SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-08, 01:46 AM   #31
jimmie
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hehe, when I was in the University there were already relatively affordable scientific calculators so I never had been taught sliderules. I remember my father kept one (proabaly henmi) in his desk but he didn't tell me how to use it, either. We had lecutres of abacus in elm school, tho (forgot completely and can't operate at all now).

Thanks for the link. I'd love to have a circular one.
(OT, upon visiting the site, I was actually caught by the oscilloscope...
Useful only for hobby purpose in my current life I can't justify even the second hands)
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 11:59 AM   #32
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
Hehe, when I was in the University there were already relatively affordable scientific calculators so I never had been taught sliderules. I remember my father kept one (proabaly henmi) in his desk but he didn't tell me how to use it, either. We had lecutres of abacus in elm school, tho (forgot completely and can't operate at all now).

Thanks for the link. I'd love to have a circular one.
(OT, upon visiting the site, I was actually caught by the oscilloscope...
Useful only for hobby purpose in my current life I can't justify even the second hands)
I remember fooling around with one my dad had back in the early 1970's. I couldn't figure out how you would measure anything with it!

SHIII is what led me into the wonderful world of mechanical calculation.
Old 01-19-08, 10:16 PM   #33
klh
Ensign

Downloads: 200
Default Version 2 is now available

I have posted an expanded and improved version of the Angriffscheibe Handbuch. Find the link at the top of the thread, or on my filefront page.

This version includes more examples, is formatted to be printed into a booklet, and incorporates some corrections (special thanks to Joe and Eric).

Please leave any feedback you have, especially if you find any errors.
klh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 10:32 PM   #34
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Downloading, thanks for your work. I've just read twice the 1st version, so should be quite easy to see the difference at once.

Version 3 must have animated pictures!
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:59 AM   #35
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

OK, I just quickly took a look at it, looks good! Can't wait to actually try it out, especially the lead angle/zero gyro method. That will come in handy if we ever get a WWI Silent Hunter (Don't know about Shells of Fury).
Old 01-20-08, 10:23 AM   #36
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

You can do it in SH3 if you turn off the TDC and set the speed to 0, then the gyro angle can be controlled directly by rotating the bearing to target dial in the TDC.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:50 PM   #37
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman
You can do it in SH3 if you turn off the TDC and set the speed to 0, then the gyro angle can be controlled directly by rotating the bearing to target dial in the TDC.
Oh, I know. There was a thread seems like several decafortnights ago about how to do that.

I haven't done it lately, but I did do it back when I first started manual targeting.
Old 01-21-08, 08:31 PM   #38
ejhawk56
Seaman

Thanks klh for this nice updated manual. Very professional looking! (as was the first edition). Your simple but detailed approach has spiked my interest in taking the time to really learn this fine tool. Printing it off tonight as it will have a permanent spot on the shelf next to my U boat Commander's Handbook.

Still hope to see a nice supplemental "Angriffscheibe Workbook" to nail home all the examples in your handbook for us aspiring Kaleuns wanting to take it to the next level in immersion.

Eric
ejhawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 08:44 PM   #39
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Very nice work klh, and thanks for permitting me to bundle it with the U-jagd tools 1.3 mod.

Much obliged
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
Old 01-22-08, 08:26 AM   #40
klh
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhawk56
Still hope to see a nice supplemental "Angriffscheibe Workbook" to nail home all the examples in your handbook for us aspiring Kaleuns wanting to take it to the next level in immersion.
I appreciate the compliments. I'll definitely consider putting together some worksheets similar to what an aspiring Kaleun might use in sub school. It's fun to work on things like that when I'm away from my home PC and can't actually play.
Old 01-22-08, 08:28 AM   #41
klh
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman
Very nice work klh, and thanks for permitting me to bundle it with the U-jagd tools 1.3 mod.

Much obliged
You're welcome! Glad to work with you.
Old 01-22-08, 02:50 PM   #42
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I finally made my own 'hardcopy' version of the KM Angriffscheibe yesterday from Hitman's files. Although Joegrundman and OLC put one also in their mods, there's nothing better than holding one in your hands and using it, IMHO.

I have a question about one of the pointers. On the side with the compass wheels there is the pointer used for setting scope bearing, IIRC "Angriff kurs". (attack course, or perhaps attack bearing) On it are 2 symbols, one on either end of the pointer. The text "Vorh. Bug" on one side indicates it has to do with the bow (of Uboot or target i don't know), and the other with the stern "Vorh. Heck". Does anybody have an idea how both symbols/texts fit into the use of these disks. When should one use the bow-side as scope bearing, and when the other. I suspect it has to do with bow and stern torpedo shots. But I can't quite figure it out.

Something in the handbuch/manual v2 I would like to make a remark about. Page 9, Example 3 Sorry, I couldn't make a good copy of that page, provided text only to show what it's about. Check the manual for uboot-target drawing.
Quote:
1. Place the A disc with 180° at the top.
2. Turn the B disc until your true course (195°) is aligned with the 180° triangle mark on disc A.
3. Move the transparent D rotor to the target’s bearing (135°) on the A disc.
4. Rotate the C disc so it intersects the D transparent pointer at the estimated AOB (30° port).
5. Read the target's course from the B disc where the C disc index points. The target’s course is 180°.
6. To find your perpendicular intercept course read where the perpendicular line on the C disc points to the B disc. Since the target is off our starboard (right) side, then read the intercept course from the green line. You should come right to intercept course 270° true.

Note: If you wish to run an intercept course for a stern shot, then read the opposite side of disc C. In this case, turn left to heading 90° true.
The way I see it is much simpler. In this situation it is most economical to shoot at the target's port beam (left 90 deg AOB, red side) with a bow shot, like the manual says. If you look closely at the yellow middle (true north) disk you see a clockwise course scale on the outside and a reverse course (counter-clockwise) on the inside of it. This inside (reverse) course scale is right next to the 'Lage' disk. So to hit a target at any desired AOB with bow torpedo's you turn to the course on the reverse compass that it is aligned with. Red 90 is aligned with 270 deg. Red 45 AOB for something like a magnetic shot would be course 315 in this case. (assuming you are ahead far enough for that) See what I mean? It is slightly different as meant in your step 6 and the note below. You shouldn't have to look at the green side if you want to hit the red side.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 07:06 PM   #43
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

In the early version of the templates for that tool there was a silght error in the location of the two ship images labelled Vorh. Heck and Vorh. Bug, as the tool wasn't yet fully understood by us at subsim. Later Hitman managed to obtain the actual KM manual for the tool, and since then has shared how to use it with any who ask.These two features are intended to interact with the Vorhalt arm, that is the funny shaped wheel. The locations of the two boat images should be such that the short tails on each boat will neatly indicate a position on the Vorhalt wheel.Once you have an intercept course, and have gathered your necesssary data, you use slide rules to calculate the necessary lead angle (vorhalt) to hit the target. You then set the vorhalt arm to show the AOB of the target at the moment of firing. You then set the bearing indicator to show the correct lead angle on the vorhalt arm, taking into account whether it is a Bow (Bug) or Stern (Heck) shot, and read off the opposite side of the arm the course that you should follow to be able to shoot the target with a 000 gyro angle. Alternatively the difference between your course at the moment of firing and the indicated lead angle course is the gyro angle you should use
Old 01-22-08, 09:49 PM   #44
ejhawk56
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhawk56
I appreciate the compliments. I'll definitely consider putting together some worksheets similar to what an aspiring Kaleun might use in sub school. It's fun to work on things like that when I'm away from my home PC and can't actually play.
Will be looking forward to this! Time to make myself a wheel to do some serious studying with. The old brain is taking longer to absorb stuff than it use to

I'm hooked. It's like a game within a game.
ejhawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 07:15 AM   #45
klh
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces
The way I see it is much simpler. In this situation it is most economical to shoot at the target's port beam (left 90 deg AOB, red side) with a bow shot, like the manual says. If you look closely at the yellow middle (true north) disk you see a clockwise course scale on the outside and a reverse course (counter-clockwise) on the inside of it. This inside (reverse) course scale is right next to the 'Lage' disk. So to hit a target at any desired AOB with bow torpedo's you turn to the course on the reverse compass that it is aligned with. Red 90 is aligned with 270 deg. Red 45 AOB for something like a magnetic shot would be course 315 in this case. (assuming you are ahead far enough for that) See what I mean? It is slightly different as meant in your step 6 and the note below. You shouldn't have to look at the green side if you want to hit the red side.
You may be on to something there. Joe's answer to your first question also gave me some ideas. It looks like I'll have to work on a version 3!