SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-18, 11:04 AM   #1
vamac53
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default sim stops

hi, when i start the sim, it cycles thru several small video clips, then the screen just goes grey. sim doesnt advance to the start screen to choose campaign, missions, etc. any help is greatly appreciated.

thx.

mike
vamac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 11:22 AM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamac53 View Post
hi, when i start the sim, it cycles thru several small video clips, then the screen just goes grey. sim doesnt advance to the start screen to choose campaign, missions, etc. any help is greatly appreciated.

thx.

mike

Hello vamac53.

I'm assuming you're referring to SH4 when you mention sim. There can be many reasons why the game is not starting correctly for you. We will need some more info in order to help you with your problems. Are you getting any error messages, what OS are you using, do you have the latest drivers installed.......etc? Have you installed DX 9.0c? This is needed in order for the game to run. Will wait for your response.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 11:30 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Hello vamac53.

I'm assuming you're referring to SH4 when you mention sim. There can be many reasons why the game is not starting correctly for you. We will need some more info in order to help you with your problems. Are you getting any error messages, what OS are you using, do you have the latest drivers installed.......etc? Have you installed DX 9.0c? This is needed in order for the game to run. Will wait for your response.
Ditto! - also, what folder is the game installed in?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 11:47 AM   #4
vamac53
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

[QUOTE=propbeanie;2556288]Ditto! - also, what folder is the game installed in?[/QUOT
installed sh4 on my windows 10 laptop thru steam. i have updated radeon video drivers. it runs the intense flight simulators perfect. its installed in folder steam/ steamapps / common folder
vamac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 12:11 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

SH4 is an old game (11+ years and counting), written in the WindowsXP days, which is prior to UAC (User Access Control). It was also the DirectX v9.0c days, and some of the files for use by Silent Hunter were dropped in DirectX v10, and more in v11, etc. Be sure you have DirectX v9.0c installed. It comes with the game, whether Steam or Disk or whatever. It will NOT overwrite whichever version of DirectX is on your computer now, but will instead just write a few more files to the install.

Also, for me, "folder" includes the drive... So, besides being "steam/ steamapps / common", does that by chance include "C:\Program Files (x86)\", and then that Steam path? Also, Windows 10 does throw some extra work into the mix sometimes for a Silent Hunter player. See THEBERBSTER's thread SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <..., and start browsing all of the links you find with > Steam user Information in the title. Also, Peter is very good at helping with Windows 10 issues, as is CapnScurvy, and I do believe that cdrsubron7 above here just did a new computer build, and may have used Windows 10 also. I do not use Win10, and have forgotten more about Windows than I ever knew about Windows 10. ...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote