SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-18, 12:48 PM   #1
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1
Default Can you get mirrored contacts on the sphere arrays?

A couple of times I'm sure I've been seeing mirrored contacts on non-towed arrays. They don't necessarily appear on the broadband, I picked them up on the narrow band on a reciprocal bearing from the real contact. I couldn't see any frequencies by eye, but the classification was coming though for two contacts that were on my other beam. The only explanation I could come up with was the presence of a number of terrain features at around 10nm off my starboard beam were reflecting a weak return back from the contacts on my port beam. These features are pretty hard to spot accurately on the map but dragging the cursor around there looked to be several changes of around 1200ft. So I guess this is a thing then...? Or my games bugged..
Jace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 03:38 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Have you tried to change any of your sensors recently?
I'm not saying you did, but if you tried to add some dB gain to your dome and hull arrays by using some values from the towed array, I could see accidentally setting a bit somewhere that makes those sensors act like a towed array.

FWIW, I'm not against playing around with some edits to see what happens. This was how we figured out what was going on in the exe file and flight dynamics files for different versions of Flight Sim (back in the day).
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 10:14 PM   #3
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

The only sensors I've played with are the generic AI passives, LF Pas and MF/HF Pas which aren't used on playable subs. I've adjusted a few mast positions. I just tried a quick test mission in Reinforced Alert (which I haven't altered or tweaked etc) and the same thing happened. Its only on the narrowband search the classification system pops up with a contact on the opposite beam again on the sphere array - it happened in both boats I tested: 688i and SSN21 you cant see any frequencies, there is nothing on the broadband at that bearing its just the auto classification system that detects it.

I just reinstalled and it happens in vanilla unmodded also. I'm not sure it matters greatly, but I have in the past dragged my cursor along the narrow band search panel to spot contacts, sometimes assuming that if the classification system offers up something even when I don't see any frequencies, then something is there... I guess I can't assume that.

EDIT:
So after a bit more testing.. its nothing to do with the undersea terrain. Seems like a bug maybe. You need to have your towed array streamed for it to happen. When you select the sphere array its classification system will detect mirrored but no freq's are displayed. If you withdraw your towed array it stops and the classification system behaves as it should. Its as if the classification system is tied to all arrays simultaneously.

Last edited by Jace11; 05-14-18 at 08:24 AM.
Jace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 03:43 AM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Was it a "master" contact you were tracking that also used the towed array?

Either way, you shouldn't see a mirror contact unless you have only the towed array selected.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote