SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-11, 03:40 PM   #1
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30
Default Looking for info on TDC use

Hi Guys working on a project and need some info on how the Real TDC worked to see its possible to implement into my project.

1: I think this is the Impact Angle (Not implemented in SH3)

How does this dial work, that is from what data does it get its calculations does it use a formula to calculate the angle the torp will hit a target from the torpedo track and the targets bearing and course?

The reason I ask is I'm going to try to simulate this dial from values known to us from other dials etc if possible.

2. Any idea what this dial is and its function?

3. The Salvo Angle - here appears to use a 0 to 25 degree angle for both Port and starboard - How did this work compared to SH3 implementation of just 0 to 20degrees?

Thanks Guys

Last edited by reaper7; 08-23-11 at 06:19 PM.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 04:11 PM   #2
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334
Uploads: 0

1 looks like the AOB angle. It is used and can be set in SH3.

2 looks like the target speed dial. It is also settable in SH3.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 06:11 PM   #3
reaper7
sim2reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
1 looks like the AOB angle. It is used and can be set in SH3.

2 looks like the target speed dial. It is also settable in SH3.

Hi Sharbit, thanks for reply.

No 1 is definitely the Impact or Track Angle - but I'm unsure as to how it works, anyone got a diagram of what this does in relation to the Torpedo Solution.

The Target Speed is the dial between 1 and 3 with the Torpedo speed Inner dial. I'm unable to find any info on the bottom left dial (2 in pic) it appears to go from 0 to 60 and have a continuous rotation needle.
Old 08-23-11, 06:25 PM   #4
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Salute Reaper. Great to see you still at it.Are you still building new ships?
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 03:11 AM   #5
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post

No 1 is definitely the Impact or Track Angle - but I'm unsure as to how it works, anyone got a diagram of what this does in relation to the Torpedo Solution.

hi Reaper7 ,

the impact angle is calculated through two angles the (Aob at bearing 0) and the (Gyroangle)

in the case that is drawn at the following pic we have : (Aob at bearing 0) = (Gyroangle) + (Impact Angle)

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 04:35 AM   #6
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Sweet stuff Makman Your drawing works perfectly to illustrate.
Old 08-24-11, 01:21 PM   #7
reaper7
sim2reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Salute Reaper. Great to see you still at it.Are you still building new ships?
Hi Mate, still around alright , working on a longterm project at the moment.
Deatils will be a few months away yet though.
On a bit of a break from ship building - Have one 1/2 finished and hope to get back to it soon.
Also trying to get my SH5 Mod finished up too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
hi Reaper7 ,

the impact angle is calculated through two angles the (Aob at bearing 0) and the (Gyroangle)

in the case that is drawn at the following pic we have : (Aob at bearing 0) = (Gyroangle) + (Impact Angle)

Excellent Makman, that explains it perfectly, true what they say 'A picture paints a thousand words'.
Easier than I expected using the law of the triangle being 'all angles equal 180' the Impact angle can easily be worked out.
Cheers Mate, I'll see whats possible to get this working in SH3.
Old 08-24-11, 02:30 PM   #8
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Reaper you TEaSE............. Its ok though.So this dial be useful in telling you if the torpedo will hit in the recommended angles.....pretty kool.
Old 08-24-11, 04:58 PM   #9
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Maybe this old thread helps:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=178147
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 05:12 PM   #10
reaper7
sim2reality

Cheers LGN1. Another question is there a list of Dial types anywhere ?
I'm looking in the dial.cfg file

eg:

Type=1; DIAL_SPEED
Type=4; DIAL_THROTTLE
Type=42; DIAL_TGT_ANG_ON_BOW

There is no dial type 2 or 3 and many more are not listed.
Anyway to find out if all values are hardcoded and if so can these be used?
I'm trying to find a dial type thats not used ingame to use for the Impact Angle Dial.
Old 08-25-11, 02:55 AM   #11
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Cheers LGN1. Another question is there a list of Dial types anywhere ?
I'm looking in the dial.cfg file

eg:

Type=1; DIAL_SPEED
Type=4; DIAL_THROTTLE
Type=42; DIAL_TGT_ANG_ON_BOW

There is no dial type 2 or 3 and many more are not listed.
Anyway to find out if all values are hardcoded and if so can these be used?
I'm trying to find a dial type thats not used ingame to use for the Impact Angle Dial.
actually ,there is type 2 and 3 dials (type 2 = port engine RPM , type 3 = starb engine RPM).
ALL types (till type 80) for dials exists.you can view the whole list of them and what each one does through the super tool s3d . open ,for example,the
NSS_Uboat7_CR .sim (in interior folder) and go at a dial and clic on its type (look at pic).
see all types listed there (with each 'number' in front and what it does after) . the dial for track angle is the type 66 BUT the code for this dial doesn't exist in sh3's code (must be added in order to make this dial type fuctional for sh3)

Old 08-25-11, 11:49 AM   #12
reaper7
sim2reality

Quote:
actually ,there is type 2 and 3 dials (type 2 = port engine RPM , type 3 = starb engine RPM).
ALL types (till type 80) for dials exists.you can view the whole list of them and what each one does through the super tool s3d . open ,for example,the
NSS_Uboat7_CR .sim (in interior folder) and go at a dial and clic on its type (look at pic).
see all types listed there (with each 'number' in front and what it does after) . the dial for track angle is the type 66 BUT the code for this dial doesn't exist in sh3's code (must be added in order to make this dial type fuctional for sh3)

Makman, you are a wealth of information. Thankyou my friend
So the dial type is there already, I'm going to see what I can achieve with this new info.
I believe I will be able to bring you a working solution to the non existent Impact Angle dial in Sh3
Still its just theory in my head for the moment - but using what I've learnt with my current project I think I can make it reality

EDIT:

Well no go on my Idea - Can't get the needle to rotate at all. Seems that the dialtype has no memory location assigned to that variable, never mind not having code for it.
So no way for me to hook onto its value, even if I got code working to calculate the Impact Angle - there's nowhere to put the value for the dial to read

Last edited by reaper7; 08-25-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 05:19 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Judging by the German text labels (I'm of Dutch origin so it's not my native language, but I think it's enough):

1 is indeed impact-angle (auftreffwinkel= angle of collision)

2 is some sort of vernier dial (feinanzeige= fine display) of an angle that represents a bearing, or AOB. Hitman I think once said that (based on his extensive studies) "lage" was used often in both contexts of bearing on ownship, or AOB on the target. I'm betting on AOB. The dictionary that I have at home translates "Lage" as: situation, location, pose, position, state. The dial to the right of 2 seems to be the AOB dial (Gegner = opponent ), as the 2 dials on the far right can be clearly translated to be to be the crude and fine dial for the target bearing (Schiffspeilung= Ship bearing ) Dial 2 shows a value of 30, which could mean 30 minutes of arc, or halve of a degree. The same fractional value as is shown on the small inset dial of "Gegnerlage". 4.5 degrees starboard AOB ("Bug Rechts" = Bow Right)

3 seems to me to be the gyro angle or lead angle. (Schusswinkel= shooting angle) It makes no sense if this is the spread angle. How is a red (port) spread of 2 degrees any different than a green (starboard) spread. Spreads are symmetric. Besides ...

The 2 dials below 3 are probably the torpedo course (Torp. Kurs) and spread dial ("spreizung" means spread, and my dictionary says "Fächer" means "fan") But "Kurs" means course, so it is probably the "True" shooting bearing. IOW, there might be a compass correction involved that is hard to notice on this dial.
Old 08-26-11, 03:11 AM   #14
makman94
Hellas

Quote:

EDIT:

Well no go on my Idea - Can't get the needle to rotate at all. Seems that the dialtype has no memory location assigned to that variable, never mind not having code for it.
So no way for me to hook onto its value, even if I got code working to calculate the Impact Angle - there's nowhere to put the value for the dial to read
read the OP of the thread that LGN1 pointed to you .

the code for track angle is allready written in sh4's and in sh5's code . as i am not familiar with executables at all, i am only guessing here that MAYBE all that is needed is to copy the code lines for TrackAngle from sh4's code to sh3's code (if possible).
this dial (track angle) is ONLY for reading (i mean that player is not interacting with it) so MAYBE the code will not be so extensive or hard to locate.

just guessing...no idea at all about the code

Old 08-26-11, 08:29 AM   #15
reaper7
sim2reality

Quote:
read the OP of the thread that LGN1 pointed to you .

the code for track angle is allready written in sh4's and in sh5's code . as i am not familiar with executables at all, i am only guessing here that MAYBE all that is needed is to copy the code lines for TrackAngle from sh4's code to sh3's code (if possible).
this dial (track angle) is ONLY for reading (i mean that player is not interacting with it) so MAYBE the code will not be so extensive or hard to locate.

just guessing...no idea at all about the code
Hi Mate, afraid that is out of my area of expertise - That would be a job for a Reverse Engineer in Code (H.Sie or TDW would be the experts there).
But I have another idea, going to test now to see if it works

Last edited by reaper7; 08-26-11 at 08:47 AM.