SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-13, 11:59 AM   #1
Foxendown
Bosun

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default What is going on at SES?

Does anyone have any info about what is happening at SES? I can't log into Storm Powered, the website and forum are down and all I can get are error messages, of which one says they are migrating to a new server. Maybe that's all there is to it but I would have expected some kind of notification (in amongst the numerous advertising emails), if they were going to suspend their services but maybe I'm missing something.
Foxendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 03:48 AM   #2
bill clarke
Captain

Downloads: 40

I get this when I try and log in to the forums
General Error

SQL ERROR [ mssqlnative ]

SQLSTATE: 28000 code: 18456 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'littlebear'. SQLSTATE: 42000 code: 4060 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Cannot open database "PHPBB" requested by the login. The login failed. SQLSTATE: 28000 code: 18456 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'littlebear'. SQLSTATE: 42000 code: 4060 message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Cannot open database "PHPBB" requested by the login. The login failed. [4060]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Just tries to fire up SP, it usually just goes to the screen and I launch the game. This time it asked me to log in, then the front screen poped up for a second, then disapeared.

Nothing on the stormpowered website about it.

Last edited by bill clarke; 01-10-13 at 03:56 AM. Reason: extra info
bill clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 09:30 AM   #3
Foxendown
Bosun

Well the Stormeagle studios site is still down, but the Stormpowered website is up (with a new look) and I've just tested out the purchase side and it is actually possible to buy stuff there using PayPal (not a card).

So it seems perfectly possible for people to buy Jutland or Distant Guns and then not be able to run them. I can't believe this company can behave in such an amateurish and inconsiderate way towards its loyal customers like me (and there appear to be few of us left, people seem to be migrating to Steam and Iron) and its potential customers. Whatever you think about Steam I can't imagine they would take down all their servers at once without communication with their customers.

Of course if it turns out they sent me an email (and I can find no trace of one), I will retract these comments at once.
Old 01-10-13, 10:15 AM   #4
Tribesman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

All I am getting is "activate trial version" just like the long running sillyness before, the forum is still down (though that seems pretty abandoned anyway).
Last e~mail was just another "sale" one on the 31st
Old 01-10-13, 11:31 AM   #5
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I opened a ticket (the catch-all response to any SES woes) and have an acknowledgement of receipt but no reply after two-full working days.

Based on SES' normal lack of customer service, no surprise that you can buy their products and not be able to run them.

I am seeing exactly what Bill Clarke is seeing when I try to run either Jutland or DG.

Now back to Steam and Iron!

Edit

Their website and Forum (such as it is) is back up under the new server and Stormpowered finally accepted my login so it appears to be fixed.

Last edited by Randomizer; 01-10-13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 01:42 PM   #6
Foxendown
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Their website and Forum (such as it is) is back up under the new server and Stormpowered finally accepted my login so it appears to be fixed.
I still can't get anything to work. Storm Eagle Studios now redirects to Stormpowered but I can't log in. I managed to reset my password, but guess what.....the new password doesn't work either. Tried to open a new account...failed, tried support....couldn't log in. None of this would be an issue but for their oppressive DRM. Customer care-0/10.
Old 01-10-13, 02:32 PM   #7
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Found the website and forum through a Google search and replaced the old URL's with the new ones.

As for the rest, agree 100% and I am having the same login issues as you. No response on the submitted Ticket either and the old Tech Support links no longer work.

Poor customer care from SES is as inevitable as the coming of daybreak.
Old 01-10-13, 07:51 PM   #8
bill clarke
Captain

I tried to find the working website through a google search , the first result returned a error 404 file or directory not found.

I still cant log in to SP either. Do I uninstall and reinstall SP? Cant find the forums either.

Last edited by bill clarke; 01-10-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 03:57 AM   #9
Foxendown
Bosun

I registered on the Stormpowered forum and posted there asking for information. Thirty views but no reply. The SES site is still down but all their products are still for sale on the Stormpowered website. My next move is to email Jim Rose.
Old 01-11-13, 11:45 AM   #10
Foxendown
Bosun

I have now had a prompt reply from Mike at SES to a message I sent today via the Contact Us link on the Stormpowered website.

"The servers have been undergoing maintenance over the past several days. Make sure you’re connected to the internet when launching StormPowered, and the update process should implement the new changes. I’m sorry for the trouble this has caused, and we appreciate your continued patience while we resolve any residual issues from the server updates."

And after I had raised some issues about communication.

"Unfortunately everybody around here has been so busy with the server maintenance over the last few days that we’ve been unable to keep up with communication. There will be an update on the forums at some point today letting everybody know the situation."

Well some hope then of being back in my Dogger Bank saved game soon.

One good thing from all this-I found out about Steam and Iron and have downloaded the demo. I can see already from a brief play that it's very good, but I'm an addict for Jutland's 3D-good to have both in my case.
Old 01-11-13, 01:02 PM   #11
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the update.

Quote:
One good thing from all this-I found out about Steam and Iron and have downloaded the demo. I can see already from a brief play that it's very good, but I'm an addict for Jutland's 3D-good to have both in my case.
Steam and Iron is short on graphics but long on depth but at least you checked it out. Personally, eye candy is always far less important than substance but to each his own.

Cheers
Old 01-11-13, 07:34 PM   #12
Foxendown
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Steam and Iron is short on graphics but long on depth but at least you checked it out. Personally, eye candy is always far less important than substance but to each his own.
Well I have games that are a mixture, everything from minimalist top down 2D maps to graphics that make my PC wince in pain. What I play depends on the mood I'm in.

Got into S&I a bit more, the Dogger Bank scenario.The format would work well with WWII perhaps. Yes it's very good, but I did notice that AI ships were collision prone (I may be missing something there).

Jutland fully up and running now.
Old 01-12-13, 02:38 PM   #13
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxendown View Post
Jutland fully up and running now.
Glad you're sorted, my Jutland is still loading with errors, my account user name and password is not recognized and contacting Stormpowered using the rather hard to find "Contact Us" link resulted in an email reading "Unable to process request. Please try contacting Customer Service Department by licking here."

Except the link is dead.

Writing as a retired 'civil servant', such poor customer service and bureaucratic run-around almost implies government involvement. About ready to bin the lot...
Old 01-12-13, 11:31 PM   #14
bill clarke
Captain

Running for me too
Old 01-13-13, 07:56 AM   #15
Foxendown
Bosun

The game is working fine and I can log in. However I have tried using it offline and I get an Error 500 message, something about being unable to find a file and upload to server. Game still runs though, but won't close down properly (black screen after which I have to force quit the process) so all is clearly not well.

I have also noticed that a couple of the scenarios crash the game if you try to load them, not sure if this is anything to do with the recent troubles. They are called something like CG@blue2 and CG at Queenstown (may not be exactly right, I'm not on my games PC). They may be something to do with Ship Pack 1, which I don't have, I've never run them before.

Is it worth a shot at emailing Mike direct info@stormeaglestudios.com