nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

General Lee, I have no brigade!
Old 07-03-14, 12:53 PM   #212
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default A myth of the Lost Cause-not really Pickett's Charge!

^That's Armistead in the picture not Pickett!" As soldiers straggled back to the Confederate lines along Seminary Ridge, Lee feared a Union counteroffensive and tried to rally his center; Pickett was inconsolable. When Lee told Pickett to rally his division for the defense, Pickett allegedly replied, "General Lee, I have no division." Pickett's official report for the battle has never been found. It is rumored that Gen. Lee rejected it for its bitter negativity and demanded that it be rewritten, and an updated version was never filed." Not without a (very) dry wit of his own as other post war Confederates commented on the war: Asked by reporters why Pickett's Charge failed, Pickett frequently replied: "I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it." General Lee lost 23 battle flags in Pickett's Charge -- more than he had lost in the previous 14 months combined. IMHO: it should have been called Longstreet's Charge; but he successfully shifted responsibility-and blame-to his artillery chief, Col Alexander, and wrote better postwar accounts in defense of his actions as R.E.Lee's "old War Horse"... Pickett, who wrote none, died in 1875. In the end, the man who knew best, said it best, to returning Gen. Cadmus Wilcox: "It has all been my fault"- R.E. Lee http://www.mwclarkson.com/2013/07/the-man-who-lost-gettysburg/ from the 300' Cyclorama painting at Gettysburg Museum-the 'High water mark of the Confederacy' at the wall 6/3/1863. A day's simple plan-the flank attacks having failed-break their center:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 04:33 AM   #213
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default "Lafayette We are here"!

1917: On July 4, U.S. troops make their first public display of WWI, marching through the streets of Paris to the grave of the Marquis de Lafayette, a French aristocrat and general of the American Revolutionary army. 1826: Presidents John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die. 1831: President James Monroe, the last US president who was a Revolutionary veteran dies...they go in threes on the fourth?! At least his Doctrine endures!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 07-04-14, 04:42 AM   #214
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

836 - Pactum Sicardi, peace between the Principality of Benevento and the Duchy of Naples

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 12:33 PM   #215
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Born on the 4th of July

1802: the United State Military Academy at West Point opens; 1863: The Siege of Vicksburg ends: "The Father of Waters (Mississippi) flows unvexed once more"; 1872: Calvin Coolidge the 30th president gets it right and is BORN-Unlike some presidents, “Silent Cal” Coolidge wasn’t known for making memorable statements. The most famous quote associated with him is a line about business being the business of America.
That line is often cited “The business of America is business” or “The business of the American people is business.” In fact, both of those versions are misquotes. They aren’t radically different from what he actually said, which was “the chief business of the American people is business.” Yeah BBY-'Monkey business"! 1960; the fifty star flag recognizing Hawaiian statehood is unfurled- President Clinton later issues an official apology to the Native Hawaiians in 1993 for our annexation in 1893- essentially pineapple fueled 'monkey business'. At least President Grover Cleveland was an outspoken anti-imperialist and thought Americans had acted shamefully in Hawaii. He withdrew the annexation treaty from the Senate and ordered an investigation into potential wrong doings but the business of Manifest Destiny overruled... and I need a good vacation spot (Kauai) to escape all these California tourists!

Old 07-05-14, 12:50 AM   #216
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Default July 5

1806 - A Spanish army repelled the British during their attempt to retake Buenos Aires, Argentina.

1940 - During World War II, Britain and the Vichy government in France broke diplomatic relations.

1941 - German troops reached the Dnieper River in the Soviet Union.

1943 - The battle of Kursk began as German tanks attack the Soviet salient. It was the largest tank battle in history.
Old 07-05-14, 06:17 AM   #217
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1295 - Scotland and France form an alliance, the beginnings of the Auld Alliance, against England.

Old 07-06-14, 12:12 AM   #218
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Default July 6

1483 - King Richard III of England was crowned.

1699 - Captain William Kidd, the pirate, was captured in Boston, MA and deported back to England.

1777 - British forces captured Fort Ticonderoga during the American Revolution.

1917 - During World War I, Arab forces led by T.E. Lawrence captured the port of Aqaba from the Turks.

1942 - Diarist Anne Frank and her family took refuge from the Nazis in Amsterdam.
Old 07-06-14, 01:06 AM   #219
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Politcs, death & sixgun sangfroid

1535: Sir Thomas More is executed for treason for failing to sign Henry VIII's Act of Supremacy. At one point Lord Chancellor of England: A man of character, More had charm, unfailing humor, piercing wit, and a fearlessness that enabled him to jest even on the scaffold. His Utopia (published in Latin) is a picture of an ideal state founded entirely on reason. His wit is immortal: at the scaffold he said to the attending officer: "You must help me to go up (the steps to the block) as for my coming down, I may shift for myself!" 1944: Georges Mandel, France's minister of colonies and vehement opponent of the armistice with Germany, is executed in a wood outside Paris by collaborationist French. Mandel escaprd to Morocco, where he was arrested and sent back to France and imprisoned. He handed over to the Germans, and put in concentration camps in Oranienburg and Buchenwald. On July 4, 1944, he was shipped back to Paris, where the French paramilitary pro-Vichy "Milice", took him out to a wood and shot him. As he was being handed over to his countrymen by the German SS, he said: "To die is nothing. What is sad is to die without seeing the liberation of the country and the restoration of the Republic." 1998: Leonard Frank Sly passes away. AKA Roy Rogers set the standard for the Code of the West, not the least of which was staying married to Dale Evans! The star of 87 movies and a TV show; with his band, The Sons of the Pioneers: what all-American boy didn't have Tumblin' Tumbleweeds, Ghostriders in the Sky and a Palomino steed in his own fantasy inventory: 'Happy Trails' to you' ol' Pard!

Old 07-06-14, 04:46 AM   #220
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1189 - Richard the Lionheart is crowned King of England.

Old 07-06-14, 07:11 PM   #221
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Men of "many parts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
1483 - King Richard III of England was crowned.

1699 - Captain William Kidd, the pirate, was captured in Boston, MA and deported back to England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1189 - Richard the Lionheart is crowned King of England.

Poor Captain Kidd was wrongfully executed in a political trial because he could not produce the above privateer documents (Conveniently misplaced for over 200 years) at at his London trial without which he was deemed an outright pirate; after which he was executed by hanging and then hung in chains, tarred, in a Thames estuary for three years, until nothing but bones were left. He should be granted a posthumous pardon. He never betrayed his political financial backers and maintained his innocence to the end. Richard III was just rediscovered, hastily buried, this year in Leicester-battle scarred, spine curved (scoliosis-Shakespeare got it right) and still bound at the wrists. His lower legs are missing from a previous excavation, He will reburied as befits an annointed king of England. Richard "the Lionheart" is or was buried in three places: Richard's heart was buried at Rouen in Normandy, the entrails in Chalus (where he died), and the rest of his body was buried at the feet of his father at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou...the family plot if you will...Richard I was never a big-hearted guy-even less so now... <the heart of the Lionheart autopsied for poison two yaers ago-no poison found.

Old 07-07-14, 11:50 AM   #222
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1124 - Tyrus surrenders to Crusaders

Old 07-07-14, 11:54 AM   #223
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1865: "Three men and a Lady" The lady is usually right!? in this case also the first woman executed in the US as one of the Lincoln Assassination Conspirators. Photographed by Scotsman Alexander Gardiner. 1919: The first transcontinental Motor Convoy in which a US Army convoy crossed the United States departs Washington D.C. The trip ended September 6 1919 in San Francisco! Thank God for the interstate! I've done it (with a co-driver in '78) in big-rigs in less than 3 days-Gotta have fresh strawberries in the Big Apple! 1937: the Second Sino-Japanese War goes full scale as Imperial Japanese forces attack the Marco Polo Bridge in Beijing-WW II starts! After the Pearl Harbor Attack in 1941, the war merged into the greater conflict of WWII as a major front of what is broadly known as the Pacific War. The Second Sino-Japanese War was the largest Asian war in the 20th century. It also made up more than 50% of the casualties in the Pacific War if the 1937–1941 period is taken into account.?!! First built in 1189 and in its present form since 1698- the first shots 'heard round the world' of WWII were fired here 77 years ago... the bridge on the Yongding River is a landmark and houses a war museum at one end. The skirmish is well remembered in China!

Old 07-08-14, 05:46 AM   #224
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

951 - Paris is founded

Old 07-08-14, 12:46 PM   #225
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Good kings and Commodores -bad Presidents and fleeting success

1663: King Charles II grants a Royal Charter to Rhode island(success) 1776: Col. John Nixon reads the Declaration of Independence publically in front of Independence Hall, Philadelphia for the first time (relative success) 1853: Commodore Matthew Perry arrives in Yedo Bay, Japan to initiate diplomatic and trade relations with Japan. I own two Subaru Forresters and two Toyotas and have loved a Honda '76 CVCC...and sushi(big success) 1919: President Woodrow Wilson arrives home from the Versailles Peace Conference to big welcome in the 'Big Apple'(failure) 1947: Demolition begins to make way for the United Nations Headquarters in the 'Big Apple'- should have been Bin Laden's preferred target! (Failure) 1950: President Harry S. Truman appoints General Douglas MacArthur...Commander in Chief of United Nations Forces in Korea-sacking him 9 months later (failure) Versailles was a truce, The DMZ in Korea is a truce... Both haunt us to this day from the middleast to the orient! PS: 1889: First publication of the Wall Street Journal in the 'Big Apple"(success) Any financial decisions made by me ba$ed on it...!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-08-14 at 01:28 PM.