SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-08, 03:00 PM   #706
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Cool! They are there!...I continue to be very impressed with RSRDC's detail. 'll have to modify my Search pattern.

Watching some excellent documentaries about the Battle of Midway this morning I learned that 19 (Nineteen!) US subs were in the region, and apparently only one got into action in any way...with the following result [caveat: according to Wikipedia]:
Quote:
Subsequent to the air attacks, Nautilus fired torpedoes at what her crew thought was Sōryū but which later research suggests was Kaga. Nautilus claimed one hit the carrier, causing "flames". However, the surviving crew of Kaga reported no torpedo hits after the air attack. Of the four torpedoes launched, one failed to run, two ran erratically, and the fourth was a 'dud', impacting amidships and breaking in half
Lesson Learned: It's a BIG ocean out there...
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 03:37 PM   #707
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

They are there Doolittle. Need to hunt and a good crew you have been building is also a help. Sometimes I wonder if there are targets were Lurker has sent me. Sail for a few days getting a bit discouraged then bam.....all hell breaks loose. The times I relish after a long hunt.
Old 02-16-08, 06:55 PM   #708
stufer
Watch

Downloads: 88

Good evening fellow skippers.

I've been enjoying this mod for quite some time now and have all the latest updates. I recently started a campaign in the Aleutian Islands and I'm not seeing any contacts around the islands of Attu and Kiska. I have had a couple of tries at this campaign before and no contacts then.

I have no trouble finding contacts around Paramushir and the islands north of Japan. However after about 8 or 9 patrols in this and previous campaigns I have found nothing at Attu or Kiska or anywhere around the actual Aleutian Islands. Is there traffic there? I can't locate the SH Mission Editor to check myself (if indeed that is the correct programme to do so).

Anyone else been able to find anything in this part of the world?

Cheers
Stu.
stufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 07:54 PM   #709
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufer
Good evening fellow skippers.

I've been enjoying this mod for quite some time now and have all the latest updates. I recently started a campaign in the Aleutian Islands and I'm not seeing any contacts around the islands of Attu and Kiska. I have had a couple of tries at this campaign before and no contacts then.

I have no trouble finding contacts around Paramushir and the islands north of Japan. However after about 8 or 9 patrols in this and previous campaigns I have found nothing at Attu or Kiska or anywhere around the actual Aleutian Islands. Is there traffic there? I can't locate the SH Mission Editor to check myself (if indeed that is the correct programme to do so).

Anyone else been able to find anything in this part of the world?

Cheers
Stu.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 08:06 PM   #710
stufer
Watch

Downloads: 88

Ahh thank you Lurker, that's exactly what I was looking for! That answers my question in no uncertain terms. Guess I've just been unlucky. Do those black dots represent waypoints for the ships? And the squares with question marks in - are they the spawn points for ships?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Stu.
stufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 08:27 PM   #711
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufer
Ahh thank you Lurker, that's exactly what I was looking for! That answers my question in no uncertain terms. Guess I've just been unlucky. Do those black dots represent waypoints for the ships? And the squares with question marks in - are they the spawn points for ships?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Stu.
That is correct
Old 02-16-08, 09:18 PM   #712
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Looks mighty busy out there in that vast ocean.
Old 02-17-08, 01:14 AM   #713
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

@Lurker: How did you ever have time to build that World of activity out there...for four full years, 41-45 ??????!!!!
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 03:44 AM   #714
nimitstexan
Loader

Downloads: 14

Out of curiosity, are there plans to have Type IX U-boats going to show up in RSRD . . .?
nimitstexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 08:13 AM   #715
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimitstexan
Out of curiosity, are there plans to have Type IX U-boats going to show up in RSRD . . .?

I will not be doing "Das Boot"
Old 02-17-08, 08:36 AM   #716
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
Cool! They are there!...I continue to be very impressed with RSRDC's detail. 'll have to modify my Search pattern.

Watching some excellent documentaries about the Battle of Midway this morning I learned that 19 (Nineteen!) US subs were in the region, and apparently only one got into action in any way...with the following result [caveat: according to Wikipedia]:
Quote:
Subsequent to the air attacks, Nautilus fired torpedoes at what her crew thought was Sōryū but which later research suggests was Kaga. Nautilus claimed one hit the carrier, causing "flames". However, the surviving crew of Kaga reported no torpedo hits after the air attack. Of the four torpedoes launched, one failed to run, two ran erratically, and the fourth was a 'dud', impacting amidships and breaking in half
Lesson Learned: It's a BIG ocean out there...
I'm currently in a career with the Nautilus. A few patrols back, I was sent to Midway for defense of the island. I didn't see any ships, but I did encounter what appeared to be about 40-50 planes flying in formation due north. The result? 84% damage to my boat...

I just love this game!
capt_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 10:36 PM   #717
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

To All

WARNING

Do not use RSRDC with Trigger Maru Overhaul (BETA), my code review noted that v320 plus Patch3 will "NOT" run correctly. Will create a new version of RSRDC after TMO is out of Beta testing.

Lurker

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 02-18-08 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 01:27 AM   #718
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Default Interesting message

Left Midway 12/31/42 to patrol area in Marshall Islands area.
Re-assigned to Gilbert Islands after fulfilling Marshall Islands patrol.
Re-assigned to Gilbert Islands (again with same specs)
Finished patrol and sent usual 1/17/43 0001Z status message.
Message recieved 1/17/43 0002Z (popup): "Message Briefing"
Checked radio log: "Message briefing" is all it said.
1/17/43 0007Z Message recieved: "RTB AT YOUR DISCRETION"

Well, there is no discretion doing an RTB with 13 of my torpedoes still onboard (nor any valor), so I continued patrolling northward along the Gilbert chain of islands. A day later I received a message to patrol a point midway between the Gilberts and Marshalls. That's more like it.

I was curious about the "Message briefing" message, however. Seems like a slight boo-boo somewhere.
Old 02-19-08, 05:25 AM   #719
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger

Well, there is no discretion doing an RTB with 13 of my torpedoes still onboard (nor any valor), so I continued patrolling northward along the Gilbert chain of islands. A day later I received a message to patrol a point midway between the Gilberts and Marshalls. That's more like it.

I was curious about the "Message briefing" message, however. Seems like a slight boo-boo somewhere.
Yeah...I've seen that one twice...once during my first patrol (no patches had been released yet, or maybe only Patch I) when I was still fully loaded. The second one was more rational; I had ran out of torpedoes.
Just guesswork here: if the mission generator doesn't find any eligible "targets" near your sub, you get ordered home. Once you're in a zone where eligible missions are available, you'll get one if you radio in (and provided you have fuel and torpedoes).

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 08:05 AM   #720
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger

I corrected this in Patch 3