SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-10, 11:28 AM   #1
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

[REL]MaxOptics IV

This modification changes the magnification of several stations to give a larger image when viewing. This should aid in ship identification, Stadimeter use when using manual targeting and Deck Gun operations. By no means are these views considered "realistic" however this is a game and to better play this game these magnifications do help. I've made this as a combination of mods that are useful in game play aids and assists for those that have weak eye's as I have.

Both Periscopes, the Binocular, TBT, and Deck Gun views are magnified for easier viewing. Zoom levels were added to the Periscopes, Binocular, and TBT. A larger bearing compass was added to the Periscopes and TBT. The view "port hole" was enlarged for the Periscopes as well. I've increased the size of the HUD dials (compass, telegraph, rudder) for easier viewing, and added a modification that lightens the night sky for night viewing. I've also changed the in-game menu images simply because I wanted to.

I've decided it was time to put this particular thread together because I had some of these modifications strung out over the forums. This thread will put together the most current MaxOptics mods compatible with the currently used "super mods" as well as covering the older (yet widely used) 1.4 patched SH4 versions.

MaxOptics IV for SH4 1.5

MaxOptics IV for TMO 1.9 Compatible with the 25012010 patch

MaxOptics IV for TMO 2.0

MaxOptics IV for RFB 2.0 Compatible with the 23April2010

MaxOptics IV for GFO 1.1

For SH4 patched to ONLY a 1.4 version

Clayp's Optics for SH4 1.4

Clayp's Optics for RFB 1.4

Clayp's Optics for TMO

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-16-10 at 11:08 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 01:30 PM   #2
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

good job !

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 03:12 PM   #3
Karbo
Sailor man

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

Thanks alot CapnScurvy
Karbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 06:25 PM   #4
Hydra
Mate

Downloads: 149

Thank you Captain, my eyes appreciate it!
Old 03-18-10, 03:39 AM   #5
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52

Thanks or this. I will give it a try.
Old 03-18-10, 06:44 AM   #6
haz
A-ganger

Downloads: 1401

I highly recommend..works great
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 07:20 AM   #7
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
I highly recommend..works great
Me too !!

Great work

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 07:31 AM   #8
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

dumb question mabe but do you have 1 for OM and/or OM+KUIB?
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 08:32 AM   #9
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by looney View Post
dumb question mabe but do you have 1 for OM and/or OM+KUIB?
This mod is not compatible with OM.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 06:42 PM   #10
Dave Hansen
Sailor man

Downloads: 38

Thanks...much appreciate the night optics enhancement!
Dave Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 03:46 AM   #11
itman
Seaman

Downloads: 144
Default camera.dat

JSGME says:

Quote:
"Cameras.dat" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0" geändert.
"Cameras.dat" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010" geändert.
"Deck_Gun_3_50.sim" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0" geändert.
"Deck_Gun_3_50.sim" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010" geändert.
"Deck_Gun_4_50.sim" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0" geändert.
"Deck_Gun_4_50.sim" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010" geändert.
"Deck_Gun_5_25.sim" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0" geändert.
"menu_1024_768.ini" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0" geändert.
"Intro_logo_bkg.dds" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0" geändert.
"recognitionmanual.dds" wurde bereits durch "RFB_2.0" geändert
Could I just copy over the files from patch-april or is some more tweaking required?

"wurde bereits durch XXX geändert" translate into allready changed by...

cheers
itman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 10:32 AM   #12
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162

Hi Capn...Cheeky I know but would it be possible to use just the dials, ie compass, telegraph etc on there own ?

Think they are bloomin fantastic
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 04:01 PM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by itman
Could I just copy over the files from patch-april or is some more tweaking required?
This is regards to RFB 2.0 and it's latest patch of 23April2010. I'm afraid more tweaking is required.

I hadn't noticed the latest patch (as of this morning), the base RFB 2.0 post had not yet been updated from the March patch. I did find it further down the thread and checked it out. I see what differences the latest patch makes compared to MaxOptics and I've just about completed a compatible version for it. The camera.dat file has been changed significantly regarding the parameter "Angular Angle". The Angular Angle refers to the general "field of view" of the various stations. In short the latest patch decreases the field of view (what you can see from left to right within a given specific area) which will create a more magnified view if left alone without additional zoom magnification. I've not read the specific reason for the departure from stock or past RFB's modifications, but I'm guessing it may be an attempt to use the Telemeter (hash marks) for their intended purpose at the periscope's and TBT views.

My plan is to release a compatible MaxOptics version, not disturbing the RFB intent and yet still provide an optical supplement that will provide a higher magnification when you want it. A little more testing and I'll release it.

I've been working on a modification to do exactly this same thing (use the Telemeter marks to accurately find range and AoB). The first and foremost task is to have the "view" you use to accurately display what you should be able to measure. I'll admit the stock game is inaccurate in this endeavor. Mainly because mast heights or given ship lengths are wrong for the game to use. That's why I modded the SCAF fix, correcting the various reference point 'heights" the game uses for manual range finding. More importantly, I've been finding views determined by such parameters as Angular Angle are wrong too!! The math just isn't adding up as it should be.

For instance, one degree of angle, at 1000 yards should cover the distance of 52.3 feet, and should do this at ANY magnification. Not so with the stock game. Does RFB? I don't know, and really I'm not looking to correct them if it doesn't. I'm just planning on paddling my own boat and I don't plan to paddle theirs.

Anyway, give me a day or two to complete a compatible version for the latest patch.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 05-06-10, 04:39 AM   #14
itman
Seaman

Downloads: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
... snip alot ...

Anyway, give me a day or two to complete a compatible version for the latest patch.
Thank you. And no need to rush things...

cheers
itman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 07:52 AM   #15
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubster View Post
Hi Capn...Cheeky I know but would it be possible to use just the dials, ie compass, telegraph etc on there own ?

Think they are bloomin fantastic
Well the work was cobbled together from several sources. I used Jimimadrid's dials (I picked his American black faced dials and used one of his German dial rosette to fit within the center after changing its color to match) and tweaked them a bit to fit. I put the red mark on the outer base ring to identify the subs heading. I used a Larger Hud Dials mod which I believe was made by AOTD_MadMax (but I'm not positive of the original creator, it's been too long to remember where I got it. Doing a search comes up blank) to increase the size. I had to tweak it to fit but the original idea wasn't mine. A few small tidbits like the red telegraph handle or the red compass pointer for setting a new course were mine.

The question is, can they be put into a separate mod for use? The short answer is yes of course. The larger problem is, can a casual player keep track of the various mods that are activated through JSGME to not allow one to overwrite another causing a conflict. Take for instance JSGME, in itman's post he has JSGME's warning (be it in Dutch) of a conflict between files JSGME has already changed. If the files are compatible (one was written specifically to overwrite another) there's no problem with the change. If a file is changed just to satisfy it's intended purpose without regard to any other changes, all hell can break loose.

For the ability to have larger dials appear in the Hud the Menu_1024_768.ini file has to be changed. This file tells the game where, what, and how a 2D object gets put unto the screen. Many mods rewrite this file to accomplish it's intended changes. But when one change doesn't include another for the same file (the game will read only the last file that JSGME has activated, that's why the order of activation in JSGME is so important) parts of the first file will be lost. That's why I state in the README for MaxOptics, place the mod after it's intended compatible mod. If I made just a straight "Magnified Hud Dials" mod there's a good chance it will be used with other mods and BAMM, it will conflict with any that changes the Menu_1024_768.ini file.

Long story short, it will save you and me some grief.

Quote: