SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-18, 03:41 PM   #1
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Algeria are interested in floating nuclear power plant

Russia Just Sent a Floating Nuclear Power Plant Out to Sea
The ship is being called a “floating Chernobyl” by environmental activists.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...russia-siberia

Quote:
The vessel’s actual name is the Akademik Lomonosov (after the Russian polymath who discovered the atmosphere of Venus) and it doesn’t contain its own propulsion system, so the nuclear barge must be towed by smaller boats. The power plant on board consists of two-nuclear reactors capable of delivering a combined 70 MW of power, approximately enough for a city of 200,000 people.
Quote:
Originally, the Akademik Lomonosov was meant to be loaded with nuclear fuel and tested in St. Petersburg, but these plans were abandoned after Norway and Finland put pressure on Russia to load the uranium fuel elsewhere. Greenpeace has expressed concerns with putting a nuclear power plant to sea. Rosatom is planning a production line to mass produce these floating reactors for sale to other countries.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 11:04 AM   #2
ChrisTayeb
Watch

Downloads: 13

Are you sure about Indonesia in that list, cause I live in Indonesia and never heard anything about it ???

Last edited by ChrisTayeb; 05-22-18 at 06:47 PM.
ChrisTayeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 11:23 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default A FLOATING REACTOR IN 'THE RING OF FIRE??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTayeb View Post
Are you sure about Indonesia in that list, cause I live in Indonesia and never hears anything about it ???
Quote:
The 1958-established National Atomic Energy Agency (Badan Tenaga Nuklir Nasional, BATAN) wants to build an experimental nuclear power reactor at Serpong, the site of its largest multipurpose research reactor, and it continues to assess its options. In early 2015, BATAN signed a contract to build and test a pebble-bed HTGR at Serpong with a consortium of Russian and Indonesian companies led by NUKEM Technologies. And, in August 2016, BATAN pushed on with its nuclear ambitions, signing a cooperation agreement with China Nuclear Engineering Corp., looking to develop small HTGRs in Kalimantan and Sulawesi by 2027. BATAN also has agreements with Russia’s Rosatom to develop a floating nuclear power plant that could electrify its smaller inhabited islands.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-g-n/indonesia.aspx THIS COULD GET INTERESTING WHEN A VOLCANO SUCH AS SON-OF-KRAKATOA CURRENTLY WARMING UP, GOES UP AGAIN; SAY A LEVEL 6+ ON THE VULCANOLOGY SCALE INDEX AND GENERATES A SUNAMI... https://www.indonesia-investments.com/business/risks/natural-disasters/item243? < I AM IN THE IMAGE OF GOD....AND GOD IS A PESSIMIST!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-18, 07:13 PM   #4
ChrisTayeb
Watch

Downloads: 13
Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-g-n/indonesia.aspx THIS COULD GET INTERESTING WHEN A VOLCANO SUCH AS SON-OF-KRAKATOA CURRENTLY WARMING UP, GOES UP AGAIN; SAY A LEVEL 6+ ON THE VULCANOLOGY SCALE INDEX AND GENERATES A SUNAMI... https://www.indonesia-investments.com/business/risks/natural-disasters/item243? < I AM IN THE IMAGE OF GOD....AND GOD IS A PESSIMIST!
I was aware of the Badan Pengawas Tenaga Nuklir (BAPETEN) and BATAN being involved in nuclear power plant research but in relation to those floating "chernobyl" HTGR I had no idea about it.
It's a bit scary cause for what I know the local PLN (State owned Electrical Power Company) have difficulty in providing efficient service with coal and diesel centrals, just have to see how many times a month we get power outages, so for them to go on and manage nuclear stuff, damn!!!
And to top this onerous stupidity seriously financially they are plenty of more important issues to solve here, save dealing with nuclear powered plants, and the eventual volcanic activity in some regions...
I hardly believe this would ever happen anyway, cause to know well about the economic situation here I doubt the government to ever have the ressources for these energy agencies to produce significant results and sustain a continuous development for a nuclear program.
ChrisTayeb is offline   Reply With Quote