SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-12, 03:47 PM   #811
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothersome View Post
After reading your replies, I still have room in my mind now that it may have been a mod exchange. But I'm pretty sure that I had not changed anything except a float/dive mod. I had been trying to find a good mod to set the boat float hight and dive speeds and depth holding. That may have been what caused the CTD. I've also changed this in my current stock game. So we'll find out as soon as I get back from out in the Atlantic.

Right now, I'm on stock campaign. If it CTD again, I'll know that was the problem.
Thanks Bothersome
All feedback and bug reports are most welcome
Old 03-11-12, 05:14 PM   #812
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post

The same can happen if you edit or change the flotilla or equip on player boat.cfg

(C/41) from start of campaign mod does this
Thanks Trevally, that's good to know (and a good reminder).

Quote:
... But I'm pretty sure that I had not changed anything except ...
hehehe .. you know, that's exactly what I usually think .

I think excitement usuallly drives my mistakes. I see something in a forum and think "ya, gonna go try that", then I see some cool idea in another post and think "ya, let me give that a go", and before you know it, something happens, because I was overzealous . I have to get used to the idea of making changes in port even if the mod says we can do it at sea, just to be safe.

I hope you get it figured out, or that things are cleared up for you now. ... and don't forget to go back to OHII.
Old 03-12-12, 09:23 PM   #813
quink99
中国水兵

Downloads: 941
Uploads: 0

Trevally, I think I may need a hand.

Yesterday, after rearranging my MODs, I started a new career using OH II in Coastal Waters and was about halfway along Kiel Harbor when, much to my amazement, ahead of me, floating quite high in the air, were some sailors and some officers and a German flag all by themselves.......no ship, just those things. I immediately looked at my TAI and it showed me on a close collision course with a merchant ship. Back once again to the harbor view and still no ship but lots of wailing sirens and collision noises and no, I don't smoke, ANYTHING! Here is a screenshot taken right after with nothing in the way of a ship visible. I have no idea what the wreckage drapped over my bridge is. Here's a screenshot;

After recovering from this surprise I thought I'd try again and here is the result of that second misadventure;

All thoughts or suggestions are greatfully solicited. Thanks
quink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 12:42 AM   #814
Yass_27
Swabbie

Downloads: 80

I start playing with this **** because I heard from this.
Amazing! I feel the smell of the seas ( and my crew :/ )
At least you guys build a castle from ****. ( hungarian proverb )
( and sorry for my bad english, if I mistaken something )
Yass_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 06:17 AM   #815
Bothersome
Planesman

Downloads: 64

I've got a somewhat stable campaign going now. But it is not with OH-II.

I don't think now that my problem was with OH-II but perhaps some mod jugling as mentioned before. But with OH-II I was not able to remove mods at sea so that I could sail back to home port to continue the game.

A simular thing happened to my stock campaign but I was able to isolate the problem to a beta version of that new user interface coming out. After I removed it, even at sea (close to Dover) the game continued on with no other ill effects. But I had to use the stock interface. Once I got in to home port I put on TDW's 6.9.0 UI. Seems to work OK but still have a few problems but cannot attribute it to his interface mod. Because I'm running a mix of mods that are not neccarily compatible.

Look and see...

Remove Electric Torpedo Wakes
sobers see thru wake fix
Real Environment - Revision_3
FX_Update_0_0_19_ByTheDarkWraith
Dynamic Environment SH5 Basemod (realistic version) V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 Sounds V2.1
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_No_Snorkel_Exhaust_Smoke
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith
Depth_Keeping_Problem_HB_2_0_0_TheDarkWraith
Manos Scopes-patch for 16x9

The conflicts come from FX_Update overwriting stuff from RealEnv (needed the ship damage model so they would sink eventually). Then Dynamic Env overwrite more stuff from RealEnv and FX and that cause even more instability. Or it's a guess that it does. I need the Dynamic Env to fix the crappy weather in the game. I need RealEnv to fix the moon and sky and clouds.

What it comes down to, is that the mod makers wont work together and do a part of the game really well and leave the other parts to those that know how to do those parts. WHY on earth would the FX-Update have to have float/sinking parameters in it? Can't we just have the small single mods that we can mix? One mod to fix the sinking, another mod to fix the sky, another mod to fix the crazy weather, another to fix the interface, but each mod not screw with other mod's files? When we put on an interface mod, we don't need a color/sky fix with it. (not saying that it has but that's the idea). Quit bundling all these fixes into one mod that just causes problems with other mods. Once we get all the small mods that we like someone or a team can put together all the best mods that work together and call it a super mod. That one super mod would be all that you should install and nothing else. Or if you do add on other stuff (for example a faster dive mod) then the new mod would only effect that parameter that you wanted to change. The dive mod should not contain anything else other than what's needed to make the sub dive faster.

Anyway, that's my rant.

So far on my above mod soup. Things crash occasionally when the ships are on fire and taking a slow damage to sink. Most times it works ok. Others it crashes to desktop. But in each crash I was able to just load the latest autosave and continue the fight. However, I noticed damaged ships, get a full refit after a load. At least the weather loaded back what it was at time of save. But I haven't had to do a restart at base or load an earlier save to get moving again.

Anyway that's the way the ball bounces, later.
Bothersome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 06:35 AM   #816
flostt
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 86

Bothersome,

You should not use Real Environment and Dynamic Environment at the same time.....you will have to choose one of them...
Old 03-13-12, 10:48 AM   #817
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Once we get all the small mods that we like someone or a team can put together all the best mods that work together and call it a super mod. That one super mod would be all that you should install and nothing else. Or if you do add on other stuff (for example a faster dive mod) then the new mod would only effect that parameter that you wanted to change. The dive mod should not contain anything else other than what's needed to make the sub dive faster.

I think you should take a look at this one; http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192236

Besides - go for Dynamic Environment

Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 01:31 PM   #818
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink99 View Post
Trevally, I think I may need a hand.

Yesterday, after rearranging my MODs, I started a new career using OH II in Coastal Waters and was about halfway along Kiel Harbor when, much to my amazement, ahead of me, floating quite high in the air, were some sailors and some officers and a German flag all by themselves.......no ship, just those things. I immediately looked at my TAI and it showed me on a close collision course with a merchant ship. Back once again to the harbor view and still no ship but lots of wailing sirens and collision noises and no, I don't smoke, ANYTHING! Here is a screenshot taken right after with nothing in the way of a ship visible. I have no idea what the wreckage drapped over my bridge is. Here's a screenshot;

After recovering from this surprise I thought I'd try again and here is the result of that second misadventure;

All thoughts or suggestions are greatfully solicited. Thanks
Hi quink99

For pic 1
I have not seen anything like that before. Perhaps a whole reinstall may be in order.

Pic 2
This looks like your mem or card mem is running out - What graphics card do you use. Could be related to the first pic - try the reinstall
Old 03-13-12, 01:33 PM   #819
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yass_27 View Post
I start playing with this **** because I heard from this.
Amazing! I feel the smell of the seas ( and my crew :/ )
At least you guys build a castle from ****. ( hungarian proverb )
( and sorry for my bad english, if I mistaken something )
Köszönet Yass

I think
Old 03-13-12, 02:52 PM   #820
quink99
中国水兵

Downloads: 941

Trevally,

Thanks for the reply.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX550Ti which is way over the minimum stated requirments for SH 5 and has worked quite well with the game for several months now and has Nvidia's latest WHQL driver installed.

Is it possible that the missing ship's visual file(s) are not being pulled up out of the OH II files when required for some mysterious reason?

Reinstall? Do you mean all of SH 5 or just OH II? (He said with fingers crossed for good luck.)
quink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 03:03 PM   #821
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I've got a somewhat stable campaign going now. But it is not with OH-II.
Glad to hear it And don't forget to follow what flostt said about those environment mods.

Quote:

Anyway, that's my rant.
To be honest with you, it's a good rant. No worries.

Many modders actually do work together, so that their stuff meshes well, and that has minimized these conflicts and problems, which is a good thing!

I agree that there are some things that should be left out of certain mods and left to others instead, because it does sometimes create some nightmares or mod choice issues.

As an example of modders working together, there is a file - zone.cfg - in FX_Update that is used in OHII as well, but the OHII team have set up zone.cfg so that it contains everything from FX_Update, allowing that one to be safely overwritten. (Trevally, I hope I explained that correctly)

Quote:
Reinstall? Do you mean all of SH 5 or just OH II? (He said with fingers crossed for good luck.)
I'm not sure what Trevally is going to suggest, but if it's a full reinstall, it actually doesn't take that long. I've done it a few times over the last week or so, and it went by quickly. Don't forget to disable all your mods first before deinstalling.

Cheers!
Old 03-13-12, 03:06 PM   #822
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Trevally,

Thanks for the reply.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX550Ti which is way over the minimum stated requirments for SH 5 and has worked quite well with the game for several months now and has Nvidia's latest WHQL driver installed.
Yes - good card so should not be it

Quote:
Is it possible that the missing ship's visual file(s) are not being pulled up out of the OH II files when required for some mysterious reason?
Yes - could be. There are both stock and OHII ships that could be met in the middle of Kiel harbour.

Quote:
This is most likely a currupt file somewhere.
Where this has messed up you stock SH5 file - I have no idea.

What I would do to try and fix is:-
Remove all mods and store them safe on your desktop.
Delete your mods floder from sh5 dir
Run jsgme so that a new MODS folder is created
Put you mods back and install them
Test game.

If this does not fix it - you may need to reinstall sh5
Old 03-13-12, 03:09 PM   #823
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Infanterie19 View Post
(Trevally, I hope I explained that correctly)
Old 03-15-12, 06:57 AM   #824
Dwail
Sailor man

Downloads: 196

Hi. One question:

is realistic that your sound man (hydrophone) will hear the mines and nets?
Dwail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 08:02 AM   #825
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwail View Post
Hi. One question:

is realistic that your sound man (hydrophone) will hear the mines and nets?
I do not think so and thats why it is an addon mod for those who think it is

Tags
awesome, campaign, graf zeppelin, harbour, new bases, new ships, ohii