SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-09-13, 12:23 PM   #196
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Does that happen with just fm newinterior installed in GWX with no other mods?
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 05:29 PM   #197
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Yes! I have sh3.exe patched, but no good.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 07:03 PM   #198
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Yes! I have sh3.exe patched, but no good.
Could you expand on that, please. Patched to which version? And how?

We may be able to help you if we have more information.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 05:18 AM   #199
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Patched with 4gb patch!
The all story: I had sh3+gwx+mod soup running fine with my previous OP - win xp. I had to format my pc and decided to go to Win 7 (went for XP before just to keep playing SH3 with out trouble). I bought a new copy of the game, taht already comes with out sf, no dvd and 1.4 patched.
I installed the game at my normal silent hunters folder D:\ubisoft. installed gwx, and then my several mods. I got ctd. Then went to enable only one mod at the time to see what were the conflicts. I ask for help here to a few people and with their advice led to my find out that fm_interiors v1.0 or v2.1D enable alone with sh3+gwx gives CTD.
In the academy missions, the game loads up fine, in single and campaign I get CTD. Already explained to me that the game loads more information in single/campaign so that's why in academy I do not get any problem.
Old 10-10-13, 06:33 AM   #200
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Ok, thanks for the information. A couple more questions: What is your hardware configuration? Are you using Commander? Did you install a fresh copy of FM_Interiors from the zipped download? And did you clean out any previously saved games? I am grasping at straws here, because the only obvious explanation would be that your hardware can't handle it. That's a dead end, and I don't want to give up yet.
Old 10-10-13, 08:57 AM   #201
Txema
中国水兵

Downloads: 365

Hi Rhodes,

How much RAM do you have in your computer?
Txema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 08:58 AM   #202
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

My hardware is capable of handling, since with XP I never had this problem (and had only 3gb of ram).
Funny thing also, when the v1.0 come up, I had my previous PC, with XP and only 1 gb of ram and never had any problem in run it plus several mods.
I have a intel i5, 6gb of ram, win 7 32bit. Yes to all, clean register also after unstalling the game. Delete Sh3 saves, folder,game folder, etc. Yes, I re-download several of my mods, fm_interiors inclued.
Yes, use commander, but not when testing mods.
Old 10-10-13, 09:10 AM   #203
Txema
中国水兵

Windows 7 32 bits could be a problem here....

From the readme of the 4GB patch:

4GB-Patch (author unknown)
If the 4GB-Patch is activated in the OptionsSelector, then your saved file of SH3.exe will be adjusted to allow better memory usage of up to 4 GBytes of RAM. You must have a 64-bit computer, with a Windows (TM) 64-bit operating system; for example XP (very rare with 64-bits), Vista or Windows 7. Ticking this option serves no purpose, and may actually cause crashes, under these circumstances:
· Your computer holds 1 or fewer GByte of memory.
· Your computer is not a 64-bit computer.

In your case of 32 bits operative system, you should disable the 4GB patch...

Txema
Old 10-10-13, 09:17 AM   #204
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Yes, but the problem occurs always. I test it with and with out the 4gb patch and the result was the same.
Old 10-10-13, 09:33 AM   #205
Txema
中国水兵

Perhaps to make the fm newinterior mod work in Windows 7 you need the 64 bits version of Windows 7 with the 4GB patch activated...
Old 10-10-13, 10:07 AM   #206
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Win7? AFAIK, all versions of the 4GB patch are incompatible with 32-bit Win7.

You have Commander installed. Do you have the .cfg files for GWX3 installed also?

Have you ever, ever, EVER activated or deactivated any mod without rolling back Commander? (This is a really bad thing to do, and is guaranteed to cause problems.)
Old 10-10-13, 12:23 PM   #207
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txema View Post
Perhaps to make the fm newinterior mod work in Windows 7 you need the 64 bits version of Windows 7 with the 4GB patch activated...
And the mod worked with XP 32bits? Well, it's microsoft, so...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Win7? AFAIK, all versions of the 4GB patch are incompatible with 32-bit Win7.

You have Commander installed. Do you have the .cfg files for GWX3 installed also?

Have you ever, ever, EVER activated or deactivated any mod without rolling back Commander? (This is a really bad thing to do, and is guaranteed to cause problems.)
Win 7 32 bits. Incompatible how? The game loads fine and I am running several mods and sh3.exe is patched with 4gb.

Yes, I have. But I only run commander when going play in my careers. What I do is this:
I have sh3+gwx+several mods. A new mod comes up. I roll back commander. I see what the mod creator days about activation etc. I activate the mod. I then go to sh3 by clicking on the sh3, I do not load it thought commander. I see if the game loads fine, go to a single mission, and see if the game loads up fine. If so, I assume the mod is fine, no conflit and etc. Then when I want to play my career, I load the game by sh3 commander.

BigWalleye, normally I do, but I cannot remmember every time and a few times I may not, but that would not explain the conflict since (imo), do to that the last time I installed the game (clean installation)+gwx I went to enable the mod to see if the clean install worked and I didn't had installed commander yet.
Old 10-10-13, 12:59 PM   #208
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Win 7 32 bits. Incompatible how? The game loads fine and I am running several mods and sh3.exe is patched with 4gb.
32 bit OS have a self limitation of only reconzizing 4 gigs of RAM where as a 64 bit recognize up to 196 gigs IIRC on window 7
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 01:01 PM   #209
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
32 bit OS have a self limitation of only reconzizing 4 gigs of RAM where as a 64 bit recognize up to 196 gigs IIRC on window 7
I see, so using it or not is the same thing in a 32bit system. The system will not recognize more than 4gb of ram.
Old 10-10-13, 01:06 PM   #210
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

OK, we can eliminate the Commander rollback issue. And your approach to installing new mods is irreproachable! I wish I had that much discipline.

However, I do recommend that you not use the 4GB patch in a 32-bit environment. I can hardly say that I know exactly what the 4GB patch does. So I don't know that having it present in a 32-bit machine would or would not cause a problem, what the nature of that problem might be, or under what conditions a problem might show up. I do think it is worthwhile to try running without the patch, if only to eliminate that as a possible cause of your problem.