SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-17, 02:21 PM   #136
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
... Hellcat's model from pack-3d is on my HD and definitely adding it to the game is in my to-do list
My fingers are crossed that it goes smoothly and comes out soon!... Very nice Wildcat there gap, and bomb too! great stuff. Chant: Hellcat hellcat hellcat... sorry, can't help myself.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 07:40 PM   #137
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Sorry Kendras. I had family problems actually (all is fine now). My bad for not answering your calls before.
No problem. The important thing is that you're still there to help with your great talent !

Quote:
Summing up: I have created some new USN/USMC paint schemes for the upcoming new model of the Wildcat. The one portrayed below is the so called "Atlantic Scheme II" (there was a three-colour "Atlantic Scheme I" too, but it was rarely used):

Wonderful ! Just don't find a better word !

Are the different parts (wings, propeller ...) independent, so we could make them destroyable ?

Quote:
I got bored with my paint job eventually, and in preparation of the upcoming British paint schemes
Did you also create these textures :

Quote:
Found a website with summary information on the main FAA Squadrons with aircraft flown and carriers that they were assigned to month by month.
This data, crossed with detailed service histories of Commonwealth's carriers, available on naval-history.net, is more than it would be needed to simulate realistic WWII carrier movements with their aircraft equipment changing over the conflict duration. Naval-history in particular is a goldmine of precious information. Its service history section is so complete, that even number or aircraft embarked, daily sorties, bomb loadouts, aircraft lost in action, etc. are recorded for each carrier, often with side notes on the usage and effectiveness of aircraft and various ordnance types at different stages of the war.
Good find !

Quote:
While digging the web for historical information, I found that the early carrier-borne dive bomber used by the FAA, the Blackburn Skua, is absent for game. I looked the web for a free 3D model of it, but I couldn't find any, and I decided to model it myself. It is still too early for a preview of it, but I can say is coming along nicely, the main problem being the lack of good pictures and drawings of it. I realized that World of Warplanes has a decent model of it though, so I had to play the game shortly untill I was given the aircraft, for me to look around it more closely in the hangar
Another airplane ? Great news !

Quote:
While looking again the web for information on the bombs most commonly carried by the Skua, I found unclassified US information on US, British, French and Italian WWII airborne ordnance, including bombs and depth charges (not rockets and air torpedoes unfortunately). Detailed drawings and information on sizes, type and weight of explosive charges, detonations mechanisms, etc. are provided
SH games are pretty basic when it comes to air bombs they represent, and information on them is pretty sparse on the web, so I was so happy when I found those documents that I had to start modelling some British ordnance. For a start, I focused on the various marks of the AS series (anti-submarine) 100, 250, 500 and 600-lb British bombs. Have you ever heard about them before? It is surprising how few information on them is available on the web, though they were widely used by the British during both World Wars. For what I learned, they were a compromise between an HE bomb and a depth charge. They could explode immediately on contact (with target's plate or with the water surface), after a delay variable from 0.5 to 2 seconds or, when fitted with an hydrostatic pistol, at a fixed depth of 5.5, 7, or 9.1 m depending on bomb's weight. Apparently, early marks of the 100-lb bomb were totally inneffective against the reinforced hull of WWII submarines, but later marks, especially of the 250, 500 and 600 lb bombs, were quite an effective deterrant against surfaced U-boats. As an example, here is my rendition of the AS 100 lb Mk IV bomb in post-42 dark bronze green color (until late '42, the standard colour for British HE bombs was buff yellow):

What do you think? If you are interested into having those bombs, I can send them your way as I finish modelling them
Yes, I would be very pleased, since I plan to release also a bomb library with the mod !

Quote:
Hellcat's model from pack-3d is on my HD and definitely adding it to the game is in my to-do list
Old 03-04-17, 11:17 AM   #138
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
My fingers are crossed that it goes smoothly and comes out soon!...

[...]

Chant: Hellcat hellcat hellcat... sorry, can't help myself.
If Hellcat must be, Hellcat will be. You conuldn't be more explicit.
By the way, 3DPack got a nice Bearcat model too. Pity that the plane didn't enter service in time for WWII... or rather my luck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Very nice Wildcat there gap, and bomb too! great stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Wonderful ! Just don't find a better word !
Thank you guys, you are too kind
You might have noticed that my texturing work is slightly inaccurate though, in having roundels on both upper and under wings. In reality, mid-war US aircraft had roundels only on the left upper wing and right under wing. Unfortunately model's UV map uses the same texture for both wings, but I will mask the redundant roundels with some plain-colored faces that I will add to the model as equipments.

Quote:
Are the different parts (wings, propeller ...) independent, so we could make them destroyable ?
So far propeller, windshield, wing roots, outer wings, ailerons, left and right undercarriage, horizontal stabilizers, elevators and rudder, are separate objects. I wonder if I should also do the whole tail section detachable from the rest of the fuselage

Quote:
Did you also create these textures :
All the paint schemes described in this article will be featured.
I use Wings Palette for getting high quality drawings of the camoufflages listed in the webpage above, that I base my paint work on (though not always illustrators get colors accurate).

Quote:
Yes, I would be very pleased, since I plan to release also a bomb library with the mod !
I will send you an update when I get all the British A/S bombs ready. This mod will need quite a lot of testing and fine-tuning to get damage values and radii, fall speeds, etc. fairly realistic. Some work on Splash/explosion effects will be required too. I think I will leave that part to you...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 04:52 PM   #139
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

gap,

the roundels use a separate 3D model to render so you should just paint the wings then add a roundel object.

If you don't have SH3 I can send you example files.
Old 03-05-17, 07:30 AM   #140
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
gap,

the roundels use a separate 3D model to render so you should just paint the wings then add a roundel object.

If you don't have SH3 I can send you example files.
Thank you Jeff, I know what you mean, but I prefer painting roundels directly on the main texture, because doing so provides a bigger flexibility as to their size and position, which varied during the course of the war
Old 03-05-17, 06:11 PM   #141
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

I'd add the roundels as an eqp thing in that case.
enlarge the roundel as needed and place it in a separate dat in the Library.
Old 03-05-17, 07:44 PM   #142
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'd add the roundels as an eqp thing in that case.
enlarge the roundel as needed and place it in a separate dat in the Library.
That's more or less what I plan doing, but I compared to SHIII/GWX I am reversing the concept (roundels painted straight on the texture, and plain-color faces used as library equipments for masking them out whenever needed).

Provided that only a few paint schemes will require some of their roundels masked out, an that all of them share the same 2 or 3 wing colours, I find this approach more practical for my purposes.
Moreover, painting the roundels directly on the texture, allows me to blend them in Photoshop, rather than simply overlapping them in game, thus making rivets, scratches, etc from the bottom layer still visible though the roundels, and matching main texture's patterns
Old 03-05-17, 10:12 PM   #143
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

When the Wildcat is finished, don't forget to send it to me in order I make a battery of tests. And also add bombs/rockets under its wings !
Old 03-08-17, 04:25 PM   #144
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've had a dream ...

Old 03-23-17, 03:56 AM   #145
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Maybe ...

Hi,

I thought about something today. If my intuition is correct, the carried rockets might be always destroyed when launched with the method I've tested (with random results), if the rocket model has also internal surfaces.

Will try to do that ! (when enough time)
Old 03-26-17, 07:20 PM   #146
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Any news about the Wildcat / Hellcat aircrafts ?
Old 07-02-17, 12:19 PM   #147
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Will try to finish this mod during the week.

Old 07-04-17, 07:31 PM   #148
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Old 07-06-17, 03:28 PM   #149
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

And ............. the Wildcat ! With a texture made by me.

Old 07-06-17, 06:42 PM   #150
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon10

Quote:
Now you know you'll have to have "The Red Tails" done correctly don't you?
Done :