SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-26-06, 07:39 PM   #1
Enigma
The Old Man

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Russia to Oman?

In helping me build a mission....

Can anyone take an educated guess as to which route a Kilo would take if sailing from Russia to the Gulf of Oman?

Also, Ive learned to add a sound event when a goal is met, however, I cant seem to figure out how to get the "Mission Complete: Report for Debrief" when ALL goals are met. Anyone?

Cheers!

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 11:42 PM   #2
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
Can anyone take an educated guess as to which route a Kilo would take if sailing from Russia to the Gulf of Oman?
For the first leg of the journey, she'd drive onto the back of a heavy lift ship.

I'm not sure that KILOs really have the range to do that sort of thing.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 11:55 PM   #3
Enigma
The Old Man

Hmmm.

Thanks for the response...

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
Old 12-27-06, 10:18 AM   #4
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
For the first leg of the journey, she'd drive onto the back of a heavy lift ship.

I'm not sure that KILOs really have the range to do that sort of thing.
That having been said, from Europe it would most likely sail through the Med/Suez Canal/Red Sea.
Old 12-27-06, 10:57 AM   #5
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Don't they still have a Med fleet stationed on the Black Sea? I'd see them traveling thru the Dardenelles and transit the Med into the Suez Canal and Red Sea? Granted, I don't know if DW allows for a Black Sea transit thru the Dardenelles.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 04:39 PM   #6
Enigma
The Old Man

Cheers, Bill....

Anyone got anything on the "Mission Complete: Report for Debrief" issue?

Im building a mini campaign to A) learn the campaign editor and B) make some missions to suit my own selfish wants and needs

It's been fun so far. My first mission was a simple ride out from Pearl with a dive point to arrive at and a few targets for "practice" before you go to sea on your real mission. I've found the editor quite nice to use. I opened one of Bill's missions in my editor last night to see if I could figure something out by seeing how he did it, but the sheer volume of stuff on the creen sscared me off in quite a hurry. :rotfl:

I have a story line in place id like to build it around, that basically involves the Russians outfitting or selling subs to the Iranians. I've got some way cool ideas.

Old 12-27-06, 08:42 PM   #7
johnsonmish
Nub

Downloads: 8

When I was in the Navy I tracked a Soviet Kilo to the gulf in 1986. It inchopped the Med, then went through the Suez Canal, then to the gulf. The Soviets used to have an anchorage outside the gulf on the island of Socorra. They may or may not still use it. Also, they usually towed their diesel subs to station to save wear on the propulsion systems.
johnsonmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 10:20 PM   #8
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
Don't they still have a Med fleet stationed on the Black Sea? I'd see them traveling thru the Dardenelles and transit the Med into the Suez Canal and Red Sea? Granted, I don't know if DW allows for a Black Sea transit thru the Dardenelles.
I thought that Ukraine got the Black Sea Fleet, or at least a part of it. I dunno, though, I might be wrong.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:02 AM   #9
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

The alrosa is the only kilo and only submarine based in the black sea / med at this time, the russians dont like using the suez because it is like giving the enamy a map with a dot saying heres my submarine.

The kilo's have around an 8,000 mile range enough to get you there but not enough to get back, the submarine would leave vladivostok and probably refuel and re arm in india then make for oman returning back to india to refuel to go back to vladivostok.

The kilos would leave vladivostok then go down to the phillipeans through indonisia and into the indian ocean stopping probably at mumbai, then on it would take about 6 months there and back with a patrol.

Not worth a kilo going all that way when the akula's or victor 3's could do it in 3 to 4 months. without the stop.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:27 AM   #10
Enigma
The Old Man

Hmm. Maybe I should revise my plot to use Akula's being sold to Iran rather than Kilos....

Old 12-28-06, 05:58 PM   #11
johnsonmish
Nub

Downloads: 8

Why not just make a scenario against Iran, India, or China? Each of these countries currently have a number of Kilos. Plus, there is a greater probability that the US Navy would be engaging either an Iranian or Chinese Kilo then a Russian Kilo. You could place the thing either in the Persian Gulf against Iran or off the coast of Taiwan against China.
johnsonmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 08:09 PM   #12
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
The Dardanelles in DW is blocked by land.

In reality, the Montreux Convention of 1936 gives Turkey control over the Bosporus and Dardanelles. Article 12 of the convention limits the transit of submarines through the straits. (This is why all Soviet/Russian subs sent to patrol in the Med must come through the Gibraltar Strait.)

Article 12.
Black Sea Powers shall have the right to send through the Straits, for the purpose of rejoining their base, submarines constructed or purchased outside the Black Sea, provided that adequate notice of the laying down or purchase of such submarines shallI have been given to Turkey.
Submarines belonging to the said Powers shall also be entitled to pass through the Straits to be repaired in dockyards outside the Black Sea on condition that detailed information on the matter is given to Turkey.
In either case, the said submarines must travel by day and on the surface, and must pass though the Straits singly.

( http://www.turkishpilots.org/DOCUMENTS/montro.html )