SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-18, 11:53 PM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Some thoughts about the mission options

When patrolling the campaign map I can head towards a visible enemy, I see the enemy heading towards me (often as a result of running too fast), or I don't see the enemy and - pop - in all these cases I get to the mission screen.

But now there are some puzzles to resolve: chosing the range?

What you really mean, Killerfish Games, is not the range but a random seed!
Because:

I only get to know the range to target after an elaborated TMA work. When I get it to 80% or better (on Realistic or Elite) the last unknown number will be the range. Ok. Back to the mission screen.

At mission start, I don't have all this TMA. So how the hell am I able to chose my range to target, do I have god's eye ??

Please Killerfish Games make this more clear here and in your manual. I think you have chosen the bad wording. Shouldn't it read:

- Chose a random distance to enemy within : 10, 15, 25 kyds (which has the only purpose to randomize the gameplay)
- Man Battlestations

If you are detected first, then if you chose 25 the enemy will be randomly placed at the max. distance where it can detect you. Can be much closer due to rough sea and strong duct conditions!
Your disadvantage > You don't have any choice. (Seems to work as intented)

If you detect the enemy first, then you will be placed in a random position at that distance from the enemy
Your advantage > Your choice (Seems broken currently > BUG)

That's how I have reconstructed it. But does it work so? If yes, then this 'Close To' choice should go in the GAME OPTIONS, not in a mission briefing !!

Thanks to elaborate!

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-14-18 at 12:01 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 12:16 AM   #2
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

As I understand it, both from ingame experience and snippets picked up here. You will spawn at roughly the set range from whichever contact is identified as Sierra 1, however they may move towards or away from you before you are able to get accurate TMA on them, and there may be closer contacts that you didn't detect immediately. The close range does help to increase the ability for you to reacquire the target after you spawn, but also has a risk of spawning you within detection range of the contact.

I've found it is still useful to be able to decide on the fly whether or not to close on the target, for example, if the enemy catches me running at full speed, I'd rather be farther away then if I'm drifting while hunting an SSK.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 12:22 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I know how it works (or how it should, because some transits are broken, see the latest Steam discussions), but it's not clear at all and should be more described in the manual - or the whole wording should be replaced with something that one can understand. Imagine this:

Sonarman : New contact, Sierra1, 25 degrees!
Commander: CO, close to 15 kyds!
CO: Aye, aye Sir!
CO: Caugh..., caugh..., hum, Sir, we don't have any range yet!

Do you see the problem?
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote