Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-12-09, 07:09 PM   #196
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

While I see the interest for protecting software, and absolutely sympathise with that, limited online activations and DRM keep me in infinite dependance from factors that are beyond my reach (servers, companies), and that I do not accept as long as I pay full price for it.

Since I wish these things to go away again, I cannot wish Black Shark and Rise of Flight success, since only financial failure of the distribution model has a chance to make producers changing it. If it is successful, they will stick with it - and that I do not wish. So I hope the sales numbers are so low that it sends them the message.

Customer's compliance was not what made Sony listening to customers of their copy-protected music CDs. Nor was customer's acceptance what made UBI and others dropping Starforce again. It was protest, public criticism, court cases and dissappointing sales numbers.

In the General Forum, I had laucnhed a thread on DRM and two simHQ-essays, one pro and one contra. while both were written competently and with calm reasoning, I agree with the contra's arguments more than with the pro's.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154722
Old 08-13-09, 05:49 AM   #197
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
Are you talking about ROF or Black Shark ?

I thought this was an ROF thread.
Black Shark; some things are worth fighting for.

Skybird, I agree with your reasoning, but good/realistic flight-sims are few and far between. Might be another 10 years before something like Rise of Flight pops up again. Although I admire sticking to your guns, maybe sometimes you need to make an exception (I folded for BS, and only BS).

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 07:41 AM   #198
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Skybird, I agree with your reasoning, but good/realistic flight-sims are few and far between. Might be another 10 years before something like Rise of Flight pops up again.
So what...? If that title in ten years is DRM, too, it is a non-starter as well, so why should I care for it? Better they get the lesson today, and by that increasing the chance that once they go with a new title again they will give up on DRM. In other business fields, both software and music, they haven given up on it already, saying out loud that it was a failure.

The message is they did not give up because the model was successful or they showed good willingness, but because it proved to be an economic failure and/or a damage to their business reputation.

Quote:
Although I admire sticking to your guns, maybe sometimes you need to make an exception (I folded for BS, and only BS).
This is no principal stubborness by me. I see DRM as being simply wrong, and tackling consumer's rights ( for example to resell a legally bought item, or to run it even without the needed server being in existence anymore).

I personally consider solid dongle solutions as good copy protection. It does a good job in delaying piracy successes in the first important weeks (which is what it all is about: delaying piracy in the first weeks), and from SBP I know that there are almost no complaints from the community, and the Codemeter dongle sticks having a good reputation in getting the intended job done. Customers' interest: taken care of, business interests: taken care of as well. Of course some will start whining again about how stressful it is for them to have to plug in and out a dongle and handle it appropriately so that it does not break after two months of use (maybe less stressful than having to plug and unplug a joystick?), but I know that it can be done. Like people complaining about disc's "limited lifetime", but throwing them around carelessly, scratching them mindlessly, using them to put their cup of coffee onto them, letting them fall onto the ground, touching the surface instead of carrying them with fingers put at the edges only. I never clean my discs, and my oldest discs are from the mid-80s - and still are as clear and shiny as a freshly polished mirror. So, handling discs with care and without needing to think about it can be done, too, you just must not behave like an elephant in a Chinese shop. In no way that is any "effort". And it is the same way with dongles.
Old 08-13-09, 01:47 PM   #199
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Location: Sat behind my desk at BdU tapping away on my Enigma machine.
Downloads: 44

I'll be buying this sim with my first wage. I cannot wait, roll on next Friday
Captain Birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 07:58 PM   #200
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Ha, I totally forgot about this one. What are the planes that are included in the game? (flyable) The movies look totally cool.
Old 08-23-09, 10:47 AM   #201
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Location: Sat behind my desk at BdU tapping away on my Enigma machine.
Downloads: 44

Guys,

I'm running the game on the lowest settings, and it seems every 20 or so seconds I get really bad FPS.

My specs are:
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
2GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @2600 MHz

I'm running the game on my D drive, will this effect FPS?

Any help please?
Captain Birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 09:05 AM   #202
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Without having read through all 5 pages of this thread I just remind you (again?) that due to this wonderful thing called DRM the sim needs to be constantly connected to the internet - even if you intend to play SP.

That means you can'T play on a PC without active connection. And it means if the corresponding server goes down, you cannot play as well.
According to Aerosoft, the german publisher of RoF, there will be an offline mode for RoF in 1Q 2010. After that patch, user with no interest in multiplayer will no longer need a permanent online connection just to play the singleplayer campaign/missions

For the ones who can read German, here is the announcement from a RoF-Supporter
http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=30765

Last edited by Seeadler; 12-17-09 at 12:03 PM.
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 09:39 AM   #203
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
After that patch, user with no interest in multiplayer will no longer need a permanent online connection just to play the singleplayer campaign/missions

In that case I'll gladly buy the game
Old 12-17-09, 10:34 AM   #204
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

That sounds interesting indeed.