SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-09, 02:34 AM   #1
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default [REL]WideScreen Mod: First Beta Release (Jan 21, 2009)

January, 21 2009
Wide Screen mod for SH3 open pre beta V1.0
======================================
Mod by Rubini.
Compatible with GWX 2.1/3.0

Credits:
Skwas' S3D tool
GWX team

Usage and actual progress:
This mod allows SH3 to run in a wide screen mode without streched 3D images.
I and others already have tryed to find a way to get this in the past but without any progres until I find the solution some days ago.
In this stage the mod is already useful and ready to be used. Note that for now only (but the more important ones) 3D views are adjusted. All the 2D tgas (loading screens, TDC, masks, etc, etc) yet need to be adjusted folowed by it's needles, text, buttons position, etc. This will be a huge work (but not difficult) that needs a team to work on.
Also the Periscope and Uzo views are yet streched. The Bino view is already adjusted. I only can adjust the Peri/Uzo after we adjust the mask.

Downsides:
1. Event camera will continue streched - I can't find it's camera parameters...if someone knows where it is please contact me (obviously i already looked at EventCameras.dat). Seems that it's hardcoded.
2. Sunhalo only appears at the extrem left part of the screen, no fix until now, besides the majority of DX10 cards have problems with sunhalo even on stock game, linked to the AA/Gama_correction settings.

Files content:
data\library\cameras.dat
data\Interior\NSS_Uboat2\NSS_Uboat2_CR.cam (this is where the type II A/D interior fore camera parameters are)

Installation:
JSGME ready, you can enable it at any point on your campaign. It's totally harmless, if you don't like it just disable using JSGME and continue your game.

============================================

F.A.Q.

How it works?
What make it work is the parameter "Right" at Viewport section on Cameraparams controller, Cameras.dat file. The value range for 16:9 is 1.4 to 1.45. To 16:10 is 1.35 to 1.4. I put them all on 1.4, this way it will work for both 16:9 or 16:10. (original values are set at 1.0)
I also made small cameras' angles adjusts just to fit the new "zoom"aspect of the wide screen mode.

Will work with the HighResolution mod?
Yes, at any resolution!

Do I really need a widescreen monitor to play with this mod?
Yes, obviously...only WS monitors have the physical size with 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.

How the better resolution? How I must adjust my monitor?
1. using the High resolution mod at the exactly resolution of your WS monitor is the best option. (HighResolution mod don't allow to alt tab in some systems and also have some others small issues, it's up to you use it or not)
2. if you don't use HR mode, so you will run at stock 1024x768. Ok just let your WS monitor fulfill the entire visual area and you will have the game in correct WS aspect using this mod. No FPS losses in any way.

Any future mod differences to fit 16:9 or 16:10 WS monitors?
My Sony LCD TV monitor have 1360x768 pixels, physical size in exact 16:9. So i don't know for sure about 16:10...but i guess that it will work out of the box for both without need different set of files.

Future of this WideScreen mod...
Well, I will stop right here if I don't receive help from the experts on menu_1024/texture guys. The work necessary to adjust all that things exposed above is too much for one guy.
I'm also an eye candy freaking guy and the problems with the event camera and sunhalo really annoy me...I almost drop the mod after not find a solution for them...although after have played an entire patrol with the mod enabled I then really becomes very excited with it again.

Last minutes comments:
I just really tested it with a Type IID and with a Type VIIC. I guess that it will work with any uboat. If you tested it with some other uboat, please post here yours observations. This will help a lot.
In the end, this is an open community mod, so, obviously, your feedback (good or not) is absolutely important and necessary!

Have fun!
Rubini.

Links:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jngzyn...een_SH3_V1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/18732044...een_SH3_V1.rar

Last edited by Rubini; 01-21-09 at 04:59 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 02:34 AM   #2
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Here. Look that the tga dials are yet streched. See about in the first post. What is already done is all 3D views. Now we need to finish working on the tgas/tdc, intro, etc. Notice the pics before and after the mod:

Before the mod:

After trhe mod:

before

after

Here a link with more pics:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/otmbo2jmjyg/SH3_WScreen_pics.7z

Last edited by Rubini; 01-19-09 at 04:10 AM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 02:41 AM   #3
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Finally, SH3 will look right on my wide screen monitor.:p COOL!!!
Old 01-19-09, 03:52 AM   #4
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

It sounds very interesting. Can this idea be used for hires playing, not only on widescreen? I use hires patch now for playing 1280x1024 resolution on 19" LCD, but it makes circles oval (ratio 4:3, should be 5:4)?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 04:02 AM   #5
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa
It sounds very interesting. Can this idea be used for hires playing, not only on widescreen? I use hires patch now for playing 1280x1024 resolution on 19" LCD, but it makes circles oval (ratio 4:3, should be 5:4)?
Hi Jaxa,

Yes, it works with any wide screen 16x9 resolution! Stock or using high resolution mod. It´s also possible configurate it to others aspects...but I guess that the 16x9 is most common one, no?

In time...do you had time to try that SMission?
Old 01-19-09, 05:18 AM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Sounds very good but I use my own combo of GWX 1.03, and many single mods, since the menu_1024 ini file is different for each super mod will you be releasing the details so we can mod our own versions?
Thanks.
Edit: Would it be possible just to use a search & replace or maybe easier to edit the guage images, deliberately adjust out of scale?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 11:40 PM   #7
DrCR
Nub

Downloads: 0

Is this the latest version? Just checking.

Enjoyed SH2 way back in the day, and now planning on trying SH3 at long last. Pulling down GWX Gold currently and now looking at this. Any other must-haves?

Thanks,
DrCR

Quote from the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
January, 21 2009
Mod by Rubini.

Links:
DrCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 01:32 AM   #8
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

This mod works with nvidia cards only though.
Welcome to Subsim.

Old 08-21-09, 04:55 AM   #9
ivanDurak
Watch

Downloads: 98

What about ATI cards?
ivanDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 06:49 AM   #10
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

ATI cards do not work!

Old 08-21-09, 11:32 AM   #11
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30
Default Sun/moon squashed vertically

System specs:

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
GeForce 9800 GT
4 gigs RAM
Monitor 1680 x 1050

While the gauges are squashed horizontally (which I know the mod doesn't fix yet), I get the opposite problem with the outside 3D world-there images are squeezed vertically-the sun and moon are ovals, with a vertical major axis-likewise my crew are all skinnier than normal. I am currently driving a type XXI, for what that's worth. I ran the res fix first (confirmed that I set the resolution to the above values in the "d3d9" file before running the res fix, and then I installed this mod). Did I do something wrong?
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 10:47 AM   #12
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Don't get to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
January, 21 2009
Mod by Rubini.

Credits:
Skwas' S3D tool
GWX team

Usage and actual progress:
This mod allows SH3 to run in a wide screen mode without streched 3D images.
I and others already have tryed to find a way to get this in the past but without any progres until I find the solution some days ago.
In this stage the mod is already useful and ready to be used. Note that for now only (but the more important ones) 3D views are adjusted. All the 2D tgas (loading screens, TDC, masks, etc, etc) yet need to be adjusted folowed by it's needles, text, buttons position, etc. This will be a huge work (but not difficult) that needs a team to work on.
Also the Periscope and Uzo views are yet streched. The Bino view is already adjusted. I only can adjust the Peri/Uzo after we adjust the mask.

Downsides:
1. Event camera will continue streched - I can't find it's camera parameters...if someone knows where it is please contact me (obviously i already looked at EventCameras.dat). Seems that it's hardcoded.
2. Sunhalo only appears at the extrem left part of the screen, no fix until now, besides the majority of DX10 cards have problems with sunhalo even on stock game, linked to the AA/Gama_correction settings.

Files content:
data\library\cameras.dat
data\Interior\NSS_Uboat2\NSS_Uboat2_CR.cam (this is where the type II A/D interior fore camera parameters are)

Installation:
JSGME ready, you can enable it at any point on your campaign. It's totally harmless, if you don't like it just disable using JSGME and continue your game.

============================================

F.A.Q.

How it works?
What make it work is the parameter "Right" at Viewport section on Cameraparams controller, Cameras.dat file. The value range for 16:9 is 1.4 to 1.45. To 16:10 is 1.35 to 1.4. I put them all on 1.4, this way it will work for both 16:9 or 16:10. (original values are set at 1.0)
I also made small cameras' angles adjusts just to fit the new "zoom"aspect of the wide screen mode.

Will work with the HighResolution mod?
Yes, at any resolution!

Do I really need a widescreen monitor to play with this mod?
Yes, obviously...only WS monitors have the physical size with 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.

How the better resolution? How I must adjust my monitor?
1. using the High resolution mod at the exactly resolution of your WS monitor is the best option. (HighResolution mod don't allow to alt tab in some systems and also have some others small issues, it's up to you use it or not)
2. if you don't use HR mode, so you will run at stock 1024x768. Ok just let your WS monitor fulfill the entire visual area and you will have the game in correct WS aspect using this mod. No FPS losses in any way.

Any future mod differences to fit 16:9 or 16:10 WS monitors?
My Sony LCD TV monitor have 1360x768 pixels, physical size in exact 16:9. So i don't know for sure about 16:10...but i guess that it will work out of the box for both without need different set of files.

Future of this WideScreen mod...
Well, I will stop right here if I don't receive help from the experts on menu_1024/texture guys. The work necessary to adjust all that things exposed above is too much for one guy.
I'm also an eye candy freaking guy and the problems with the event camera and sunhalo really annoy me...I almost drop the mod after not find a solution for them...although after have played an entire patrol with the mod enabled I then really becomes very excited with it again.

Last minutes comments:
I just really tested it with a Type IID and with a Type VIIC. I guess that it will work with any uboat. If you tested it with some other uboat, please post here yours observations. This will help a lot.
In the end, this is an open community mod, so, obviously, your feedback (good or not) is absolutely important and necessary!

Have fun!
Rubini.

Links:

Hi mates

I found this mod and thought it must be an outstanding mod so I extracted it an enabled through JSGME.
Now, the 3D screens look OK. The other ones get stretched and as before they look OK first when I go back to 4:3.
I've tried to find out what possibly can be wrong but...
I run SH III stock, GWX 3.0 and JSGME

Anyone?

Last edited by Silent Steel; 12-12-09 at 12:06 PM.
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 08:44 PM   #13
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Hi, if you read through the thread (a bit long though) you'd see that it will not work with ATI cards!

Old 12-13-09, 01:51 AM   #14
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Hi, if you read through the thread (a bit long though) you'd see that it will not work with ATI cards!

Thanks mate,
Still, since i run an nVidia 8800 GTX I don't get it.
Anyhow thanks for the tip!
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 02:05 AM   #15
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Hmm, well it should work then, most that have tried this mod with nvidia cards got it working ok maybe someone will assist.