish refugees' issues is formed.

Aunus Group: East of lake Orgjärvi, a Finnish patrol destroys enemy living dug-out and at least 15 men in it.

Finnish daily losses: 23

Various photos from the aftermath of the fighting at base "Pallo" in the Rukajärvi area.

Russian POWs.

The forest that had been nearly untouched before the battle.

A breach through which Finns attacked the enemy occupied areas of the base.

Recaptured trenches.

1 July 1943

Separate Battalion 4 (ErP 4) is formed to organize and supply long range patrols. Previous LRRP units are subordinated to it as companies (1-4/ErP 4).

Rukajärvi/14.D: In the aftermath of the 28th June fighting at base "Pallo", 350 enemy KIA have been counted in the base and in the nearby terrain.

Finnish daily losses: 10

2 July 1943

Navy: German planes bombed an oil slick in the Porkkala narrows. More oil came to the surface among with smaller items such as rubber glove, a shoe and a bandage kit.

Finnish daily losses: 11

3 July 1943

No entry.

4 July 1943

Maaselkä Group: Finnish positions on the Seesjärvi - Kuusijärvi isthmus came under attack just after midnight. Finns retreat from the village of Pokonvaara. Further attacks occur on the Lipjärvi - Kalajärvi isthmus where Finns decide to abandon one of their bases.

AOK Norwegen: At 0300hrs this morning, Soviet partisans destroyed a bridge at Laanila and ambushed a postal car. Three people were killed among them Bishop Yrjö Wallinmaa. Nearby houses in the area were also attacked.

5 July 1943

Finnish SS-volunteer parade is held in Hanko. Their two year contract comes to an end on the 11th of July.

Finnish daily losses: 9

6 July 1943

Maaselkä Group: The Russian unit that carried out the attacks on the 4th has been identified as II/33.Ski Brigade.

Old 07-06-18, 08:09 AM   #492
Dowly
Lucky Jack

If there is want I could try and find a more detailed description about the battle of base "Pallo", which actually took place over several days, not just one as the HQ war diary implies.
Old 07-12-18, 07:32 AM   #493
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Not sure at which time I'll be heading off tomorrow for the weekend so I'll post this day already this week.

7 July 1943

Finns begin to uncover the aftermath of a July 4 partisan attack on the village of Viianki in Suomussalmi region.

15 civilians and three soldiers were killed in the attack.

The village of Malahvia, only couple of kilometers south of Viianki, was also attacked on the 4th resulting in the deaths of 5 civilians and 1 soldier.

Bodies of civilians killed in a partisan attack in the village of Viianki are being dug from beneath the rubble.

!!!CHILD WARNING!!!
https://i.imgur.com/ATI4qN8.jpg
Likely Silja Orvokki Kinnunen, 4, who died after a hand grenade severed her left leg. (Viianki)

Civilians in the Suomussalmi region are given rifles to defend themselves from the partisans.

8 July 1943

3.D/Uhtua area: Civilians working the fields 27km east of Hyrynsalmi were shot at by an enemy patrol, no losses reported.

44 of 47 POWs who escaped from German custody in the Uhtua area have been apprehended or killed.

Finnish daily losses: 10

Log bunker under construction. (Karhumäki)

9 July 1943

Aunus Group: Enemy patrol crosses river Svir by boats near Lotinapelto and capture a Finnish sentry.

10 July 1943

Aunus Group: Finnish artillery destroys an enemy base on the shore of lake Ladoga.

Graves of unknown casualties of the Winter War. (Kollaa)

11 July 1943

Aunus Group: 71 enemies have been killed by Finnish snipers 1.-10. July.

The Finnish SS-Volunteer Battalion is disbanded. Of the 1400 volunteers 256 were killed, 12 went missing and 686 were wounded.

The German SS uniform has changed to a Finnish one. SS-volunteers at Hanko.

12 July 1943

AOK Norwegen: Four enemy planes are shot down in the Vardö - Kiberg area.

Finnish daily losses: 15

Half a kilometer long log bridge across the Sapasuo swamp. (Maaselkä)

13 July 1943

Maaselkä Group: Enemy attack near Liistelampi repelled.

Finnish daily losses: 27
Old 07-20-18, 01:24 AM   #494
Dowly
Lucky Jack

14 July 1943

Karelian Isthmus: At 1710hrs the enemy attacked Finnish positions on the north side of the Ohta road. The attack was thrown back before the enemy could get into Finnish positions.

15 July 1943

The Battle of Kursk ends in German defeat.

Lieutenant-Colonel Jussi Sovio is appointed as the CO of Finnish HQ's LRRP unit ErP.4

AOK Norwegen: Soviet partisans kill one civilian and kidnaps four near Hautajärvi.

Marshal Mannerheim inspects the crew of Gunboat Uusimaa. (Hamina)

16 July 1943

43 Finnish soldiers are arrested in Karhumäki for producing illegal booze.

Sentry at base "Mies". (Metsäpirtti/IR 16)

17 July 1943

Uhtua/3.D: Enemy strike unit of 10-20 men get into Finnish trenches under a smoke screen. They are immediately pushed back.

Finnish daily losses: 35

Recruits of Laat.RPr. (Laatokka Coastal Brigade) undergoing assault training.

18 July 1943

AOK Norwegen: Due to increased partisan activity a request is made to send 500 rifles, 30 SMGs, 10 LMGs and 10 MGs for the protection of the border villages.

19 July 1943

Since last summer, approximately 10,000 children have returned from Sweden.

AOK Norwegen: According to information given by POWs, there are two 70-men partisan units active in the Kuusamo area.

152/45 CRaut railway gun. (Uuksu)

20 July 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 22
Old 07-20-18, 03:30 AM   #495
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
16 July 1943

43 Finnish soldiers are arrested in Karhumäki for producing illegal booze.
I hope those weren't front line soldiers or there would have been a big problem in that sector.

Any relatives of yours?

Tags
continuation war, jatkosota